We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disneyland requires children's names to book a hotel?!

Arizona
Level Contributor
113 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Disneyland requires children's names to book a hotel?!

I just called the main Disneyland resort number to book a hotel room, and they insisted on my children's names in order to book a room. I spoke with a supervisor who insisted that this was their policy, and that it was for the safety of the children. I have never heard of a hotel requiring the names of minor children staying in the room, just "2 adults, 2 children". Is this a new policy on the part of Disney? Is it even legal? I certainly won't be booking a hotel room through the Disneyland resort.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disneyland requires children's names to book a hotel?!

Yes, it is done for a few reasons, safety, security, and also verification of how many guests are in a room.

And trust me, with the amount of Lawyers that work for Disney, if it wasn't legal, they wouldn't do it.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disneyland requires children's names to book a hotel?!

Wow, I have not heard of that. I'm glad they are watching out for children though. Sadly, a lot of abusers take kids to places like Disneyland.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disneyland requires children's names to book a hotel?!

My guess is that there has been litigation or costs associated in the past and they are just covering their bases for the future. Heck, I can remember when it was OK to carry unloaded hunting rifles on board of some commuter jets in Alaska. Try that today.

Arizona
Level Contributor
113 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disneyland requires children's names to book a hotel?!

The impression I got on the phone was that it was for marketing purposes, not safety, since they also wanted their birthdays so they could send them special offers on their birthdays. I don't have a problem with them ASKING, but I do have a problem with them REQUIRING. I really don't understand how having hotel employees know my kids' names enhances their safety. It just makes them targets. I bring their passports when we travel overseas, and would be happy to show them at the desk, but I don't want their names, ages and birthdays in the Disney database!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disneyland requires children's names to book a hotel?!

Well, then exercise your rights and stay off-property. Lots of great choices, and most non-Disney offer things that the Disney Hotels don't, for "reserving" rooms instead of just placing a request, 24 hour room service, free meals, etc. and usually at a lesser price.

Many different styles and options of where to stay.

But Disney is a Private business, and they are allowed to ask for information. The best way to stay no is to just not stay with them.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,924 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disneyland requires children's names to book a hotel?!

Do you have to be truthful? If you really want to stay there, rename your children Mickey & Minnie and give them December 25th birthdays or something odd. I have no problem giving erroneous information when it isn't relevant but it's required.

Then send an e-mail to the General Manager of the hotel expressing your opinions.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,316 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disneyland requires children's names to book a hotel?!

I think it is a great thing for them to do. If they require their birthdate with the year, I would fib on that.. Just birthdate is fine. As far as the hotel employees calling them by name, I would not worry about that at all. Perhaps at check in they might, I don't know. But don't we all like being greeted and welcomed by name? It's not like they require name tags to be worn on the premises. I'm sure their employees don't have the time or chance to look up names of kids on the computer system and follow them. That seems more possible in a small motel with a limited amount of guests, if the employees are not monitored or have access to computers. I'm sure Disney hotel employees must be watched carefully and have a lot to do. Truthfully, I think just calling your child by name in a hotel or in public can put them at risk of being bothered by a stranger. There have been times I've heard a parent call their child's name over and over trying to get their attention.

As for marketing, you are going to get that from the Disney Compant just because you are staying at their hotel. If you stayed at a Sheraton you might as well. I get things because of a promotional ticket I used

Edited: 06 January 2012, 19:31
SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
645 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disneyland requires children's names to book a hotel?!

Were theme park tickets included in your package? If so, everyone's individual name is listed on his/her individual entry card ....

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,017 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disneyland requires children's names to book a hotel?!

I have seen this being done by the Four Seasons and by Ritz and when we got to our rooms there were age appropriate 'gifts' for them as well as their names in sponge letters in the bathroom. They did not ask for their birth date. It is not a requirement and we could have given false names and our boys would have wondered who "John" and "Jack" were.

I think Disney is doing it for marketing purposes and not for security. I don't buy that part one bit

Tustin, California
Level Contributor
231 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disneyland requires children's names to book a hotel?!

i was going to post a reply similar to "belomiser's." The Four Seasons personalizes kid's amenities that get delivered upon arrival. For example, over the years, my kids have received cookies w/ their names written in chocolate syrup on the edge of the plate, or a lil gift tote w/ their name on a tag.

<<<It is not a requirement and we could have given false names and our boys would have wondered who "John" and "Jack" were.>> Hilarious belomiser!