We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best accommodoation for a family of 5 in Amaheim

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
best accommodoation for a family of 5 in Amaheim

Hi there we are travelling to the US in July 2012 and looking for accommodation close to Disneyland that will accommodate 2 adults and 3 children without costing to much. we will be staying 4 nights. Any ideas good pools close to everything. Thanks

Edited: 02 March 2012, 02:11
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best accommodoation for a family of 5 in Amaheim

Best means a lot of different things to different people... The vast majority of Hotel/Motel Rooms in the City of Anaheim hve a 5 person capacity per the Fire Marshall rules. (as compared to Los Angels County, where the normal limit is 4).

So what type of place do you want to stay at?

The Alpine Inn is a basic older 2 story Motel that comes with a free breakfast, Well rated here at TA, and one of the lowest price points.

The Park Vuw Inn is basically the closest Accomidations to the Disneylan Main Entrance Plaza, even closer than the Disney owned Hotels. Another Motel, but has been recently renovated, and comes with a nice Breakfast with cooked items, and even light suppers, currently #2 in over 100 Hotels in the TA rankings for the city of Anaheim.

The Howard Johnson Plaza Inn is a Limited Service Hotel with two nice water play areas, also highly rated... Here is a link to a discount code

www.hojoanaheim.com/mousesavers

If you want more of an Apartment style Hotel, the Residence Inn Maingate is the closest, and is highly rated. All the rooms have a Kitchen with dishes, pot, pans, etc. as part of the package. Also a nice free Cooked Breakfast.

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g29092-Anaheim_Califo…

So that is a start, and there are many more options... If you let us know what is important to you we can try and give some similar options to the ones listed above so you can compare prices and availability.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best accommodoation for a family of 5 in Amaheim

Thanks so much for your reply. We have a 17, 16, and 9 year old. From what I can tell there only seems to be 2 x queen beds in one room. Does this mean that 2 boys have to sleep in a queen and the 3rd a rollerway? I guess when I mean Best it would be the roomiest and best $ value. My youngest child has special needs and we will need to do Disneyland in short bursts as he tires easily and needs some down time away from the hustle and bustle. Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks again

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best accommodoation for a family of 5 in Amaheim

I would look at some of the larger rooms/suites at the Residence Inn Maingate, a bit of a walk, but also on part of the ART Shuttle system.

marriott.com/hotels/…

www.rideart.org

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,225 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best accommodoation for a family of 5 in Amaheim

Can you give us a little more info such as a budget per night for a Hotel? its harder to give recommendations without knowing what that is.

There are quite a few places that have larger family suites.

For July you may want to avoid being at Disneyland around July 4th as that is a big holiday, and it will likely be busy for that weekend after as well.

Most of the places in very close walking distance would be standard small Motels which would also have small pools, but are very convenient since you can just walk across the street to Disneyland, and alot have larger family suites.

Here is a Map of Hotels in the Disneyland area so you can see where things are, the Disneyland Main Entrance is off of Harbor Blvd near where it says "East Shuttle Area" on the Map.

printfreemaps.com/maps/freedisneylandareamap…

There is also the Art Shuttle service if you are staying farther away that goes from Disneyland to alot of area Hotels multiple times per day for a small fee per person.

http://www.rideart.org/

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best accommodoation for a family of 5 in Amaheim

Budget is between $200 - $250 per night. My SIL said to stay actually at Disneyland as she was able to enter the park 2 hours before opening to the public and that reduced having to wait in the queues. My 9 year old has special needs and if that is so it would really help us out. I would like to have a kitchenette as my son has dietry issues also.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best accommodoation for a family of 5 in Amaheim

OK, your SIL is talking about Magic Mornings, which is offered 4 days a week (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday) and it is 1 hour earlier in two areas of Disneyland (Fantasyland and Tomorrowland). Guests of the Three Disney Hotels get in with their room key, but the main part of the program is through the sell of multi-day ParkHoppers. Most 3 day or longer ParkHopper tickets come with 1 Magic Morning.

So no real need to stay on property. Also note, Disney does not offer shuttle service. So staying at the Residence Inn Maingate gives you a much larger and nicer room with the free breakfast for less money.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,225 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best accommodoation for a family of 5 in Amaheim

The DIsney owned Hotels are not the closest accomodations to Disneyland,

With the exception of The Grand Californian Hotel, it is the closest of the Disney owned Hotels as its located next to California Adventure Park, but you still may have somewhat of a walk, about 5 min or so to the Turnstiles that go into Disneyland Park depending on where you stay at the Hotel, since its so spread out, but that would also likely be out of your budget.

The Disneyland Hotel is a 7 min walk, and may be in your budget, but unlikely a suite would be.

The Paradise Pier is the farthest away at about an 15 min walk and neither of these would have any shuttle service available at the Hotel.

For contrast, the closest Standard Motels to the Disneyland Main Entrance would be the Best Western Park Place inn, its also a 5 min walk total across the street to the Turnstiles that go into Disneyland.

The Park Vue, about a 6 min walk, both of these would have a small microwave and Fridge in the rooms.

So if you are most interested in being as close as possible, those would be the closest well rated places near the Disneyland Main Entrance.

$200- $250 would get you any of the larger Family type suites at the Standard Motels across from Disneyland

Such as the two i have mentioned allready, and the Camelot inn which has a very large 2 room family suite, and the Anaheim Desert Inn.

There is also the Fairfield inn which is a Hotel but has exterior corridors for some of the rooms and is about an 8 min walk

And Howard Johnsons which is a Hotel and about an 11 min walk with the Art Shuttle service available.

The Residence Inn Maingate mentioned is about a 15 min walk with the Art Shuttle service and is across the street from the Anaheim Gardenwalk with lots of good restaurants.

You should also be aware Australian and New Zealand residents can purchase a special 14 day Disneyland Pass which is about the same cost as a regular 5 day Parkhopper and is available from a travel agent in those areas such as Flight Centre.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,885 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best accommodoation for a family of 5 in Amaheim

I didn't read all the other replies so forgive duplicate advice.

The "best" accommodoation for a family of 5 in Anaheim would be the Villas at the Grand Californian, but they aren't cheap.

The best combination of value and nice I think is the Residence Inn Maingate. When pricing, bear in mind it includes a hot breakfast in the morning.

MouseSavers is a great, useful site, so are AllEars.net and the DIS Boards.

http://www.mousesavers.com/disneyland.html

http://allears.net/dlr/dlresort.htm

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
146 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best accommodoation for a family of 5 in Amaheim

I am still sticking to my tried and true Homewood Inn and Suites. Not within walking distance but there is a shuttle and they feed you!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
628 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best accommodoation for a family of 5 in Amaheim

We are a family of 5 and found the kids suite at Hojos worked for us very well

http://www.hojoanaheim.com/what-you-get/rooms

Edited: 06 March 2012, 21:00