We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cute towns, nature in Orange county

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
cute towns, nature in Orange county

I will be going to Anaheim end of May for a conference for a week by myself and have a few questions. I'll arrive and depart from LAX. I've never been to SouthernCalifornia. I will arrive Friday night, the conference starts Monday morning and I'm flying out 10:25pm on Thursday. I will have a car. I don't like amusement/theme parks and i don't want to see Hollywood. I'm mainly interested in seeing nature, some shopping, cute towns. I will stay at Anaheim during conference and in Whitier at Friday and Saturday night. Most likely I will have a full Saturday, half-day on Sunday and a full day on Thursday for sight seeing. I'll also have free 3 hours during day and free evenings. I came up with a tentative plan but want to see if I miss anything and I'll include my questions

Saturday - Mishe mokwa loop hike to Sandstone peak, eat lunch at Neptune's net, finish the day at Point Dume State beach park. How safe would it be for a solo female to do that hike?

Sunday - not sure

Monday - daytime - walk in Dysney downtown - do I need to buy a ticket to Disneyworld for that?. Evening - go to Crystal cove state park

Tuesday - daytime - block at orange shopping, evening Heisler park beach,

Wed - daytime Old town Orange, evening Laguana - good place to eat in Laguana for a solo traveler

Thur - not sure what to do...

Thank you

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,424 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cute towns, nature in Orange county

I answered in your other question about where to eat in Laguna Beach.

Other cute towns in Orange County include Downtown Fullerton, Balboa Island, San Juan Capistrasno and Corona del Mar.

Good spots to eat near the Orange Circle include Gabbi's Mexican Kitchen, Felix Continental Cafe (Cuban) and Haven Gastropub.

Oh and I meant to mention before, my family goes back to the 1700's in Ephrata Township and Lititz among other places in Lancaster Co. and PA in general :)

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,982 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cute towns, nature in Orange county

Glad to see you are reposting in Anaheim.

BTW, Scott is one of the go-to people for Chinese food recommendations (or any food recommendations).

Berezka, even though I live in the San Gabriel Valley, Scott seems to know even more about the Chinese restaurants here--though I have some favorites-- so you might want to pose that question while you've got his attention!

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,982 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cute towns, nature in Orange county

Never mind...I just saw that Scott already answered your restaurant questions on your LA post. Pretty much got that covered!

Im pretty sure someone will provide you with info on some great isolated beaches and lovely hikes in OC too.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,593 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cute towns, nature in Orange county

Also recommend Balboa Island in OC. You can even take the ferry across to the fun zone on the peninsula. Quintessential beach town in California:

http://www.balboaisland.com/

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
421 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cute towns, nature in Orange county

Hi,

I love the trail around Back Bay in Newport which is beautiful. I also love the hiking trails off Laguna Canyon Road just West of the 405 freeway (about 4 miles).

Beautiful time of year to visit either. There is a nature center off Irvine Blvd west of the 73 that is very well done and also hiking trails all through there which is the Eastern Part of the Back Bay Preserve.

Also, I just went, last weekend, to hike in these BEAUTIFUL fields that are located off Culver and Shady Canyon Drive. You can actually start there and hike all the way to the Ocean which is about 9 miles and ends near Crystal Cove.

The Wild Flowers are beautiful right now and it's very well kept and a very safe area. If you are at Culver and the 405 Freeway, head WEST on Culver to Shady Canyon and turn left. About a mile before the guard gate on the right is the park and nature trails.

Really spectacular - my wife said it's her new favorite outdoors spot...

Hope that helps.

Tom - Owner

Anaheim Tour Company

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,187 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cute towns, nature in Orange county

Heres more ideas for you of things to do in Anaheim in this thread

tripadvisor.com/…32848045

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: cute towns, nature in Orange county

Thank you everyone for your replies.

On Saturday I'm leaning towards going to Pasadena and then LA arboretum because they're close to Whittier where I will be staying during the weekend. Can someone suggest a good place for lunch in that area? (Ethnic or something "Californian"? Are there any other options for sight seeing close to Whittier?

Thursday - hike near Culver that was suggested on LA post since I'm flying out of LAX and will be close to that area.

Scottca075 - I love Littiz

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,170 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cute towns, nature in Orange county

If you have time definitely check out the Huntington Library. Also the underrated Asia Pacific Museum in Pasadena. Pasadena City Hall is also a wonderful structure.

As for restaurants, check out the options in Old Town Pasadena.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,428 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cute towns, nature in Orange county

Huntington Library is one of my favorite places in southern California. 120 acres of gardens in 14 themes, plus a library and art gallery. The signature Japanese garden just reopened after a year-long remodel. It's in San Marino, near Pasadena. http://huntington.org/

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
421 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cute towns, nature in Orange county

Hi,

I love Huntington Library as well. My wife just went there last week and came back with all kinds of information about it. She and I used to visit there a lot and it's lovely.

Another place I used to visit up there is in La Canada Flintridge (just above Pasadena in the hills) and it's called Descanso Gardens. This is 25 years ago but it was BEEEAUTIFUL and off the beaten track a little so not as busy.

They had a lunch place as I recall and afternoon tea place - really made an impression on me if I'm still talking about it.

Maybe someone else knows if it's still around. Definitely worth the trip.

Lunch in many Old Town Pasadena Places is great and I love that area. Went to school there and loved a deli called Stottlemeyers. Very authentic and amazing sandwiches. Like a different life because I'm 49 now and that was a long time ago.

You've got options now as I think about just what I've posted (not counting all the other great posts) within an area that is 70 miles by 40 miles and not that many days to do stuff.

I hope this all helps and that you find what you are looking for.

Tom - Owner

Anaheim Tour Company