We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is CarsLand being overhyped?

Olathe KS
Level Contributor
897 posts
Save Topic
Is CarsLand being overhyped?

I am starting to wonder if all of this hype and promotion is going to produce an expectation that can never be delivered. I think this happened recently with the Little Mermaid ride. Mermaid was never meant to be anything other than a middle-level dark ride and people eater, yet some had worked up in their minds that the ride would be on par with the greatest E ticket attraction ever created.

I love the whole concept of CarsLand, but have a feeling that come July 15, this forum and the rest of the Disney-verse will be filled with posts about dissapointment and negativity. I already see it with a prominent blogger over on a famous Disneyland blog/website.

I wish they would stop with the media saturation, quick teases, show tie-ins (AFV) and other nonstop promotions. The park will be flooded, so they don't have to drum-up business. Let each guest create an impression without the force-feeding.

What say you?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,978 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is CarsLand being overhyped?

That "famous" Disneyland blog/website isn't famous, it is notorious. Negativity is what is all about and has been since the RADP days.

CarsLand will be fine for a certain segment, but it isn't like redoing a land like Fantasyland or Tomorrowland.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is CarsLand being overhyped?

OK, wow, waht a question to ask. As a "theme Park Expert", I have been in my "second" job mode for the last week or two, inlcuding way too much media stuff.

But I have been talking "behind the scenes" with many folks, Park Presidents, PR and Marketing execs, etc. This is THE week for most park ride/attraction openings, DCA would have loved to open a month ago, but due to construction issues, wasn't to be.

We all agree, Disney is looking at Cars Land as the "re-opening" of the park, and trying to do what they wanted to do in 2001, make Disneyland switch from a Regional Park to a Destination Park. So the prices and other items have gone up, and if they don't get the attendance/hotel room Bookings they expect, then the discounts and special offers will show up in the fall. So only time will tell....

As for all the media buys, that is the thing now, get the word out early, and get the message out. Actually I have seen more LEGOLAND and SeaWorld ads than Disneyland ads in the last few weeks.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is CarsLand being overhyped?

Where do you guys even see these ads?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,921 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is CarsLand being overhyped?

I find Carsland to be far superior to the LIitle Mermaid ride, i dont think theres really a comparison there imo (which i was not that excited about the Little Mermaid ride to begin with frankley in spite of the hype.)

I find just the Cadillac Mountain Range (oops am i supposed to use that word? ;) ) to be fascinating in itself, and after seeing the nighttime photos of that area, i thinks its going to be worth it just for that alone besides any rides it may have imo. I also been hearing the Radiator Springs Racer ride is very cool to ride at night.

…go.com/blog/…

…go.com/blog/…

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,349 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is CarsLand being overhyped?

Everything everywhere is overhyped these days, but it's necessary to generate demand. I don't blame Disney for using the ABC TV network to promote their products and services. Walt Disney himself shrewdly and effectively used television to heavily promote Disneyland even before the park opened. It's necessary to create interest and excitement and demand, to get people to actually go there. Whether Carsland will live up to expectations or not will be up to the guests to decide. The more quality additions to the parks they make, the better. My only concern is what seems to be a lack of shade there; how's that going to play out on a hot August or September afternoon?

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,926 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is CarsLand being overhyped?

Ask Disney to stop the promotion? Are you serious?

7. Re: Is CarsLand being overhyped?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 May 2012, 23:35
8. Re: Is CarsLand being overhyped?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 May 2012, 04:05
Olathe KS
Level Contributor
897 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is CarsLand being overhyped?

Whoa!

What happened here? On Saturday, this whole thread had been deleted, each individual post including my first one...now it's back up with the last two posts deleted??

Not sure what happened, but it was weird!

Oh well. Our first trip back to Disneyland will be in October. I think I am going to get myself on a media and internet blackout, especially any night shots or descriptions. I want it to be new and overwhelming when we go.

Alberta
Level Contributor
768 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is CarsLand being overhyped?

I too was wondering what the heck was going on with this thread of posts. I read them all before they were deleted....not sure what was wrong with the two that are now left deleted. Oh well. I do look forward to read revews once the Carsland has opened. I hope it's great and not "overhyped"!