We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

do we need to tip in Disneyland?

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
595 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
do we need to tip in Disneyland?

I know tipping 15-20% is quite common in the US.

Do we also have to leave tips in DL restaurants since they are located within the theme park!

thanks for your help! im not familiar with tipping culture since they work in a service tax to most of our bills where I come from!

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: do we need to tip in Disneyland?

The same tipping will apply in DL as outside of DL. If it is a table service restaurant, meaning a waiter or waitress takes your order at the table and delivers you food etc., then you tip 15% to 20% of the bill depending on the service level. Most restaurants at DL are counter service style and you do not tip. At a buffet you can leave 10%.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,237 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: do we need to tip in Disneyland?

You do not HAVE to tip anyone, anywhere! It is discretionary based on good service.

If you feel that a tip is warranted then the levels JR gave you are appropriate.

Dr. Z

Alberta
Level Contributor
658 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: do we need to tip in Disneyland?

Ariel's Grotto adds 15% to your bill. I was not happy with the lack of service we received there, leads me to think if they didn't add it, no one would get a tip.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
17,996 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: do we need to tip in Disneyland?

Jen's advice is spot on.

To elaborate on what Dr. Z said, while tipping is customary, it is a custom that we enjoy because we do have a choice based on the level of service we receive. If service is bad we can just not tip at all, if poor we can tip a little, and if average or very good the norm is 15 % or 20% respectively for wait staff at any table service restaurant.

We just don't think of tipping as a matter of "having to", although we do often think of it a common added expense in some cases. For example, if I am watching my budget I choose not to go to the restaurants in Disneyland with table service - such as Carnation Cafe, Blue Bayou, Cafe Orleans - because I know I will spend more on top of just the cost of the meal. If I want to pamper myself or give myself a little indulgence, then I look at the added expense as just what I will pay to have some pamper me.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
318 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: do we need to tip in Disneyland?

Tipping is NOT mandatory. That said, if you enjoyed the service then please tip.

Disneyland Cast Members (i.e. employees) who work on attractions and merchandise and most restuarants are not allowed to recieve tips. If you feel that someone has provided exceptional service then you may send him/her a compliment at Disneyland City Hall (it's on Main Street near the train station). Those compliments are highly welcomed and appreciated by cast members and management.

If you visit a sit-down restaurant like the Blue Bayou or Ariel's Grotto then tipping is allowed, but ONLY if you feel it is deserved. The same goes for the staff at the Disney hotels.

Singapore
Level Contributor
595 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: do we need to tip in Disneyland?

Thanks all!

Just what i needed to know.

7. Re: do we need to tip in Disneyland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 11:17