We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disneyland Dining: Big Thunder Ranch BBQ

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Disneyland Dining: Big Thunder Ranch BBQ

Is Big Thunder Rance BBQ new? Looking for dining options and was planning on trying to make reservations for Blue Bayou where we went about 8 years ago. But, the Big Thunder Ranch BBQ looks like it might be fun. Can anyone share advice and information? Or any information on best Disneyland dining options would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disneyland Dining: Big Thunder Ranch BBQ

It's been open for a few years. I went about a year ago. You sit outdoors and they bring the food family style. For lunch, it included ribs and chicken. beans, coleslaw, cornbread. For dinner I think they add sausage and corn cobs (you could check the allears.net menu). I'm not big into the sausage so we go at lunch. You could ask for a second (or third) helping of anything, and they'll even packup any leftovers. We will often order one meal with tofu/veggie skewers, since it's all the same price they didn't care if we shared the food equally. There is some live entertainment, although if you go too early they don't start right at the beginning.

The food was pretty good although the ribs are more baked and sauced than bbq grilled, they were tender and not fatty though. A pretty good option for a midday break especially if you have big eaters.

Edited: 25 April 2011, 18:37
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,539 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disneyland Dining: Big Thunder Ranch BBQ

pretty new, it came out in 2009

the big thunder ranch bbq seems to be pretty popular, but is also on the expensive side.

the blue bayou is nice, but is quite expensive, but it just depends on what you like, alot of people want to go there even if its just once, since they go by it on the pirates of the carribean ride.

the big thunder ranch bbq seems to be pretty popular

if you let us know a little more info about what kind of dining you are looking for that would be helpful, such as if you want nicer table service restaurants or, inexpensive eating, what kind of food do you like, and what is your budget for meals,

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disneyland Dining: Big Thunder Ranch BBQ

Thanks for the replies. Well, I was at first interested in making reservations at the Blue Bayou, but we were there on our last visit about 8 years ago, and didn't think there was anything new. I just noticed today the Big Thunder Ranch BBQ and it looked like it could be different and fun, especially with entertainment. Does BTRBBQ accept reservations? Are there specific show times or is it continous? This seems to be an outdoor venue, is rain a concern, we'll be there mid-July?

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
17,821 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disneyland Dining: Big Thunder Ranch BBQ

I have been by there, but not had a meal there as of yet. I've been walking by and stopped on the path to take a look at the entertainment, which was a fiddler that day, and saw the characters taking photos with people (Chip and Dale in western outfits that day and the girl from Toy Story). It is along a wide pathway that is not heavily traveled and secluded enough to make it seem restful as well as fun. There is a petting zoo next to it that is often open during the day. I went inside for a little while and am very impressed with the care of the animals. I tend to prefer dining outdoors and think this is a great spot, especially for children and families. Big Thunder Trail itself is nice and has interesting little surprises that you would not know are there if you constantly choose to exit and enter the "lands" via the Hub (central plaza in Disneyland).

Rain is never a concern in July. Sun and heat is. Not sure if there is a lot of shade.

Edited: 25 April 2011, 19:35
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,539 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disneyland Dining: Big Thunder Ranch BBQ

reservations are accepted for the big thunder ranch bbq,

here is the info on it from the disneyland website, be sure to look through the picture slideshow.

…go.com/disneyland/big-thunder-ranch-bbq/

Edited: 25 April 2011, 19:43
Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
318 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disneyland Dining: Big Thunder Ranch BBQ

It's been there for awhile. It used to be the Big Thunder BBQ in the mid 1980s and changed to Big Thunder Ranch in 1996.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,539 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disneyland Dining: Big Thunder Ranch BBQ

i think the op was talking about the new version, as the old big thunder bbq has not been there for a while they closed in 2001.

i miss the old one, :( it had the best bbq and was more rustic, and you felt like you were really having a bbq outdoors, with a nice fire in the firepit which was much more fun imo.

Edited: 25 April 2011, 22:01
california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disneyland Dining: Big Thunder Ranch BBQ

There are shade structures (canvas I think) over the tables, it's comfortable. The entertainment is continuous with a few breaks but did not start immediately with the first seating. As far as expense it is no where near as as expensive as Blue Bayou. I think it's about $20 for lunch (you can check pricing at allears.net) . Most of the fast serve places charge about $5 less for a main course but it isn't all you can eat.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,539 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disneyland Dining: Big Thunder Ranch BBQ

the lunch menu is less than the $24.99 for adults for dinner at the bbq,

for lunch its $19.99 for adults and $9.99 for children, but that price does not include dessert which is $5.99 a person and does not include a drink which is an extra $2.99

Edited: 26 April 2011, 07:25
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
628 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disneyland Dining: Big Thunder Ranch BBQ

We were there in September and really enjoyed it. The kids got up on stage and danced with the band.

We sat at wooden bench tables and they kept bringing the food until we asked them to stop LOL There is no way we could have eaten dessert.

I think the kids were given a free drink each and we had no trouble getting iced water. I would go again.