We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comparing Tourist attendance - Orange County to LA and SD

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Comparing Tourist attendance - Orange County to LA and SD

Came across this information today from a couple of different sources, and since it has been asked in the past why I say that the Anaheim is the most popular Southern California destination, here is some proof.

First is the Orange County number, 42.9 million visitors in 2011

…anaheimoc.org/press/press-releases/anaheimo…

San Diego County got 31 million in 2011

www.10news.com/news/30060031/detail.html

Los Angeles County got 26.9 million in 2011.

contracostatimes.com/california/ci_19822143

latimes.com/business/…3019340.story

San Diego...
Level Contributor
331 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Comparing Tourist attendance - Orange County to LA and SD

Great Data and references.

Preliminary estimates for 2011 indicate there were 16.3 million visitors to Anaheim and they spent just under $4.45 billion dollars representing about 2.5 percent more visitors and 6 percent more spending than last year. Source: anaheimoc.org

L.A. breaks tourism record with 27 million visitors in 2011. Source; LA TImes

So my math says 27 Million is more than 16.3 and therefore LA has more visitors than Anaheim . Ne'st Pas ?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Comparing Tourist attendance - Orange County to LA and SD

Here is what the Anaheim/OC Bureau Press Release says, first paragraph...

>>The Anaheim/Orange County Visitor & Convention Bureau, along with CIC Research, reported preliminary year-end visitor figures indicating that Orange County attracted 42.9 million visitors in 2011.<<

And that is the Orange County number, just as the 26.9 million is for all of Los Angeles County.

So the City of Anaheim got 16.3 million, or about a third of all of all of Orange County. Is there a specfic city that can top that in LA County, I can think of many large Tourist attractions not in the city of LA, Universal Studios, Six Flags California, Santa Monica ,Long Beach, San Pedro, etc.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,538 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Comparing Tourist attendance - Orange County to LA and SD

Maybe they double counted the visitors to the Anaheim Angels of Los Angeles (or is it the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim? Or maybe the Angeles of Los Angeles Anaheim?).

4. Re: Comparing Tourist attendance - Orange County to LA and SD

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 January 2012, 02:35
Edited: 27 January 2012, 02:35
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Comparing Tourist attendance - Orange County to LA and SD

I am not paid by any tourist related company and/or tourist bureau, nor by Disneyland.

I have received some money related to Theme/Amusement parks, but never from the Walt Disney Company, directly or indirectly.

If I was, I would so disclose as required by the TA regulations.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Comparing Tourist attendance - Orange County to LA and SD

And come on, I suggest places to stay in San Diego, Orange County, the Hollywood area, and elsewhere in Los Angeles County, based on what the OP has posted and asked for all the time. Just check my post history.

I am a native Southern California (to be specific, the Ocean Beach area of San Diego), and have lived and/worked in the entire Southern California region, and know it quite well.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
331 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Comparing Tourist attendance - Orange County to LA and SD

The OP admonished members of the TA community based in San Fran that this is not a chat site but a travel related forum and I appreciate that and I would suggest we practice what we preach and not chat about what has been said and by whom.

All I can say based on the data provided by the sources kindly provided by the OP there is data to show that OC has more visitors than LA country but no data to prove the following.

>>>since it has been asked in the past why I say that the Anaheim is the >>>most popular Southern California destination, here is some proof.

Now, on a personal note I think Disneyland is a very very popular attraction and given all the worries in our region, our country and our world, it is a great place to have fun, and get away from the rigors of daily life (except long lines). It also employs a lot of people and helps the neighboring towns and communities thrive. There is no doubt about that.

So the more the merrier. and anything that anyone including the OP can do to promote staying, living, eating and visiting Anaheim and other places, the more power to all of you.

Edited: 26 January 2012, 21:37
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Comparing Tourist attendance - Orange County to LA and SD

Looking for some more numbers, here is one list with numbers, alas, can't find the reference.

exploredia.com/top-10-tourist-destinations-2…

Only 2 out of the top 10 in the world locations.

#5 is Disneyland Park in Anaheim

#7 is Fisherman Wharf in San Francisco

And here is a Forbes list from 2009, top 10 tourist attractions in the US (Posting only California options)

forbes.com/2010/05/20/top-tourist-attraction…

6. Golden Gate Park, San Francisco

7. Disneyland Park, Anaheim

8. Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco (tie)

8. Hollywood Walk of Fame, Los Angeles (tie)

And one more Forbes list, top visited cities in the US, once again, just listing the California numbers and info....

forbes.com/2010/04/28/tourism-new-york-lifes…

>>To compile our list of America's most-visited cities, we used 2009 statistics in the country's top 20 markets, as defined by Smith Travel Research. A market is defined as a geographic area composed of a Metropolitan Statistical Area, a group of Metropolitan Statistical Areas or a group of counties.<<

(More details on how the ratings were created at the link...)

>>San Diego and Anaheim/Orange County top California's entries, but two other cities--Los Angeles and San Francisco--just missed making the list, which shows just how popular a destination the state is as a whole. The state's top draw, Anaheim/Orange County, reeled in 42.7 million visitors, many of whom were presumably theme-park attendees.<<

4. Anaheim, CA

10. San Diego, CA

So there is some more info and stats that help show that Anaheim is the most popular destiniation in Southern California.

Edited: 26 January 2012, 21:51
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,767 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Comparing Tourist attendance - Orange County to LA and SD

It is not surprising that Anaheim gets a lot of visitors. Disneyland is there!

Disneyland /California Adventure are the reasons that folks go there.

I doubt if they go there to see the city of Anaheim.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Comparing Tourist attendance - Orange County to LA and SD

Let's see, other than Disneyland, there is the largest Convention Center on the West Coast.

www.anaheimconventioncenter.com/section.cfm…

Two major Sports/Entertainment Venues in the Honda Center and Angels Stadium. For example, Angels Stadium hosts the most major Motor Sports events on the West Coast a year, The Honda Center hosted the first ever major Network broadcast of UFC, add to that Major league Baseball and Hockey, plus major College Sports events including College Basketball tournaments and NCAA March Madness events. Multiple half-Marathons a year (including this weekend).

So the Hotel/Motel rooms in the area get a lot of use, and not just from those visitng Disneyland and the other nearby Theme Parks and similar venues.

Edited: 27 January 2012, 00:16