We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney character warehouse - I wouldn't bother again

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
49 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Disney character warehouse - I wouldn't bother again

Took a bus out to orange fair this afternoon to check out the character warehouse, Skechers, Walmart and Target.

I was expecting the disney character warehouse to be a big store full of bargains but it was a half empty store with a lot of junk and some of the junk was not very cheap. I am guessing that they only really sell end of line or discontinued products as there was a lot of 2009 merchandise.

I also felt, as a first time visitor from New Zealand, it seemed to be a very long way from Disneyland and not that safe. I'm rethinking our transport to medieval times and knots and think it might be better to avoid public transport, especially at night

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,878 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney character warehouse - I wouldn't bother again

Sounds pretty much like the one in Las Vegas, not very impressive.

As far as Medieval Times and Knotts though, I dont remember anyone complaining that they were uncomfortable with the ride.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,653 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney character warehouse - I wouldn't bother again

I agree. I have never been very impressed with the Character Depot. A few months ago I noticed that there were items that were not even Disney. I was in the area so just stopped by looking for something that I did not find but I would not take the time to go there from the DL area. That area is far from DL and made even farther by taking a bus with lots of stops. I do not think that area is particularly dangerous but it is far from the tourist zone so you were coming into contact with locals in that area.

As for the public bus, in Southern CA it is a way mainly for people who do not have cars or drive to get around. I think the OCTA buses are basically safe. However, I can see not taking the bus after dark. If you are not comfortable then just take a cab or the ART http://www.rideart.org/ to Knott's and Medieval Times.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,753 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney character warehouse - I wouldn't bother again

Did you take the Metro 460 out to your Buena Park locations or go via the OCTA? I would think that the Metro 460 would tend to be used more by tourists and employees of the parks, so might be more of a nicer ride.

Edited: 11 January 2013, 21:16
SoCal
Level Contributor
5,653 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney character warehouse - I wouldn't bother again

Red they have not gone to Buena Park yet. They went up to Fullerton for shopping.

Calgary
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney character warehouse - I wouldn't bother again

I'm glad I'm not the only UNIMPRESSED with the warehouse.

thought it was a lot of 'junk' too, not worth the trip, and we drove the 10 minutes.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,335 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney character warehouse - I wouldn't bother again

I'm just curious. What was it about the trip to Fullerton that made you feel somewhat unsafe? Were there rowdies on the bus with you or was it the area of the mall? I google street viewed it and it looks kind of suburban strip mallish.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,753 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disney character warehouse - I wouldn't bother again

In post 3, I edited out a long passage about a personal experience of mine with the OCTA and how a bus driver helped me. I didn't want to bog down the thread with it. But, let me just say, it was my experience that there were no rowdies and if you are concerned at all about where you are going you should ask your bus driver for advice. I was stuck at the Buena Park train station as the sun was going down. He told me to get on and asked me where I was going, gave me advice, let me use his cell phone, gave me a free day pass, a free bus book (OCTA charges for bus books), and his phone number in case I ran into any problems. He was a driver on the Fullerton park and ride bus. We were at the Fullerton terminal for a while as he was completing his route while helping me.

I can understand not wanting wait around there after dark, because it seemed deserted except for a few people and not well lit. However, going to Knott's or Medival Times from Disneyland does NOT take you into Fullerton (unless you take the wrong bus). Just take the Metro 460, which travels park way on the freeway - that is all you need to do - and it goes straight into Buena Park from the freeway after heading out of the Disneyland area. When returning from Medieval Times to Disneyland, I would not recommend crossing the street to go to the bus stop, since it is a major highway. (I stayed overnight at the Radisson next door to it that night I missed the train, so I know what it is like.) Just walk down towards Knott's on the same side of the street and cross at the light on La Palma and get the nearest bus stop on the opposite side. That's about a half a block down. That area is very safe - it is an entertainment and hospitality area. I just would not recommend trying to cross the busy highway in the dark near MT.

P.S. I don't own a car and ride buses in the San Bernardino are all the time. I have been on buses with rowdies and normal people, business people, students, the elderly, etc. People sometimes own a car and decide to take the bus because of parking problems where they work, or they may be without a car for the day due to it being in the shop or loaned out to a family member. It's very random who will be riding a bus when you are.

Edited: 12 January 2013, 02:10
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,753 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disney character warehouse - I wouldn't bother again

In my first paragraph above, I meant to say that I asked the driver of a bus that came along what to do.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
49 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disney character warehouse - I wouldn't bother again

I think what made us feel a bit unsafe was that it was an unfamiliar area to us and it was getting dark. We probably should have gone earlier in the day.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disney character warehouse - I wouldn't bother again

I have caught the 460 from disneyland to medievil times ( buena park) 3 times over my last visits to disneyland. It was fine . I never was concerned about my safety , even coming back after the show. Just try not to look like a tourist I guess.

Only 1 time while staying near disneyland did I get worried

Have caught the local bus going to towards Newport beach. I got completely confused and felt "lost" even though I was following directions when I had to get off to change busses . I could not find where the new bus went from and I was 30 mins away from disneyland. I just found the return bus and went back !

No matter the information you have , you can easily feel uncertain in a new place

John