We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting close to locking in Itinerary

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
193 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Getting close to locking in Itinerary

Hi guys

So after lots of readings and changing of routes, I think i'm pretty close to locking in an Itinerary for when we are in the US. Just wanted to run it by people see if its doable and i'm not to crazy! We decided we didn't want to do a huge amount of driving, so we are just limiting it to when we are in the SF/ Monterey/Yosemite part of the trip.

10/23 - Fly in from Brisbane to LAX, cab to hotel @ Days Inn Hollywood

10/24 - LA: Sight See

10/25 - LA: Universal Studios

10/26 - LA: Disney Land

10/27 - Fly out LA morning to Las Vegas

10/28 - Las Vegas

10/29 - Las Vegas

10/30 - Las Vegas

10/31 - Flight out morning to San Francisco

11/1 - San Fran

11/2 - San Fran

11/3 - San Fran

11/4 - Pick up a car, day trip down coast to Monterey/Carmel area. Stay in area

11/5 - Drive monterey - Yosemite

11/6 - Yosemite

11/7 - Drive Yosemite to SF, Last flight out of SF to New York

11/8 - 11/14- New York

15 - Last Flight out of New York to LA

16 - Fly back to Aus

Pretty packed trip but this may be the only time we can see USA for quite a while so we are keen to take it all in. Plus we are on our honeymoon so we want to make it a memorable trip! Any feed back would be awesome,

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,332 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting close to locking in Itinerary

Not sure why you are posting this in the Anaheim forum and then say Disneyland is in LA in your route which is not the case One should post itineraries in the CA forum oh well That is the only day you need to be in Anaheim.

Other than that your southern ca itinerary seems rushed compared to the Vegas strip. You are doing a HUGE part of SoCal in 3 days compared to a couple or miles of Vegas in 3 days I think you need a few more days in LA or Disney at least 2 to see both parks

The best part of the Big Sur scenic drive is between Carmel and Cambria which you are missing. At least try and go the 30 miles to Big Sur Village and back to Carmel

Edited: 31 January 2013, 14:57
Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting close to locking in Itinerary

Rob, I know where you are coming from. I can't help you as I have the same problem trying to squeeze everything into a tight schedule, we are doing 25 days April/May but we are driving the Ca, Az, Nv part of our trip for 15-16 days and then flying to the East Coast and then driving again.

At least you have the sense to fly between cities.

I have been lurking here for a couple of months and have found a mine of advice, guess you have too.

Hope you weren't battered by the weather on the weekend - enjoy your trip and have a wonderful honeymoon.

Belomiser sorry if I am out of place posting this - your advice has been invaluable to me, can;'t thank you enough for your many posts.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting close to locking in Itinerary

Are you going to the Grand Canyon while in Las Vegas? If not, I would drop a day there and add a day to LA. You are probably going to be jet lagged. You have front loaded your trip with 3 very busy days in a row with trying to see LA in 1 day, day at Universal and DL. I don't know if it is possible but I would add a day to LA and go to LV first.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
29,088 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting close to locking in Itinerary

I would also drop a day in Las Vegas, or, are you planning on visiting the Grand Canyon South rim from there?

You may want to add a day to Disneyland. Usually a 2 or 3 day visit is suggested as there is plenty to keep you busy in both Parks for at least that amount of time. But its up to you how many days you may want to spend there.

How were you planning on getting to Disneyland from LA? Anaheim is a good 45 min drive South of LA.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,504 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting close to locking in Itinerary

Just my two cents

I would devote your trip to the west coast of the U.S. and postpone New York for another trip, when you might want to add on more of the east coast.

You are going to spend two entire days going back and forth to New York and you are apparently only planning on seeing New York City.

I suggest adding another day for Disneyland and California Adventure, plus another day to explore the local coastal communities. Then add another day at Yosemite and perhaps add on two days at Lake Tahoe.

You are young and on your honeymoon. There is a lot of time to return and see the U.S. in a more relaxed and thorough manner.

Nevada
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting close to locking in Itinerary

Hi Rob,

< Yes, it is a packed itinerary but I think it is do-able. >

ONE THING I THINK IS IMPORTANT

If I were you I would rent a car while in the LA and Anaheim areas unless you have a method of transportation figured out that will *QUICKLY* get you transported in the massive LA metropoliitan area. Taxi? Limo?

You are staying 4 nights at a hotel in Hollywood. DAY ONE you will sight see around LA. On DAY TWO you will visit Universal Studios, and on DAY THREE you will visit Disneyland.

Wow, that looks like a lot of ground to cover in the LA area using public transport. But maybe I am missing something that you had posted in your previous notes.

Perhaps the hotel in Hollywood where you are staying offers sight seeing tours and perhaps they also have a shuttle van to and from Disneyland. I hope so!

Oh -- and a note to a previous poster -- About New York, I believe Rob has 6 or 7 days/nights in *New York* which might not be limited to just the city of New York. It ccould also mean the state of New York, the surrounding areas, etc.

Anyhoo, Congratulations and have a wonderful honeymoon! Come back anytime!

Edited: 01 February 2013, 03:30
7. Re: Getting close to locking in Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2014, 05:16