We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disneyland Rides - which ones to avoid

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
123 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Disneyland Rides - which ones to avoid

Visiting Disneyland in the first week of April, part of our 4 weeks in the US. I have a HUGE fear of heights, so would like to know which rides NOT to go on. You know, those ones that look ok but then you go thru some dark tunnel and next thing you know you're looking down a terrifying drop!

Happy to go fast, don't even mind the ones that go flying around bends etc, just don't want to end up on one I shouldn't be on!

I know there are the obvious ones to avoid, just want to be aware of the not-so-obvious ones!

Thanks.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
123 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disneyland Rides - which ones to avoid

Also, where would the best place be to buy souvenirs - I would assume Disneyland itself would be fairly pricey, are there plenty of other shops nearby that would sell them? Just after little things to bring home for friends.

Thanks again.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,753 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disneyland Rides - which ones to avoid

Well, Pirates of the Caribbeean has two drops in the beginning, one of which is in the dark. Howvever, if you truly knew how long that one is you would feel kind of wimpy being afraid of it.. It is the darkness and the fact it comes at the very beginning that gives the illusion of a long drop. It is actually over pretty quickly. Splash Mt. is what you want to avoid in Disneyland Park. In DCA Park avoid Tower of Tower and California Screaming. You might like Space Mt. since the drops are very short and it is curvy and fast. But it is in the dark and has some special effects at the beginning and end that may be hard for those with weak stomaches.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disneyland Rides - which ones to avoid

The big ferris wheel in California Adventure is not so good for those with a fear of heights. The ride goes slows, very predictable but you are hanging pretty high in the air. On Tower of Terror, if you sit in the back of the ride, you won't have a sense of how high up you are. It's just a giant elevator ride that goes up and down in the dark. Hard on the stomach but not too bad on heights if you sit in the very back row. Don't miss Pirates of the Caribbean though because it is mostly slow going and a Disney classic.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,878 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disneyland Rides - which ones to avoid

imo really there are no non obvious rides that would have a really long drop enough to make you very nervous.

but, pirates of the carribean as said does have a few short drops in the dark, as well as indianna jones has one short drop in the dark,

but you would really be missing something if you avoid those rides imo, as the drops are just not that extreme

a few of the childrens dark rides in fantasyland also have some short drops,but non in the total dark that im aware of

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,753 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disneyland Rides - which ones to avoid

Oh yeah, Indy! That is actually not a drop, but a very good illusion that makes it seem like a drop. There is a very large boulder that appears to be rolling towards your jeep and your jeep "drops" down just in time to avoid being smashed by it. However, nothing is actually as it seems. Which is really hard to believe. The jeep actually just temporarily drops a few inches, maybe not even a foot. It is so believeable, though, that your body and mind might believe you are falling. Actually, I find it a relief to get away from the "danger" of the boulder.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,753 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disneyland Rides - which ones to avoid

Also on Indy you go over a bridge with fire in the distance. You are in a large jeep with maybe 20 other guests. You might want to see if you can sit towards the inside where it might feel more secure to you. The way the ride is designed the movement comes mainly through the jeep. It is prettty jerky.

By the way, the Matterhorn should not bother you if you are thinking that. :)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,957 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disneyland Rides - which ones to avoid

You shouldn't be bothered by the "drop" in Pirates of the Caribbean, it is all of 10 feet, if that, Indy the drops are pretty obvious and not high and not even drops really, it is more like a bad cab ride in Karachi.

California Screamin' is an all outdoor rollercoaster with a loop, but you are never in the dark so you'll be able to see exactly where you are the whole time and you can see the whole ride from out front so you can decide.

The only definitely avoid would be the Twilight Tower of Terror, which is too bad since it is a way cool ride.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
123 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disneyland Rides - which ones to avoid

Thanks everybody - that's helped a lot. I had a quick look at the videos on the Disneyland website, and I think I'm brave enough for the rides you mentioned - I'll definitely be staying away from Tower of Terror and California Screaming and Splash mountain though. Indy and Pirates, I'l be fine with.

Thanks again - so excited about our trip!!

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disneyland Rides - which ones to avoid

I just wanted to add that I have a fear of heights, too, but I love Disneyland because so many of their rides do NOT have a big drop- even many of the roller coasters. The only ones I avoid are the ones you just mentioned- CA Screamin', Splash Mountain and Tower of Terror. I've actually done Splash a few times and managed OK, but have no need to do it again.

The Matterhorn, Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain all go fast, but don't drop, so I'm OK.

The one that I have to psych myself for is Soarin' over California. It's a truly awesome experience, but it does give you the sensation of being in a kite flyer, with your feet dangling, I found that if I got too "convinced" that I was really hanging from a kite over the Golden Gate Bridge, I could break the illusion by looking to the side and seeing the stable wall next to me. I also close my eyes as I get into position so I'm not really aware of how far from the ground I am. Honestly, every time I ride it, I'm glad I did it.

Orange, Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disneyland Rides - which ones to avoid

What a great question Shazz!!

As fellow Aussies we will also be at Disneyland the first week of April, and we are also spending 3 and a half weeks over there so this question has helped me also!!

Have a great trip, I know we cant wait either!!