We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Las Vegas - Any suggestions?

melbourne
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to Las Vegas - Any suggestions?

Will be driving from Anaheim to Las Vegas on Sat 3rd Sept. As this is a long weekend will there be a lot of traffic going to Vegas? We intend to leave about 10 am, will it be too late or should we leave earlier?

Also any recommendations on where to stop? I have read reviews of Peggy Sue's Diner but they are mixed, any other suggestions?

We are flying back to LA but want to drive there.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Las Vegas - Any suggestions?

Check out Mad Greek in Baker or lots of people stop at In N Out in Barstow.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Las Vegas - Any suggestions?

A fun place to stop is the Alien Jerky store.

They sell all kinds of jerkey, hot sauce, t shirts, and a whole lot more. Look for the aliens sitting in the car out the front door.

Dr. Z

p.s. it's on the main street in Baker also.

Edited: 06 August 2011, 14:54
Midwest
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Las Vegas - Any suggestions?

The big crunch that weekend will be the way back on Monday, so you planned that well. However, Sat out will be still be busy and very hot. If it were me, Id leave at 4am. It will be sunrise and relatively cooler as you make your way to Vegas to see the desert landscape and you can get lucky and they might have your room waiting.(I really dont see that many people checking out that morn)

I think Barstow is the best place to stop, a Baker stop is basically in and out for food or drinks as there really isnt much till State line

cambs
Level Contributor
532 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Las Vegas - Any suggestions?

its an easy drive and (by UK standards) the US interstates are mostly empty so I reckon you will be unlucky to be slowed by traffic

Vegas is terrific

you wont have time to see half the great stuff

what im saying is grab a coffee and a donut on the move

dont wasts valuable vegas time with a stop en route

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Las Vegas - Any suggestions?

beeble,

You are correct that I-15 is often uncongested, but weekends out then back can be tough especially for a 3 day wknd. For sure on the way back Monday will be a nightmare. On the way out is different becuase many will leave Friday morning, others Friday night and the balance Saturday. I will guess someone leaving Saturday AM to Vegas at 10AM will hit a backup somewhere between State Line and Vegas. Maneuvering the Strip to your hotel at 3pm on a 3 day wknd Saturday would be incentive enough for me to leave early(but thats me- I understand that the OP might want to take it slower that day and leave on their schedule)

btw: Im like you, I like to go straight there no stops. Too bad the people I go with dont share that idea

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,726 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to Las Vegas - Any suggestions?

really no worries about saturday imo, most people will be comming in from that area on friday not saturday. since its only about 41/2 hours to las vegas, most will just come in after work on friday.

if you need to make a stop i would just stop in barstow, its about half way.

California
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving to Las Vegas - Any suggestions?

As stated, most of the people head out to Vegas on Fri. You shouldn't have any problems at all as far as traffic. Barstow has tons of places to eat, mostly fast food. Try the legendary Tommy's!

8. Re: Driving to Las Vegas - Any suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 19:17