We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is three days too many for Disneyland?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
554 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Is three days too many for Disneyland?

Hi,

I have booked 3 nights in Anaheim, but not sure if we need 3 to do the parks!!!!!!

My kids are 15 and 11 and we arrive from Australia June 13 and drive straight to our hotel. I thought we might spend some time that first day at the parks, but will probably be somewhat jet lagged and not want to be there for hours!!! We then have 2 full days after that to do them properly.....

If we don't require the last day, but are still staying in Anaheim how could we spend that day? A few options would be appreciated....

Many thanks!!!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,747 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is three days too many for Disneyland?

Keep in mind, you are comming at a busy time for Disneyland, you may need even a partial extra day to see the things you want to since its Summer break for alot of Schools during your visit.

A 3 day Parkhopper is a normal amount of time to visit Disneyland, there is plenty to do to keep you busy for at least that amount of time in both Parks.

But, you may not want to do much that first day, you may just want to spend some time at the pool, or walking through Downtown Disney which doesnt require a ticket. You could also go to a movie and just have a day of relaxing before getting started at Disneyland. You could also rent a car for the day, and drive the 30 min easy drive on surface street only to the Ocean, Huntington Beach has a nice Pier and you can watch the surfers there.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
554 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is three days too many for Disneyland?

Thanks for your reply..!!! I'm feeling better about our 3 days now. I didn't realise Huntington Beach was so close. I tossed up whether to stay there or San Diego after Anaheim!!! I went with San Diego, but would still love to visit Hintington Beach. Perhaps we could do that on the way to San Diego...!!!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,747 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is three days too many for Disneyland?

San Diego is a wonderful City to visit with lots to do.... Im sure you will enjoy your time there.

Huntington Beach really isnt on your way to San Diego, its a little bit of a detour, but if you are planning on taking the coastal road down to San Diego, you could stop at NewPort Beach, Crystal Cove, Laguna Beach, or La Jolla Cove, on your way to San Diego.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is three days too many for Disneyland?

3 days will be barely enough to just do the block buster rides once, with the use of fast passes , there is soooo much to do and see in the parks , don't forget you also get a magic morning with a 3 day hopper pass which will allow you into Disneyland an hour before the general admissions, ( this is a great time to do some rides without the huge queues ) there is also time to rest whilst you are watching the shows and parades ,

melbourne
Level Contributor
4,209 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is three days too many for Disneyland?

Well, this might give you an idea of whether 3 days is too much time.

In August 2012, we had 6 day Parkhoppers. We were at the parks for some of every one of these days. We did a Hollywood /LA tour one day, but spent the evening at the parks. Other days we did Disney morning and night, with a swim or a shop in the afternoon. We went over as soon as we arrived from our 14 hour flight, and had a brilliant, relaxing introduction to Disneyland. I think doing the parks on this first day was the only way we got through without sleep. The excitement of being there was what kept us going.

This year we have a 10 day pass, and hope to visit on every one of those 10 days. There are so many things we missed last time, and can't wait to do our favorites again.

Our boys are 9 and 12.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,553 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is three days too many for Disneyland?

3 days is my minimum, I'm doing 4 next trip. A friend recently did 3 days (including the day they arrived from Melbourne) with 3 teens & felt that they needed an extra day or 2.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
554 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is three days too many for Disneyland?

Thanks for your replies. - great to hear you got off the plane after a long flight and went straight to the parks because that's what we'll be doing!!! Sounds like we will enjoy 3 full on days then...:) Did you guys buy the 3 day hopper pass before you left? Or what did you do?

Edited: 12 March 2013, 10:12
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is three days too many for Disneyland?

sounds perfect...get to your hotel (depending what time you are arriving do you need to ask for early check-in???), get settled, maybe jump in the pool to refresh and then go to the park for a few hours. that will give you a good lay of the land so that you can make the most of your other 2 full days.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,747 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is three days too many for Disneyland?

Since you are also visiting San Diego, you may want to consider something like the Southern California City Pass which has a 3 day Disneyland Parkhopper ticket, 1 day Universal Studios ticket, and 1 day Sea World ticket for a good price. Usually, even if you can only use the 3 day Disneyland ticket, and 1 of the other attractions is still a good value. Its also nice because the Pass has a set price for the year, and its possible Disneyland may raise thier prices again this year in May as they did that last year.

Heres more info from the Mousesavers website which lists current discounts on attractions for you, and you can compare the multi-attraction passes to discounts for individual tickets to see what may work best for you.

mousesavers.com/discounts-and-deals-at-other…

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is three days too many for Disneyland?

Jet lag is, of course, very individual. Some people sleep well on planes, others don't, especially in economy class. If the pass costs the same to include the day you arrive, sure, why not include it, even if it's after a few hours of sleep (assuming your hotel lets you check ine arly, of course). I'm assuming you'll arrive in the morning and LAX, so it will take some time to get to Disneyland, anyway (whether by car,bus or shuttle).

For some people, 3 days would be too much, for others not enough. If the first day includes the day you arrive, and you (and your kids) are amusement park fans, your itinerary sounds good. If you get a hotel very close to the park, you could go when the park opens (some hotel guests get early entrance privileges). and leave in the afternoon for a while if you want, and then return. Good advice above about the crowds.