We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report "Dreams Do Come True"

Mackay, Australia
Level Contributor
89 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report "Dreams Do Come True"

Part 1:

Firstly, about us. Family of 4. Mum, Dad, Miss 12 and Miss 8. First overseas trip, all excited to finally be on our way after waiting/planning for 12 months. Have been dreaming of taking the kids to Disneyland since they were born, just waiting for them to get older so they could do it all. We arrived in LA at 7.30am Monday. Had pre-instructed the kids to get plenty of sleep on the plane – but once on board the excitement and inflight entertainment was too much to ignore so not much sleeping got done on that 14 hour flight. I had heard stories about US Customs so was a bit anxious but we had no worries, found them courteous and was quickly processed thru. 20 minutes from landing we were on the pavement waiting for our shuttle pick up. We had ‘booked’ with Super Shuttle … meh. Wouldn’t use them again, waited 30 minutes for a van with ‘Anaheim’ on it to actually stop and pick us up. Not a lot of communication. Van was grotty. The kids fell asleep – if only they had listened to their Mother!.

We arrived at our hotel. I had selected Desert Palms Inn and Suites after careful evaluation on Trip Advisor reviews and rating. We had booked a Kids suite which was great. They provide a free hot breakfast (with waffle stations - the kids favourite) which we utilised most days. 10 minute walk up Harbor Blvd to Disneyland entrance. In all we didn’t actually spend a lot of awake time there in our 11 day stay, but we were very happy with Desert Palms facilities, room, customer service etc.,

Plan ‘A’ had been to check in and start having a look around, change our 14 day Hopper Pass voucher into tickets, check out Downtown Disney .. plan had to be revaluated due to tired kids. We all had a 2 hour nap, woke up feeling recharged and enthusiastic. Back to plan ‘A’.

After having a look around the area (Disneyland entrance area, Souvenir shops along Harbor Blv, Garden Walk) we had an early dinner at California Pizza Kitchen – yum, then back to have an early’ish night ready to hit Disneyland in the morning.

Stay tuned...

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
758 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report "Dreams Do Come True"

Can't wait to hear more....

Cooroy, Australia
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report "Dreams Do Come True"

Oh I hope my girls sleep on the plane :) looking forward to hearing more

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
345 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report "Dreams Do Come True"

My kids won't sleep, but I will ha ha. What a bad mother I am!

Great first day NQ - keep it coming.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report "Dreams Do Come True"

Oh I can't wait to read more! I hope mine sleep on the plane for at least 10 hours hahaha wishful thinking for my 18 month old.

Edited: 25 October 2012, 12:13
Mackay, Australia
Level Contributor
89 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report "Dreams Do Come True"

Day 1:

We woke early, keen to get to Disneyland. It was a beautiful day, we were so excited as we walked up Harbor Blvd and into the entrance area. The next minute we were walking up Main street. I got a bit choked up, but didn't let the family see :) finally, we were HERE!!!

We found the Main Street Photo shop and picked up our Photopass+ I had pre-ordered, we made a quick trip to one of the gift shops and picked up a autograph book for each of the girls, and a lanyard/holder for our tickets, it was hard not to start buying things, the kids wanted everything. After taking in the sights of Main Street for awhile, the girls could not wait any longer .. they wanted to go on some rides!! With Sleeping Beauty's Castle right in front of us - we were drawn into Fantasyland and that is where we pretty much spent the day.

As the day wore on the crowds built up a bit, but we did EVERY ride there. Wait times were ok, 15 to 20 minutes or so for rides. Our favourite rides there would have to be Peter Pans Flight and Matterhorn Bobsleds (we rode that twice - both sides and we all preferred the fast side). Towards the end of the day we lined up for Pixie Hollow, with the girls getting photos with Tinkerbell and Periwinkle. The line wait was an hour for this one .. but the girls were determined to get a photo. The path that leads to Pixie Hollow is so cute, it helped pass the time. The kids loved it, and really got into the whole magic of Disneyland.

We didn't rush ourselves, took the time to savour it all and take in the magic. After a magical first day we sat down and had something to eat and watch Disneyland light up as it got dark. As the park closed at 8pm, it was time to end day 1. We walked back to our hotel tired, feet sore, but oh so happy and couldn't wait to go back and do it all again tomorrow.

Level Contributor
35,249 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report "Dreams Do Come True"

Sounds like a really fun time! We are going to Southern CA in early Dec. and are seriously considering a day at Disneyland. :)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,658 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report "Dreams Do Come True"

Off to a good start.

I am anxious to hear where else you ate, in and out of the parks.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,726 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report "Dreams Do Come True"

Thanks for the nice Trip Report, its always nice to hear back from people how thier trip went.

United States
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report "Dreams Do Come True"

Thanks for sharing. I have 8 days until I'm there. ;). Sounds like you had a great time!

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report "Dreams Do Come True"

Well written trip report. Among some of the best here. JMO.