We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney World or Disney Land?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,167 posts
777 reviews
Save Topic
Disney World or Disney Land?

I know this may be a difficult question to answer, but what would one recommend, Disney World or Disney Land?

In terms of cost, other things to do nearby and general atmosphere (considering this is essentially for a three year old)?

Any insight on preference and why would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,665 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney World or Disney Land?

I would say Disneyland would likely be better for a smaller child.

There are two Parks located directly across from each other, so easy to hop back and forth, and the Parks are smaller than at Disneyworld, and not the long distances between Parks.

You can also stay directly across the street from the Disneyland Main entrance and simply walk in. You can also stay in close distance to Both Parks at one of the Disney owned Hotels, so you have more options close to Disneyland.

Things are more condensed in a certain area for Disneyworld, where Disneyland has a variety of things to do in LA about a 45 min drive North, as well as other areas. South of Disneyland would be San Diego about a 90 min drive. You could easily spend 3 days or so in those desintations as well. You are also about a 30 min drive to the Ocean from Anaheim.

Plus, Imo the original Disneyland has a special Feel to the Park.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney World or Disney Land?

Another vote for Disneyland in Anaheim. Let alone do you have the Disneyland Resort, which is a much more compacted area than Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida. Nearby you have Knott's Berry Farm and Adventure City that are great for little ones.

United States
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney World or Disney Land?

Disneyland!

If you look at the rides in Disneyworld and compare them to Disneland you'll find you get many of the same rides in fewer parks. :)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,707 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney World or Disney Land?

Given that you plan on going for 6 nights/7days and only plan to spend 3 days in theme parks, I'd choose Disneyland, especially with a three year old. The Anaheim/Los Angeles area has a lot more to do than the Orlando area. In general Orlando is all about the theme parks and there isn't the same depth of attractions that LA has.

I also think that Disneyland is better than the Magic Kingdom, especially for a younger child.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,167 posts
777 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney World or Disney Land?

Is there much of a cost differential??

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,543 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney World or Disney Land?

Florida is less expensive than Southern California -- hotels, meals, etc. but it wouldn't convince me to pick Disney World over DL for your particular needs.

Orlando/Lake Buena Vista is a RESORT AREA -- theme parks, restaurants, hotels -- that's about it.

Southern California is a major metropolitan center with 100s of attractions besides theme parks.

If you're looking for a VARIETY of tourist attractions, southern California is packed with them.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,707 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disney World or Disney Land?

>>>Is there much of a cost differential??<<<

The cost differential is all dependent on you. You can do either as cheaply or as expensive as you like. You get a better value in Walt Disney World, meaning for what you pay for a so so hotel in Anaheim, you can get a condo with a nice pool complex in the WDW area. But the cost differential itself won't be huge.

The big question is, if you are only looking at theme park activities 3 days out of 6, how do you want to spend the 3 days?

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Disney World or Disney Land?

scottca075, said it very well. We have been to Disneyworld 3 out of the last 4 years and I can tell you there are a million ways to plan a trip. A person could spend 2500.00 dollars to travel and have a room. or they could easily spend 8000.00 dollars. IT is all up to you, We have not left yet, but from what I can see so far they are pretty close to the same in price. At Disney World the Delux Disney Hotels are very much worth every penny, but as with most things you get what you pay for. Others would argue but I would never go to Disneyworld and not stay on property. just my 2 cents worth.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
299 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disney World or Disney Land?

Yes I am also interested to read about comparisons between the two Disneys as we are planning to have a big California trip next year and we have done Disneyworld Florida many times and we know it very well. I know Disneyland is smaller but are there any other differences we should know about. I was interested to read above about Southern California being more expensive than Florida?

NJ
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Disney World or Disney Land?

I have had the pleasure of visiting both locations

Loved the m BOTH

I'll bet the answers would be alittle different if you post the same question on the WDW forum

good luck

Get answers to your questions about Anaheim