We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DGC VS. DH premium rooms

Palm Springs Area
Level Contributor
588 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
DGC VS. DH premium rooms

Having stayed at the Disney hotel last year, (upper floor standard room) we'd like to kick it up a notch for the next trip as we will be staying longer. I'm looking at booking GC premium or Disney Hotel Concierge premium room. What (besides the concierge itself) is the main difference in these rooms? They are both premium. There's such a huge jump in rates between the two hotels; we just want to get the most value without breaking the bank. Any advice is greatly appreciated! : )

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DGC VS. DH premium rooms

You will NOT get any value at the Grand Californian. None at all. Actually won't get any value at either hotel. You must just decide for yourself which hotel you want. Look at the websites, read the TA reviews. Read Yahoo reviews and then decide. Good Luck. Chuck...

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,316 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DGC VS. DH premium rooms

Are you talking about the Disneyland Hotel? There are three Disney owned hotels in Disneyland Resort that are commonly known as Disney Hotels. I assume you are not writing about the Paradise Pier Hotel.

Disneyland Hotel is commonly abbreviated as DLH, but we can assume DH is Disneyland Hotel.

I think it is up to you if you would like to stay at the DGC, but the rooms are usually thought of as small.

Edited: 10 April 2012, 15:09
laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DGC VS. DH premium rooms

really the only difference with Concierge is the free food, it is nice in the morning but getting back in the evening for a free glass of wine is kinda of a pain. Grand Californian is a much better hotel in my opinion.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,316 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DGC VS. DH premium rooms

Just noticed the "most value without breaking the bank". Look into the Howard Johnson Anaheim Plaza ~ a deluxe Disneyland view room. Some rooms have a view of the Matterhorn and the Monorail track is across the street! Then you will have more money for things such as reserved seating at Fantasmic, character breakfasts, picnic lunches for the World of Color show, perhaps Big Thunder Ranch BBQ (if offered) in Disneyland Park, maybe even dinner at Napa Rose. Add even one or two things onto a DGC stay and you break the bank. Hey, but if you can afford it (without going into debt), go for it.

Edited: 10 April 2012, 15:22
Palm Springs Area
Level Contributor
588 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DGC VS. DH premium rooms

Being a CA native and visiting Disney since I was in a stroller - you'd think I would know more about the hotels, right?! haha I guess my question is - what are the differences between a premium DGC and premium DLH room? I see no difference in the actual rooms themselves online - maybe i'm missing something? I've not stayed at DGC before, and have read the premium view rooms are great for watching World of Color, so that's the main draw for us there.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,978 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DGC VS. DH premium rooms

I haven't stayed at the DLH since the renovation so I am not sure what the concierge level lounge is like, but the concierge lounge at the GC is great, I always get the concierge level when I stay there.

The GC is great hotel over all. I wish they had done a better job on the rooms and bathrooms, but I get that they were operating on a tight footprint. The GC has the atmosphere and these I expect in a Disney hotel. Because Disney didn't build the Disneyland Hotel or Paradise Pier, they feel more like standard hotels than Disney resorts.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,316 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DGC VS. DH premium rooms

The Trip Advisor reviews have photos taken by travelers. I haven't looked at the reviews for these hotels lately, but travelers usually add photos of the rooms (although you may need to run through some inevitable photos of the families in the parks, which are not really what the photo section is for but it happens). Professional photos are staged to make rooms looke as big and good as possible so the travelers' photos may be a better representation. The rooms in DGC have furnishings that are in the simplistic craftsman or arts and crafts style, which fits the theme of the hotel but some think are to plan and dull by today's standard of furnishings. According to some, the rooms are cramped for a family. I have not been in one. Peeked in one time while they were being cleaned and did think it was kind of plain, but would have been big enough for a couple. I have read that instead of a fold out couch or fold away bed the hotel gives sleeping bags and and extra pillow for an extra guest in the room. I also read something about bunk beds being used, perhaps in a suite? With regards to a view of WOC (or anything else) the Disney Company doesn't guarantee a room with a view prior the check in, in any of their hotels whereas some other hotels surrounding Disneyland Resort will. If you haven't already, read the reviews here for the Disneyland Resort hotels. They should be pretty helpful.

Coronado, California
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: DGC VS. DH premium rooms

We love the Grand Californian. It is such a special and unique hotel and it has some of the best dining and bars in the Disney area as well. Napa Rose is one of our go to special occasion restaurants.

The concierge level is especially nice. It is such a nice place to sit and read the morning paper and drink your coffee and never feel rushed.

Palm Springs Area
Level Contributor
588 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DGC VS. DH premium rooms

Thanks so much for your thoughts everyone! We'll definitely do DGC if the price is right, although I haven't ruled out surrounding hotels. I actually found much better rates thru Expedia vs. Disney website - I still have alot of researching to do. @RedlandsRedhead - if we reserve a room with a view, the view isn't guaranteed? I'll have to call the hotel about that, as it is a concern. The view is a must this trip. : )

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,978 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: DGC VS. DH premium rooms

No, you can reserve different level of views just like any other hotel.