We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rides at DL and WDW - identical or similar?

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
740 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Rides at DL and WDW - identical or similar?

Hi! We had a great trip to WDW a couple of months ago, and we've just decided to go to DL later this year! I've just started my planning, and I see that many of the rides at DL/DCA have the same names as WDW rides. I'm wondering which of those rides are the same at the two parks and which are different. Can anyone who's been to both places comment?

Peter Pans' Flight

Dumbo

Mad Tea Party

Buzz Lightyear

It's a Small World

Space Mountain

Star Tours

Captain EO

Astro Orbiter

Splash Mountain

Winnie the Pooh

Enchanted Tiki Room

Jungle Cruise

Tom Sawyer Island

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

Pirates of the Caribbean

Haunted Mansion

Fantasmic

Toy Story Midway Mania

It's Tough to be a Bug

Soarin'

Muppet Vision 3D

Turtle Talk with Crush

Twilight Zone Tower of Terror

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rides at DL and WDW - identical or similar?

Peter Pan's Flight is different, different vehicles and some different scenes

Dumbo is the same

Mad Tea Party is the same ride

Buzz Lightyear is different to point

"it's a small world" is somewhat different, and is the original from the New York's World Fair

Space Mountain is very different

Star Tours II has a different queue, but the same set of movies and simulator, but then there are about 50 versions of the ride, so unless you ahve seen all the different parts (Basically 3 segments that have multiple different choices)

Captain EO is the same

Astro Orbitor is the same

Splash Mountain has some differences, including the logs, as in Disneyland it front to back seating, and not side by side

Winnie the Pooh is different

Enchanted Tiki Room is different, the DL version is the classic, WDW had a really bad modern version

Jungle Cruise has some differences

Tom Sawyer Island is very different

Big Thunder Mountain is different

Pirates of the Carribean in Disneyland is longer and has more drops, different

Haunted Mansion is different enough, for example, the stretching room in Florida, the celing moves up, in DL, you are on an elevator, and you go down. Also the queue area is different

Fantasmic! is different for many reasons, and most folks say the DL version is much better

Toy Story Mania! is the same basic ride

It's Tough to be a Bug - Same

Soarin' - Same, different queue

Muppet Vision 3-D - Same

Turtle Talk with Crush - Same, though the rest of the Animation Building is different, so check out the building, but you can pass on the Crush area

Tower of Terror is different in many ways, in Disneyland it is just one shaft, unlike Florida, where you switch at one point.

Enjoy your trip

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,220 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rides at DL and WDW - identical or similar?

You may want to add on that list for rides the Indianna Jones Adventure which is not a ride at Disneyworld, but is a ride at Disneyland (and a very popular one)

Here is a list of rides and attractions that are only at Disneyland

Alice in Wonderland

Casey Jr. Circus Train

Critter Country

Davy Crocket Explorer Canoes

Gadget's Go Coaster

Grand Canyon Diorama

Indiana Jones Adventure(which is a ride at Disneyland,and not a show)

Matterhorn Bobsleds

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

New Orleans Square

Pinocchio's Daring Journey

Primeval World

Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

Sailing Ship Columbia

Sleeping Beauty Walkthrough

Storybook Land Canal Boats

Tarzan's Treehouse

World of Color Show

Disneyland is different from Disneyworld in a few way, Disneyland is much more compact and easy to see rather than Disneyworld.

and IMO there is a special feel to Disneyland since its the original,

The two Parks are much easier to get around in and are located right across from each other so an easy walk back and forth,

At Disneyland you can also stay directly across from the Disneyland Main Entrance making very nice to just walk back and rest ect in just a few minutes

Here is a Map of Hotels in the Disneyland area, the Disneyland Main Entrance is off of Harbor Blvd near where it says " East Shuttle Area" on the Map.

printfreemaps.com/maps/freedisneylandareamap…

Edited: 21 January 2012, 20:37
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,279 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rides at DL and WDW - identical or similar?

I've seen video of Mad Tea Cups at the Magic Kingdom and it looks different to me simply because it seems to have a top covering it. At Disneyland it is open with the colored Japanese Laterns overhead, that light up at night. The last time I was there I saw three teenage girls riding during the fireworks show and having a great time watching the show while spinning. I love the fact that is in a pretty compact area. If you are on Alice you can see the Tea Cups and Matterhorn as the vehilce comes out a bit. Very pictureque area to stand during the parade as it travels right by.

Edited: 21 January 2012, 22:35
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,279 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rides at DL and WDW - identical or similar?

The final drop on Splash Mountian brings the log towards the Rivers of America. The flume cuts into the bank of the river a bit and makes a turn. There is place right above where you can stand and watch the logs splash down while enjoying a view of the river. You can also see them from the big boats and, up closer, while paddling by in a Davey Crocket Explorer Canoe.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
740 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rides at DL and WDW - identical or similar?

Thanks for the information! I've cut and pasted it into my planning notes. :-) I'm not trying to avoid rides that are the same as Disney World - they are some of my favorites. I confess to being a Small World lover, but I wasn't very fond of the Tiki Room. Since it's different at DL, I'll give it a chance.

BTW, you're right - the Teacups at WDW are under a roof but open at the sides.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
740 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rides at DL and WDW - identical or similar?

I wonder - is the mania over Toy Story Midway Mania the same at DL as it is at WDW? It is typically the longest line in all of WDW, and the FP's run out really early in the day.

great britain
Level Contributor
446 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rides at DL and WDW - identical or similar?

The whole place is a completely difference experience. DL doesnt provide the same magic for me im afraid....glad i have been there and seen it but WDW wins hands down for me. Having said that i am sure you will have a great time.

DCA is a fun place. Enjoy, but be prepared for lots and lots of people in a small space!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,857 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rides at DL and WDW - identical or similar?

I wouldn't say Small World is a little different at Disneyland, I'd say it is massively different. Not so much inside as the outside. I was so disappointed in IASM at WDW.

You also might check out the DisBoards. Tons of Disneyland specific advice and lots of topics comparing the two.

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rides at DL and WDW - identical or similar?

Midway Mania usually has one of the longest lines in California Adventure. Plan carefully as there are no Fast Passes for the attraction at the Disneyland Resort.

Edited: 22 January 2012, 00:15
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
740 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rides at DL and WDW - identical or similar?

Thanks, I assumed there would be FP's! We'll make that our first stop one of our park days.