We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anaheim to LA on Tuesday afternoon

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Anaheim to LA on Tuesday afternoon

Hi all, we are currently in Anaheim having an absolutely fabulous end to our 18 day holiday. (not all inanaheim though)!

And may thanks to all of you experts out there who contribute such amazingly knowledgeable information, because you've made it so much easier for us to have such a great time.

So, one last thing! We need to get the car back to the airport by 6pm on Tuesday night.

We want to squeeze every last drop out of this holiday, but not at the expense of unecessary adrenal stress overload!! We'd planned on heading of by 4. Are we allowing enough time for any unforeseen circumstances? Or if it was you, would you leave earlier? It took 55 minutes to get here on Tuesday afternoon from West Hollywood. So thats what we based our 2 hours on.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks,

Ness

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anaheim to LA on Tuesday afternoon

2 hrs would normally be enough for the rush hour, but if you are risking an Intl flight keep an eye on Sigalert dot com. From Anaheim, I can think of half a dozen detours if something happens on one route, but will you be comfortable with looking at a website and picking an alt route if the 405 is all red? Its my experience that freeways become more congested in the Fall, so it might not be as you have experienced so far but 2 hrs 'should;' work

Another alternative is have an late lunch/early dinner planned around Manhattan Beach

Edited: 24 September 2011, 16:35
Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anaheim to LA on Tuesday afternoon

Afternoon traffic starts building as early as 2:30-3:00 - and as Missika says, 1 traffic accident could ruin your plans. www.sigalert.com is helpful, but if an accident happens and you haven't left the region below the accident yet, that's not going to help you avoid the accident.

Depending on what you are rushing to LA for (flight or just returning the car or both), I would be in the LA region at least 3 hours before a flight, especially if returning a car is on the agenda. That exercise alone could really bog you down if the rental car agencies are really busy, which they always seem to be when I get there.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anaheim to LA on Tuesday afternoon

Thank you. I should have mentioned flights not till 10 and yes it's international. Willl rethink it a bit - appreciate the feedback. Maybe go to Cutadel first and leave there by 4?? Any thoughts?? Thank you.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anaheim to LA on Tuesday afternoon

With a 10pm flight out, I feel leaving @4 either the stores(maybe even 5) or Anaheim is fine because the car drop off and shuttle to the airport will be between 10 and 30 min, so you really have another 30 min to work with

Edited: 26 September 2011, 17:42
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,378 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anaheim to LA on Tuesday afternoon

The Citadel at 4 pm? You'd be traversing the entire L.A. metro area starting at a point to the east of Los Angeles (the Citadel) and ending at a point in the southwest corner of L.A. (LAX). Yes, you could make it but you'd be sitting in traffic for hours! If it were me, I'd get over to the 'airport area' and do your last minute shopping there or hang out at the beach. Who needs the stress?

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anaheim to LA on Tuesday afternoon

You have plenty of time before your flight so the question is what is the penalty for returning the car late? If it is not a huge sum I would take my chances and not leave Anaheim until 4. Two hours should be fine but knoing the fee for being late would be helpful. If you have time you can have dinner at Encounter at LAX.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anaheim to LA on Tuesday afternoon

Thanks again for your feedback.

HopSkipJump i didn't realise Citadel was so out of the way, and yes we're rethinking the whole shopping thing altogether.

It all seemed like a good idea at the time!! The shopping here is so much more fabulous here in the US than at home, and my husband keeps telling me that I must stop trying to single handedly improve the state of the economy here! But can't blame a girl for trying!!

Thanks also for the Encounter suggestion, will take a look. And quite possibly the late return fee could be quite a sting. We're with Dollar, whom we haven't had a great experience with so far! But will save that for the trip report.

Thanks all again for the advice! Taking it all in.

8. Re: Anaheim to LA on Tuesday afternoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 00:18