We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train or bus from Fullerton Amtrak to Anaheim?

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,778 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Train or bus from Fullerton Amtrak to Anaheim?

Arriving in Fullerton via Amtrak at 6:30am, need to get to Disneyland area at some point. We will each (mom and teen) have 1 pullable suitcase each plus carry on laptop. We will need to have breakfast soon after we arrive.

1. Should I take the train to Anaheim station, find a place for breakfast and then bus to hotel on Katella/Harbor.

2. Breakfast at Fullerton Station and then 43 bus to Anaheim.

3. Also, anyone that has stayed at Alpine Inn...do they hold luggage or ever have early check in? I can call them, just interested in your info.

Sandakan, Malaysia
Level Contributor
337 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train or bus from Fullerton Amtrak to Anaheim?

1.// Anaheim Amtrak station is in the middle of nowhere so to speak (actually it's at the stadium and surrounded by a big parking lot. Am quite certain there's no place to eat there.

2.// you may have issues re bringing on luggage. Your best bet would be taxi.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,817 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train or bus from Fullerton Amtrak to Anaheim?

Its about 2 miles from the Amtrak Station near the Angel Stadium to Disneyland.

Since you will have luggage, most people just take a cab from the Amtrak Station near the Stadium since its pretty inexpensive, about $15 or so.

There would be plenty of places to eat near the Alpine Inn in walking distance, such as North up Harbor Blvd across the Entrance from Disneyland, theres a Denny's, I hop, Mimi Cafe ect.

And if you walk a little East of your Hotel the Anaheim Gardenwalk with lots of good Restaurants.

Most Motels including the Alpine inn will hold your luggage for you if you cant check in early when you arrive. (usually though early checkin would mean around 12pm or 1pm)

Edited: 02 June 2012, 03:44
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train or bus from Fullerton Amtrak to Anaheim?

I would clearly use the Fullerton Station. Plenty of places to eat, and easy to find the Route 43 bus stop.

Alas, the Anaheim Station, as mentioned is in the middle of the Angel Stadium parking lot, and it is hard to find the bus stop, which requires a walk through a business park.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
421 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train or bus from Fullerton Amtrak to Anaheim?

CasaAzul,

I agree with Darkbeer. The Fullerton station is easy and is right up the street from your hotel (about 6 miles maybe, but still almost the same street).

Eat there around the station and then cross Harbor and take the 43 down to Anaheim and exit at Katella. The bus stop is just West (or South depending on how it's shown on the bus map) of Katella. When you get off the bus, you simply walk back toward Katella (about 50 feet) and cross the street back in the direction the bus came from and then turn left.

The Alpine is right there, just past the Desert Palms hotel about a hundred and twenty five yards away.

They will hold suitcases and the owners who are frequently at the front desk are great looking after their guests. It's not the fanciest hotel in Anaheim but it's really cute, in my opinion.

Post a report about it here, after you've stayed, if you get a chance.

You'll find it an easy bus ride but, if you want to take a cab, I would assume it's about $20 or less so, taking the bus only saves you about $15.

Enjoy your trip!

Tom - Owner

Anaheim Tour Company

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train or bus from Fullerton Amtrak to Anaheim?

There is a restaurant called Knowlwood at the edge of the parking lot for the Fullerton train station. They have a full breakfast menu but don't open until 7.

I would not transfer trains just to go the short distance to Anaheim. There are places to eat close to the train station in Anaheim and it is not as isolated or remote as the other posts make it sound. It is on the edge of the Angels parking lot and a short walk to several places to eat, although I am not sure what would be open for breakfast besides fast food. But, it is just not worth the expense and time to change trains, it is easier just to take a cab or bus from Fullerton.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,778 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train or bus from Fullerton Amtrak to Anaheim?

Thanks everyone. I think bus or cab from Fullerton. Do you have to call a cab or do they mill about like at airports? Never taken a cab in CA before.

Good to hear the owners of Alpine Inn are visible and helpful.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train or bus from Fullerton Amtrak to Anaheim?

I recall cabs waiting at Fullerton station, it's a pretty big transfer point.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,373 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train or bus from Fullerton Amtrak to Anaheim?

I too would use the Fullerton station and the Alpine should have no problem holding the luggage.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
421 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train or bus from Fullerton Amtrak to Anaheim?

I just re-read your post and you are arriving pretty early... I love Knollwoods but don't remember if the open that early. Awesome hamburgers, though.

If you can hang in there when you arrive for an hour or less for breakfast, I would catch a cab or bus and head down to the Alpine.

If you are traveling with a cellphone, you can call a cab at 714-999-9999 when you arrive to have a cab waiting. You can also find out the next #43 bus heading south (or west) depending on how they quantify it by calling the OCTA at 714-636-RIDE and following the prompts. If you have a smartphone, it's www.OCTA.net.

Another poster mentioned about heading north on Harbor for breakfast. I guess it depends on what you are planning to do that day but the restaurants across from the Park notoriously overcharge. I-hop both next to the Red Lion and Best Western don't offer the national I-Hop specials and can be 20% above normal prices. If you are going to Disneyland and want to get right there, go to the Subway which is 24 hours at the corner and across harbor from you.

If you are going to take it easy your first day, turn right from your hotel to the second light and go to Tiffy's or Carrows at Katella and Disneyland drive. Both are good, less busy and fair priced.

CasaAzul, I hope all that helps.

Tom

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train or bus from Fullerton Amtrak to Anaheim?

The phrase "the middle of nowhere" is used incorrected here and is very misleading. Being in the "middle of nowhere" means that there is absolutely nothing where you are, not a town, city, parking lot, stadium, etc. and conjures up images of a desert or deserted dirt roads for miles and miles.

Edited: 03 June 2012, 01:42