We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

minimizing wait times at Disney?

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
673 posts
190 reviews
Save Topic
minimizing wait times at Disney?

We'll be in the park on a Thursday in July. We only have 1 day.

Can somebody please explain FastPass to me?

Has anybody used RideMax? Is it worth the $14.95? How does it work?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: minimizing wait times at Disney?

FastPass is a free system where you take your ticket media and insert into a machine and get a return time for later in the day. When you return, you get to stand in a much shorter line. (There are two queues, a Stand By line, and a FastPass line)

Here is a detailed guide posted here as a Top Question.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29092-c3632/Anaheim:…

RideMax is a program that take historical information and crowd predictions for the day, and comes up with a plan based on when rides tend to have shorter lines, for example, Splash Mountain tends not to be popular in the early morning hours, as people save it for the heat in the middle of the day.

http://www.ridemax.com/howridemaxworks.php

NJ
Level Contributor
673 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: minimizing wait times at Disney?

Do they work together?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: minimizing wait times at Disney?

Yes, RideMax uses the FastPass as part of its strategy, so they work together as a package to get the least waits possible.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,536 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: minimizing wait times at Disney?

Do you know about Single Rider Pass?

NJ
Level Contributor
673 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: minimizing wait times at Disney?

No. Any info people could share would be most appreciated.

Neither DH nor I have been to Disney since the 1990s . . . so it's like it's all new to us. Last time I was at Disney I was with a Disney employee (a friend from college was interning). We got to use the employee lines which were almost non-existent. I know it won't be like that.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,536 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: minimizing wait times at Disney?

That's so exciting. I'm glad you are able to make it back. Many of us here still refer to it as Disneyland or Disneyland Resort even through there is another park now and even though the company has taken the Disneyland logo off of such things are shopping bags and drink cups. (They now say "Disney Parks. I was such a fan of Disneyland and Knott's all my life that I saved all my old plastic shopping bags from the parks!)

Single Rider Pass is available free for the asking on three rides in Disneyland Park and a few more in DCA. In DL they are Indiana Jones, Matterhorn, and Splash Mt. They allow you to bypas the lines and go directly to loading. But there may be a line at loading. (Matterhorn has a separate line for Single Riders, for example.) Radiator Springs Racers in DCA has a Single Rider Line and I understand that really helps, although there is a wait. The pass is for anyone who is willing to be placed anywhere there is an open single seat. You ask for the pass from a cast member outside the ride and they direct you where to go. More than one person in a party can ask for the passes, by they must be willing to ride separately if necessary. Children younger than 9 or 10 should not use Single Rider, in my opinion.

By the way, the Matterhorn Bobsleds now seat one person in each seat instead of two. The new design of bobsled was introduced last year.

Edited: 17 March 2013, 17:03
NJ
Level Contributor
673 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: minimizing wait times at Disney?

Cool. That is what I sort if assumed. Other than in the Haunted House, we're both OK to ride separately.

I think I still have a Disneyland anniversary sweatshirt which will probably be too hot to wear in So Cal in July but now that you have told me about the name change, I'll treasure it more.

I always like the intimacy of DL better than WDW.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,536 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: minimizing wait times at Disney?

Too scared to ride Haunted Mansion alone? Just kidding! The HM doesn't use Single Rider Pass anyway. Only a handful of rides actually do, so just keep in mind which ones before you get there.

I don't know if I gave the wrong impression. Disneyland's name didn't change, just the logo on the bags and cups so that what you see people carrying if they purchased a drink or merchandise says Disney Parks. The word park was added to Disneyland after the expansion into a resort, just to distinquish it from the entire resort, called Disneyland Resort. The name at the park entrance just says Disneyland. Locals usually referred to the entire resort as just Disneyland. I haven't run into anyone says they are going to "Disney", which is strangely common on these forums (and which, from what I have read, some locals do say too, but it sounds weird to others).

You will probably need your Disneyland sweatshirt at night in July, perhaps sometime around 9 p.m. It will come in handy to keep you cozy as it chills down. If you want to use a locker, they have (unfortunately) gone up in rental price to $7 for a small one. But they are easier to use now and you can open and close as many times as you like. (You can also put it on your credit card!)

Let us know if you are thinking of going to Knott's Berry Farm too, as there has been lots of changes there since the 1990's and we can prepare you for that.

Edited: 18 March 2013, 22:57
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
791 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: minimizing wait times at Disney?

So do you need a special ticket to access the Fast Pass? Or will any ticket type be able to use it? We will probably have a 3 day hopper pass......

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,437 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: minimizing wait times at Disney?

No special ticket to use a Fastpass. The use of the free Fastpass system is included within any Disneyland ticket. The use of the Fastpass option is activated for the day when you use your ticket at the Turnstiles upon first entry for the day. You can then use your regular Disneyland ticket at the ride Fastpass areas to get your Fastpass for a certain ride.

Edited: 19 March 2013, 00:23