We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enforcing Fast Passes - or not?

Iowa
Level Contributor
180 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Enforcing Fast Passes - or not?

I read on another board that they are not enforcing the times on the FP yet. On this board, it says that they are. What is the scoop?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,682 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Enforcing Fast Passes - or not?

I have heard both yes they will be enforcing them, and no they are not right now. However, i dont believe anyone has posted here that has actually been to Disneyland and seen the enforcement of their new policy on Fastpasses yet.

Edited: 03 May 2012, 15:28
Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Enforcing Fast Passes - or not?

I was there just this past week and redeemed 5 passes past the time window and wasn't questioned once. All were different days and or rides.

California
Level Contributor
513 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Enforcing Fast Passes - or not?

We were there April 22-25 and had no problem using Fastpasses past the return time.

Iowa
Level Contributor
180 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Enforcing Fast Passes - or not?

Thanks for th info.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,624 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Enforcing Fast Passes - or not?

I hope it stays that way through the summer, but I may be hoping against hope!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Enforcing Fast Passes - or not?

what? wait a minute.... can somebody clarify for me. We haven't been to DL since last June... At that time, we could use the fast passes past the return time , but not the next day.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Enforcing Fast Passes - or not?

OK, The Walt Disney Company is trying to standardize the policies at the "Disney Parks". The original policy dealing with FastPasses were never to allow the use prior to the time posted, but to be "flexible" on the return time, for guest services issues. Since Disney figured out people might get stuck in a long line to buy a meal, watching a show, etc. The Cast Members over time went for a short "grace" period to not bothering looking at the return time at all, just verifing it was past the start time, and that it was a correct date. It then became an policy in Anaheim, though never officially annonced to the guests, just in the operation manuals for ride operators. I learned of all the tricks, and was the first person to come out with a written document that explained the fine details of the use. Gee, that was about 10 years ago now, unofficial Disney related websites had it listed there, plus places like the Unofficial Guide for Disneyland and RideMAX used it.

Walt Disney World policy was closer to the original policy until recently, when they looked at tthe guest issues, and how many of them had experenced or knew the DIsneyland policy, so became more liberal. Then Test Track opened and had Fastpass, and the management releazied they had to keep the ride open after closing many times due to how many folks returned late with their FastPasses, which made its line longer, and also caused those in the stand-by line to have very long waits. So Management stated, you will enforce the retuirn time, with a SMALL 'grace" period if the guest had a decent explanation, such as getting stuck on another attraction when it broke down.

A decision was made by the senior "Disney Parks" Management they were worried about the return time issue, both at where they are located in Florida, but also in anaheim, especially with the opening of Cars Land in Anaheim (the main ride is basically Test Track ride with a different route and theming. PLUS another issue is the planning of an upcoming feature where Disney Hotel guests will be able to make "FastPass" reservation before they go to the park that day from their Hotel Room. They want to go smoothly.

So the edict came to both parks to return to originally planned policy, Must use it between the time printed (one hour), and only to allow a small grace period if the guests had a reasonable excuse. (One major exception, if the ride was temporarly shut down due to operation issues). If that happened, then to allow the use of those Fastpasses late. (And one of the reasons Disneyland went to a lax policy, they had a lot of breakdowns, and didn't want to keep track of the times the attraction wasn't working, and advising the CM's at the FastPass return for the rest of the day).

It was supposed to be March changeover at Disneyland, but sounds like ride operations won the fight not to changeover during the Spring Break period. But as far as I know, it is coming, and SHORTLY...

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Enforcing Fast Passes - or not?

hmmm well that makes sense...

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
413 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Enforcing Fast Passes - or not?

From the perspective of someone who will be visitng Disneyland as one off special holiday, I understand the advantage of coming back after the allloted time but doesn't this mean the fastpass lines are longer and instead of waiting 5 minutes for your ride it coud be much longer? It seems to defeat the purpose of FastPass??

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Enforcing Fast Passes - or not?

I've seen a few people turned away recently, but mostly it was people trying to use Fastpasses from previous trips (one woman had a ziplock bag full of them).