We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monorail from downtown disney

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
46 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Monorail from downtown disney

Hello Disney experts!

We are taking out 5 year old to DL in early Feb and would like to see a bit of Disneyland for evening hours ( mostly for the fireworks) the night we arrive. Our hotel is on Katella so I've read it's easiest to get into Tomorrowland via the monorail getting on at Downtown Disney station. We plan on having an early dinner there and then going into Disneyland park after... park is open until midnight that day. My question is, can you enter the park this way if you have not yet used your entrance ticket? I will be purchasing them ahead of time online.

Question 2 is, do they mail actual tickets or do you print a voucher to take to a ticket booth on arrival?

Thank you, and sorry for the lengthy question :)

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monorail from downtown disney

When I purchased online I printed my tickets at home. They have a bar code on them. You take them directly to the TURNSTILES not the ticket booth. At the turnstiles they scan each ticket and an actual Disney ticket is printed on the spot for you to use for fast pass & returns if you have more than one day. Now I don't know anything about the Monorail entry so someone else will have to answer that part of your question.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,437 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monorail from downtown disney

The Monorail has very sporatic times and it not always available to enter or exit DIsneyland, and often has a wait time, so while you may want to try that way, Its likely to be just as fast for you to walk from Downtown Disney into Disneyland.

As far as Im aware, the Monorail area has the same capacity for scanning your E-ticket and giving you an actual ticket as the Turnstiles do at the Disneyland Main Entrance.

You have a few options about the delivery of your Disneyland ticket when purchased on the Disneyland.com website. You can print out an E-ticket at home, or have actual tickets sent to you, of have them waiting for you at a "Will Call" window at Disneyland.

The E- ticket as said, you can take directly to the Turnstiles at the Monorail where they will ask adults for ID, and scan the E-ticket and print the name on your Photo ID on the ticket.

Where are you staying on Katella? Depending on where you are staying, it may actually be closer to walk into the Main Entrance off of Harbor Blvd, or you would have Art Shuttle access.

But, if you are closer to Disneyland dr, the fastest way ( the other way is quite a bit longer) is to walk North on Disneyland dr to the Grand Californian Hotel, through the Hotel and out thier North side Entrance into Downtown Disney and through to the Turnstiles, ( it would be backtracking from this point to go to the Monorail from there)

Level Contributor
34,979 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monorail from downtown disney

We printer our tickets out at home and had no problems. Enjoy your time in Disneyland! :)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,225 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monorail from downtown disney

Which hotel are you staying at? The monorail is at the extreme west end of Downtown Disney. If you eat at the Rainforest Cafe, the monorail is right there, but if you go to Naples, it is just as easy and maybe faster, depending on crowds, to use the main entrance.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
46 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monorail from downtown disney

Thanks so much for the great information everyone! We are staying at the Anabella. I'm considering the ART shuttle to maingate also for the two other days we will be there.. does anyone know how much time I should allow for that ride? We had talked about dinner at Ralph Brennen's jazz kitchen Sunday night ( our first night there) but we are up for suggestions if anyone else has any good recommendations in the park for dinner. We plan on being in DL Sunday night or fireworks and will do WOC the next night in CA.

Thanks again! I'm so excited.. First trip for myself, husband and daughter :)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,225 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monorail from downtown disney

I think Ralph Brennan's is a great idea, it is one of my favorites at DTD and a restaurant that we'll drive up to Anaheim for (House of Blues & Napa Rose are the other two we'd make a trip to Anaheim for. We like Catal when we are there, but probably wouldn't go up just for it).

It is too bad you aren't getting there Sunday morning. The Gospel Brunch at the House of Blues is one of our favorite activities and we take a lot of out of town visitors there and every one has loved it so far.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,437 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monorail from downtown disney

The Art Shuttle usually runs about every 20 min or so, and it has to pick up at other Hotels, I would suggest factoring in about 20 to 30 min or so.

The Jazz Kitchen is supposed to be a good place to eat, so I think you are fine there. You would take the same directions as if you were walking to the Turnstiles from your Hotel that were mentioned above, then at the North entrance of the Grand California where you come out, you would walk West instead of east to get to your dinner.

It should take you about 15 min to walk to where you want to eat in Downtown Disney, as well as about that same amount of time to walk to the Turnstiles from the Anabella. You will be pretty close to the Monorail there, so you may as well see if its available to take into the Park. Its just a little farther West near to the Rainforest Cafe on the other side of the walkway.

It appears on the Disneyland.com calendar in early Feb, the World of Color show is taking a few days off during part of that time. So you may want to check the Disneyland.com calendar as it gets closer to your dates.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
46 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monorail from downtown disney

Awesome! Ya'll are the best, a thousand thanks for all the great information!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monorail from downtown disney

OK, first off, as mentioned, the Monorail can not be running at any time, especially of one breaks down on the track, and they need to get the "tractor" to pull it back to a station.

Also, Disney will close the Monorail during Fireworks shows for safety reasons. Usually about 1 hour prior to the show starting.

Also, Disney does restrict use of the Monorail to Disney-owned Hotel guests depending on the crowd levels. In the morning, the Downtown Disney station is usually restricted to those with Hotel Room Keys, and in the evening after the Fireworks, a Room Key from the Tomorrowland Station. But on a busy day with only one Train running, it might be restricted all day.

So it is something I would not plan on doing. Check it out, and if you are lucky, use it.

10. Re: Monorail from downtown disney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 01:16