We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ariel's Grotto or Picnic for the best viewing???

Napa, California
5 posts
Save Topic
Ariel's Grotto or Picnic for the best viewing???

My children (15 and 9) and I are going to DL on April 18-21. I am thinking of getting the Ariel's Grotto World of Color package for reserved viewing. Is it worth it? Should I just get the picnic package? Can we take the left over food from the Ariel's Grotto (from reading and looking at the pictures from different reviews,I'm sure we're not going to finish all the food esp the appetizers and bread)? I'm on a budget and I want to get the most for my money. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ariel's Grotto or Picnic for the best viewing???

Go for the Picnic meal, cheaper and you get the same basic "ShowPass" as if you get the full meal at Ariel's Grotto.

Napa, California
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ariel's Grotto or Picnic for the best viewing???

I read that the picnic will have the same spots as the people who lines up for a FP. Ariel's Grotto will have the "preferred" or "reserved" viewing spot. And that we still have to line up for an hour for the picnic to get to the spot, while Ariel's will only have about 20-30min wait. Is that true?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,395 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ariel's Grotto or Picnic for the best viewing???

there are different areas in the viewing area, and there are reserved areas that are only for those purchasing the picnic meal that is in a better area to watch, as well as the dinner meal is supposed to be in a preffered area to watch

if you get a regular fastpass without a meal it will not be in those areas

and it depends on how busy it is at the park when you go, i had a regular fastpass the first time i went, i arrived early at california adventure park and was able to get in the first viewing time,

at the viewing area, i didnt wait in line at all and was able to get a good spot by just arriving about 15 min early.

but i have heard that during busy times all of the areas will fill up quite fast and as early as an hour before hand.

here is a good webpage for info on world of color

mouseplanet.com/9336/MousePlanets_Guide_to_t…

Edited: 31 March 2011, 23:55
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,395 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ariel's Grotto or Picnic for the best viewing???

just an fyi, in case it was not very clear,

alot of people tend to think with the dinner meals that the restaurant has a world of color viewing area, that is not so, you would eat your dinner, and then take your fastpass ticket to the area near the world of color to the preffered seating area there.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ariel's Grotto or Picnic for the best viewing???

We went to Ariels Grotto for the dinner and it was great to be able to eat and sit out on the deck after dinner and then go to the reserved viewing area. I dont think the view is any better whichever meal plan u choose but it seemed less stressful and no lines when doing ariels grotto. The view was excellent from our area and we had a 2 and 4 year old and they could see clearly. If you go with ariels grotto choose one of the later dining times so you dont have to wait around between dinner and the show. By the way it is the most magical amzing thing ive seen - totally worth the dinner cost !!

Napa, California
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ariel's Grotto or Picnic for the best viewing???

Thanks everyone for great info and tips! I'm 4'11, my daughter is 4'5, but my son is 5'6. My daughter and I usually don't get to watch any standing viewing show because of the crowd. We don't have a lot of $$$, it took me a year and half to save for a trip to DL, I just want to make sure that I get every pennies worth. Hopefully paying a little extra will be able to have a nice viewing spot, since we don't get to go to DL very often. Thanks!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,395 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ariel's Grotto or Picnic for the best viewing???

for world of color, the viewing area is tiered so every level or tiered area can see even if you are short

fantasmic is also sloped slightly so it is easier to see.

and all you are really paying for is the meal as it would cost you that much to eat at those restaurants anyway, so the reserved viewing fastpass for world of color is just an added bonus.

Edited: 01 April 2011, 17:39
Napa, California
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ariel's Grotto or Picnic for the best viewing???

happytotrip,thank you so much for all the great info! You're right it does cost that much to eat at those restaurants, that's why we never get to eat at any of those restaurant. Great info! Thanks.

Level Contributor
2,784 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ariel's Grotto or Picnic for the best viewing???

Hello we just got back and did the Ariel Grotto dinner. I would hate to differ with the other folks that have answered here but we saw a very different experience. It is not very tiered at all. If you are not first in line even with the preferred dining you will have a hard time seeing all of the show. I would suggest doing the later show and having the first dinner they will let you have to get in line for the second show. My understanding is the fastpass and Picnic folks are in the same area together while The Preferred dining looked to me like the best spot in town but you have to be at the start of that line. Everyone in preferred dining will not have a good view. The dinner was good but a lot. I am sure you can take it out like any other meal. We also could see the first show from the doorway of the grotto. They would not seat anyone on the deck during the show except for a few lucky folks. We are not sure how they got those seats. Most were closed off. You can not see the screen for the show from the grotto but you can see the water.

It is a great show. Enjoy.

Edited: 03 April 2011, 18:30
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,395 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ariel's Grotto or Picnic for the best viewing???

usually those seats talked about at ariels grotto to view world of color are for special VIP's and would not be avaiable to most people

as you can see from this picture, the area to view world of color in is tiered, with 4 steps each going down each tier.

mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/101293-2/Paradise…