We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney's Grand Californian vs renovated Disneyland Hotel

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Disney's Grand Californian vs renovated Disneyland Hotel

Hello! I'm planning a vacation for our family of 3 to Disneyland the first week of December (probably midweek).

I'm having a hard time deciding between Grand Californian and Disneyland Hotel.

When we go, our little guy will be almost 2 years so we'd like to be able to go back to the room to let him rest.

We definitely want a room with a view.

I'm also open to good neighbor hotels but just unsure of where to book. We want something really nice.

Also, any tips for Disneyland with a toddler are greatly appreciated :)

Oh and which airport is closest/easiest to come from?

Thank you!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,647 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney's Grand Californian vs renovated Disneyland Hotel

Welcome to the forums vheartsmr,

Both Hotels are very nice, the Grand Californian has more of a resort type of feel, while the Disneyland Hotel has larger rooms. So it just depends on what you may be looking for. Its really up to you what you may think of as being nicer.

Keep in mind that the Disneyland Hotel is about a 10 min walk to the Turnstiles that go into either Park, and has no shuttle service. Its about a 4 min walk to the Monorail Station that goes into Disneyland Park, but that is not always reliable and does not really have a set schedule.

The Grand Californian is located right next to California Adventure Park and has its own private entrance into that Park ( Disneyland Hotel guests can also use the private entrance to that Park, but that would still be about a 10 min walk) Depending on where you are staying at the Grand Californian if its at the far end of the property, can also be about a 7 min walk to the private entrance, and about a 9 min walk to the entrance to the Disneyland Hotel.

When you say "very nice" what kind of amenties are you expecting in a place to stay.

You can also look at something like the Sheraton Park Hotel .....which is a very nice Hotel, and is about a 15 min walk with Art Shuttle service to and from the Park. Most very nice Hotels are going to be about a 15 min walk at the closest to Disneyland besides the Disney owned Hotels.

There are many standard Motels and some more basic Hotels that are in somewhat of a closer walking distance that the Disney owned Hotels. Some are located directly across the street from the entrance and are the shortest walk.

So you can see where things are located. Here is a Map of Hotels in the Disneyland area so you can see where things are located. The Disneyland Main Entrance is off of Harbor Blvd near where it says "East Shuttle Area" on the Map.

printfreemaps.com/maps/freedisneylandareamap…

Edited: 12 June 2013, 01:15
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,391 posts
6,004 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney's Grand Californian vs renovated Disneyland Hotel

With a toddler if the price of Grand California fits your budget, i'd opt for that. The location is stellar; pools are nice; and its a place where you can easily exit the park for an afternoon nap and then return the same day (i.e. after the nap.). Its the best place to do that......and with it being in Downtown Disney places to eat.

Once the kid is over 5, I'd then start looking at neighbor hotels etc. we like the Residence Inn Marriott Main Gate a lot - great condo type rooms; 24 hour pool; included hot breakfast in morning; and barbecue area on site.

Edited: 12 June 2013, 02:46
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,647 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney's Grand Californian vs renovated Disneyland Hotel

SNA and Long Beach Airport are closest to Anaheim. They are both about 13 miles away. SNA is a little more convenient as far as shuttles go as they offer more transport options, but at the Long Beach Airport , a taxi is going to be about the same cost.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29092-s301/Anaheim:C…

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney's Grand Californian vs renovated Disneyland Hotel

Thank you! I think we'll splurge on GC.

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney's Grand Californian vs renovated Disneyland Hotel

Oh! Is it worth it to get a room upgrade with a view? Or even concierge level?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,671 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney's Grand Californian vs renovated Disneyland Hotel

I would opt for Concierge Level over a view. You are not in the room enough to enjoy the view and the Concierge Level can pay for itself if you use the "meals" to your fullest advantage.

John Wayne (SNA) is the best airport to fly into.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disney's Grand Californian vs renovated Disneyland Hotel

How much difference in price is a view room or a concierge room per night vs. a regular room? We had this discussion recently though and the concierge was so much more $ per night that it would not pay off in terms of freebies.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disney's Grand Californian vs renovated Disneyland Hotel

Monorail doesn't have a set schedule? It's not like a train. It's a ride. It runs all day long and the wait should be quite short unless there's a big line. We found it quite convenient when going into the park from the Disney Paradise Pier Hotel (wife had a conference there).

Colorado
Level Contributor
313 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disney's Grand Californian vs renovated Disneyland Hotel

I assume you will have a stroller ?

If so then the DLH is the choice. Rooms will be priced less and you are only looking about another 5-6 min walk

from the GCH to the DLH. We were just there 2 weeks ago and I struggled for months on where to stay but decided to go with a Deluxe View at the DLH over a Standard View at the GCH. I requested the Fantasy Tower and got a 5th floor pool view and we were in heaven. The Grand is beautiful but IMHO a bit 'stuffy'. The DLH had a more fun vibe.

Goofy was in the lobby as we checked in and the pools are better.

The Grand is so spread out that even though you are closer to the parks if you room is in certain location you could end up walk just as far as you do to the DLH. We ended up saving almost $200.00 over 3 nights staying in a room with a guaranteed pool view at the DLH over a standard room at the Grand. We enjoyed the DLH so much more than we expected and will now our hotel of choice.

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Disney's Grand Californian vs renovated Disneyland Hotel

Thank you CUBUFFS68! I was pricing GC and DLH and I'm thinking now to go the DLH route. We can get a concierge level room there and still save a little. And I really do love how the new rooms look.

I was liking GC because it seemed more luxurious and closer to the park.

We will have a stroller so I guess it wouldn't matter too much. I'm guessing with a 2 year old, DLH will more fun :)