We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have to cancel trip - what to do with park passes

Slave Lake
Level Contributor
110 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Have to cancel trip - what to do with park passes

I purchased park passes directly from Disney a month ago - 4 adult and 6 children - but now have to cancel the trip due to medical reasons. What can I do with the tickets? Disney states that they are non-refundable but I don't want to be stuck with $2500 worth of tickets I can't use. Can I resell them? They haven't been used, they are the pdf copies that Disney emails you when you purchase from their website.

Special Offer
Best of Los Angeles Tour from Anaheim
196 reviews
from US$57.99*
US$67.99
Disneyland or Disney's California...
181 reviews
from US$152.99*
Anaheim Theme Park Transport...
232 reviews
from US$34.99*
Universal Studios Hollywood with...
45 reviews
from US$142.99*
SoCal
Level Contributor
5,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have to cancel trip - what to do with park passes

Have you contacted Disney and tried? When do they expire?

Slave Lake
Level Contributor
110 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have to cancel trip - what to do with park passes

I was going to call Disney later today.

The expire Dec 31, 2012.

Unfortunately, my wife is a school teacher so the only time we could take the trip (assuming the medical stuff works out) would be Xmas and as much as I'd like to see Disneyland at Xmas, I'm not that much of a masochist.

Alberta
Level Contributor
768 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have to cancel trip - what to do with park passes

I've heard of a number of people who have contacted Disney and received refunds. One mentioned mailing the tickets back to Disney and it taking about six weeks for the refund. You should contact Disney.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
425 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have to cancel trip - what to do with park passes

Ed,

So sorry to hear that you have to cancel the trip and I hope the medical reasons for the cancellation are resolved successfully and that you can come here another time.

That's got to be disappointing for everyone but Disneyland will still be here when you are all well and ready to return.

I often hear about Disneyland refunding tickets, in full for these types of reasons and would be surprised if they don't. Keep us posted on how it goes and be sure to post a topic when you are able to return!

All the Best,

Tom

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,858 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have to cancel trip - what to do with park passes

BigEd99,

As stated we have had someone on the forums recently with that sort of problem and when they contacted Disney and explained the situation they were able to get thier money back.

However, it would be a no to resale of Disneyland tickets, the tickets state they are non transferable.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Have to cancel trip - what to do with park passes

If they don't refund, I wouldn't see a problem with selling them for face value to someone that you may know. I often help friends that visit every summer from overseas by purchasing their sporting event and amusement park tickets on their behalf and they just pay me back when they arrive. They are valid totally unused tickets that don't have an individuals name attached to them.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,858 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Have to cancel trip - what to do with park passes

Since the tickets are not an actual ticket but an E-ticket though, there could be a problem if someone else tries to use them besides the person that purchased them who would have the receipt. They could ask for the purchasers ID when trying to redeem the E-ticket

Would that likely happen? propbably not, but it could if there were something wrong with the bar code on the ticket when the Castmember tried to scan it, they could send you to the ticket window where you could be required to show your receipt and the purchasers ID.

Slave Lake
Level Contributor
110 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Have to cancel trip - what to do with park passes

I called Disney and spoke to a cast member. She instructed me to send the ticket office an email as there wasn't anything she could do. She did hint that I 'MAY' be able to get a refund. So I sent them an email explaining the situation but won't hear anything back for up to 5 days.

Once I get a response I'll be sure to post again.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,872 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Have to cancel trip - what to do with park passes

Not to worry, you will get a refund. I am the person who got the mail refund. This was a few years ago and they were hard tickets. The PDF form could be handled differently, I don't know.

When I called Disneyland Guest Relations, I was actually asking if I could use the two tickets to put towards an upgrade of one annual passport (the answer was no). I was put through to a special office right away and they automatically gave me the offer of a refund saying that would make it possible for me to put the total towards an annual pass but that I was under no obligation to do so. I had explained they were a gift and assumed that they give refunds only under certain circumstances. Yours should be quite acceptable.

I was told to mail my tickets (registed mail, if possible) after making photo copies of them and told what information to include. The mailing address was part of the Disney Company, but a center in a different state. I was told I would get a refund check in 8 to 12 weeks. (It might have been a minimum of 6, but saying 8 here to be careful.) I didn't have to wait the full time. There is a code on the tickets that lets them know exactly how much they sold for and that is how they know whether they were bought during a special offer or not.

I am surprised they could not put you through on the phone right away and asked you to email, but maybe that office was closed or too busy. I'm also surprised it will take 5 days to hear from them, but maybe that means the refund will come quicker. You never know.

Edited: 03 June 2012, 04:19
Slave Lake
Level Contributor
110 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Have to cancel trip - what to do with park passes

Just got an email from Disney ticketing and they are going to refund my money. Took a little longer than I thought it would but at the end of the day it all worked out.

Thanks for all of the responses.