We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"rented" Disneyland Tickes

San Francisco...
2 posts
Save Topic
"rented" Disneyland Tickes

Hi everyone,

Has anyone tried this? There's a couple of websites and their offices are about a block away from the park. They have hoppers that will save you at least 25% to 35% off the retail price. You pick up the tickets the day of your visit and just drop them off at the drop box at the end of your visit.

I'm considering in doing this. But want to get feedback if these are legit and worth it. Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "rented" Disneyland Tickes

This is discussed regularly on TA. Here's the most recent topic regarding reselling tickets

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29092-i65-k538597…

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "rented" Disneyland Tickes

No they are NOT legit....

http://www.mousesavers.com/dltickets.html

>>Where NOT to Buy Disneyland Tickets

There are lots of legitimate ways to get discounted Disneyland tickets. Unfortunately, there are also some ways to get ripped off.

Never buy partially used passes. For instance, someone may claim they bought a 4-day ticket and ended up using only 2 days of it, so they are reselling the remaining 2 days. Sounds good, right? The trouble is, there is absolutely no way to tell whether the pass does, in fact, have the number of days remaining that the seller claims, until you get to the gate and see if it works. If it doesn't, Disney will not be sympathetic, because Disney tickets are nontransferable. That means they can legally be used only by the original purchaser.

It is a very bad idea to buy Disney passes on eBay or Craigslist. Unfortunately both of these online resources are extremely popular with con artists. Recently scammers have even taken to presenting fake "invoices" or "receipts" that seem to be from legitimate businesses that supposedly sold them the tickets. They always have some sad story about buying nonrefundable tickets, and now they can't go, and they just want to get some of their money back. But the passes they sell you are partially or completely used up, or were never valid to begin with.

Tickets can look perfectly new and real, yet be worthless. For example, they may be selling real Disney ticket stock shoplifted from supermarkets or other stores, but since the tickets were never paid for, they have not been validated and have zero value.

There is no way to find out if the tickets you buy from a stranger (or even "a friend of a friend") are any good in advance of your trip. You are very likely to arrive at the gate and find out you have invalid passes. Here is a news story, another story and yet another story about this type of scam.

Websites that seem to be offering super low prices on Disney tickets are almost guaranteed to be scams. There are legitimate, authorized Disney ticket brokers, but they don't have a lot of profit margin once they pay Disney. There is no way a ticket dealer can offer new, authentic Disney tickets at extremely low prices without losing money. Scam sites may outright rip you off (charge you for tickets you never receive), or even worse, they may just be harvesting your personal information and credit card number so they can sell that information to criminals.

Some signs of a scam ticket site:

Disney does not allow its authorized ticket dealers to use the word Disney in their URLs (domain names or website addresses). If the site's URL has the word Disney in it and it is not a site operated by Disney, do not buy tickets there.

Disney does not allow legitimate ticket brokers to sell discounted 1-day tickets, so if you see a site offering those at a discount, run away fast.

Some sites require you to pay by Western Union or other cash-equivalent services, which means you'll never be able to get the money back. That should be a huge red flag. ALWAYS pay by credit card (not debit card) when making purchases on the Internet!<<

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,941 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "rented" Disneyland Tickes

They are not legit and not worth it if they can't get you in.

What these companies are doing is buying Park Hopper tickets, like a 5 day from someone who says they only used 2 or 3 days. In truth, the company buying the ticket has no way if knowing if it is true.

Disney is also cracking down on these illegitimate transfers by asking you when you go through Main Gate, when you first used the ticket. If you can't answer correctly, they deny admission and take the ticket.

Don't do it.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
421 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "rented" Disneyland Tickes

Hi,

I agree with everyone about this. It's been done for years in Orlando and there are tons of kiosks throughout that area that offer these types of deals. The Anaheim Resort Area has been fortunate to not see a lot of this activity.

Which companies are offering these?

Good luck but stay legit - it will assure a good vacation - even if it's more expensive...

Tom - Owner

Anaheim Tour company

San Francisco...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: "rented" Disneyland Tickes

Thanks everyone. I think I'll stick to purchasing directly from Disney. I don't want to take that chance of getting to the gate and can't get in. I'll be really mad! I do have a few discount websites and AAA if I want to get the hopper tickets :)

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "rented" Disneyland Tickes

I didn't find any deals with AAA so if you do that's great.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
421 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "rented" Disneyland Tickes

Good choice and have a wonderful trip.

Do you remember the names of the companies that are offering to "rent" these tickets?

Tom

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "rented" Disneyland Tickes

We had 14 day park hopper tickets during our recent stay , either my husband or I were asked each day a question or two to verify whether we were the legitimate owners of the tickets , ie ; when was the fist day of use , who's name was the booking made under , photo id check to match the name with the ticket , what credit card was used to purchase the tickets.

There are a number of ways for them to check who is the legal owners of the tickets and they will check , it is not worth ruining a holiday just by scrimping a few dollars on cheap tickets

Olathe KS
Level Contributor
897 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: "rented" Disneyland Tickes

Well....I will be honest here.

For years, I would buy the 6-day hoppers, use three days, then pre-sell the unused portion on ebay. Everybody was a winner. I made back money on the unused portion, the buyers got three-day hoppers at a large discount, and Disneyland got a full 6 days of customers paying $4.50 for bottles of water on each ticket!

It worked great for about 5 years....until last year. Same plan as always, same steps...only this time, there was a problem. On our last day, the old man at the main gate wanted my youngest son to "sign" his ticket. I told the man at the gate that my son was not signing anyting and we continued on our way into the park. No problem. That night, I made the exchange with the buyer of the tickets and we went our separate ways....

I got a phone call the next day. The new owners had been blocked from entry. They went to the ticket office and were drilled with multiple questions. I tried to help them out, but it was of no use. Disney invalidated the tickets. I did refund the price the second owners paid me. (i'm not a scammer)

In hind-sight what must have happened is that the old guy at the turnstyles must have flagged the tickets because I refused to have my son sign his (all of them were unsigned). This would not have even been an issue if this had happened on one of the previous two days in the park. I would have still been flagged, but could have had the tickets re-authorized by showing my ID and credit card that i bought them with.

So that is the end of that. No more with making two sets of people happy with a mutually beneficial arrangement. I'm not angry at Disneyland, it's within their rights as they say they are not transferable.

My suggestion is that if you know the person and can address any questions quickly, try to share some long-term park hoppers to save money, but I also agree that there are too many scammers out there to trust anyone you don't know.

Edited: 10 May 2012, 22:30
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
421 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "rented" Disneyland Tickes

Mr Snappy... that IS really honest.

I can see your point and it does seem on the surface that everyone is a winner but it's against the policy and pretty clear.

I commend you on the honestly and especially on telling the whole story - it was really interesting (I would have paid to read it had it been a book...).

I always thought this was done more by the kiosk people... Thank you for sharing - shouldn't have posted your photo though... we'll be looking for you...

Tom - Owner

Anaheim Tour Company