We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is there for big kids to do?

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What is there for big kids to do?

We're looking at possibly doing 4 days in Anaheim next June. We'll check out the Disney parks, but what else is there for a mid 40's couple to do? We'll have a car.

Ta.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,395 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is there for big kids to do?

It may be helpful if you can tell us a little more about what you may be interested in doing and how far away you may want to travel from Anaheim as there are lots of other places you can visit such as in the LA area, beach communities, San Diego, ect, ect.

However, a 2 or 3 day Parkhopper is usually suggested anyway for a visit to Disneyland since there is plenty to keep you busy for at least that amount of time especially if you are comming in June when Disneyland will be busy for the Summertime.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,316 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is there for big kids to do?

Take your pick!

Knott's Berry Farm theme park and Market Place. The Market Place is centered around the famous and historic Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant, which has great fried chicken meals. This was was actually here before Disneyland existed. Walter Knott and Walt Disney were friends with a great working relationship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knott's_Berry_Farm

There are several nice beaches close to Anaheim. Laguna, Newport, Babloa Pier Beach, Huntington.

Sports - Depending on the season: Major League Baseball at Angeles Stadium, down the street from Disneyland Resort. National Hockey League, the Mighty Ducks at the Honda Center pretty close.

A few miles to the east, in Yorba Linda, there is a presidental library, the Richard M. Nixon Birthplace and Presidental Library.

There is a large performing arts theater in nearby Costa Mesa.

I never can tell what people may like by their age. When I was in my 20's, I hated going to "dance clubs" with friends. Now I am in my 50's and still love theme parks. I assume you mean you are young at heart, "big kids".

Edited: 13 July 2012, 22:13
3. Re: What is there for big kids to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2012, 22:07
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,362 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is there for big kids to do?

While the Getty museums are interesting, their collections are outshown by their architecture. For art lovers, the Los Angeles County Museum of Art should be higher on the list. In that same area is the Peterson Auto Museum, LA Farmers' Market and The Grove.

Bowers Museum in Santa Ana is also worthwhile and Laguna Beach Museum has a wonderful collection of early California art.

I'm a bit confused by Tom's note "(history)" after Dodger Stadium. It's not particularly old. It was built in 1958.

For foodies, with a car, I definitely recommend trying restaurants in Newport Beach and Laguna Beach. Anaheim's choices are mainly chains with little character or quality. Exceptions are Roy's (but the Newport location is better IMO), Mr. Stox, The White House and Napa Rose.

Give us a little more information about your interests and we can better assist you.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,316 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is there for big kids to do?

Just a note:

Anaheim is in Orange County. Los Angeles, San Diego, Palm Springs, and Simi Valley (location of the Reagan Library) are all in other counties pretty far from Anaheim. There long distances between them, with lengthy frreeway required. Locations mentioned that are within Los Angeles (Getty Museums,Dodgers, etc) are shorter distances than the Palm Springs, SD, and Simi Valley (all of those could take up to two hours or more versus pehaps one hour to travel to locations in LA). The closest attractions in LA County are the Queen Mary and Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach. Those are a fairly short drive.

It's not immediately evident from your posting, but I assume what you meant was what else is in the Anaheim area. The average visit to Disneyland Resort Parks is three days. If you are visiting the parks for three days, assuming that is what you are planning, you have only one extra day. It is up to you if you want to see visit some place close to Anaheim or go further a field with your car. If it was me, though, I would probably just use that car to transport me to a fun, interesting location near Anaheim spending a lot of time on freeways to get someplace out of the area. Just my two cents.

Edited: 14 July 2012, 07:52
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,316 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is there for big kids to do?

That last sentence of my post was supposed to say versus spending a lot of time on freeways, etc.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is there for big kids to do?

4 hour drive to vegas

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is there for big kids to do?

I have had to drive to Nevada a couple of times in the last month, a 4 hours is the bare minimum, basic no stops, fast driving and getting lucky with no traffic. To be honest, 5 to 6 hours is a better average, this allows for one short stop for gas and something to drink/eat, and a chance to releive yourself. (There are a couple of Rest Stops off the freeway in the second half of the trip if all you need is a restroom).

One thing that has not been mentioned, and that is Shopping. Plenty of interesting Malls near Disneyland. South Coast Plaza is one of the best Upscale Malls in the World. Fashion Island in Newport Beach is nice, and has some great views of Balboa Island, the Balboa Peninsula and the Pacific Ocean.

Prefer Outlet Shopping, The Outlets at Orange and The Citadel Outlets are two nice options.

Getting back to the Balboa Peninsula, how about a boat tour, or whale watching?

Here is a link to the Orange County Tourism Board's website.

www.visittheoc.com

9. Re: What is there for big kids to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2012, 22:07
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,316 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is there for big kids to do?

The OP and his wife have just finished their third trip (at least) to Las Vegas. Here is the trip report.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g45963-i10-k549177…

Mikey, after reading your trip report for LV I am now wondering if you would like to know where to get a good beer in Disneyland Resort or nearby!

Edited: 14 July 2012, 23:40