We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disneyland Hotel Concierge Level Yay or Nay?

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Disneyland Hotel Concierge Level Yay or Nay?

After much debate over whether to book Grand Californian or Disneyland Hotel, we finally decided on DLH (at least for now).

Are the concierge level rooms worth the extra money? I want a luxurious stay, but still be fun (for our son) and it seems that DLH would be a better choice.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,933 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disneyland Hotel Concierge Level Yay or Nay?

Well I am not sure that the DLH hotel is more luxurious than the GC. The GC actually feels like a Disney Hotel and has the themeing of a Disney Hotel. The Walt Disney Company didn't build the DLH (or PPH for that matter) so it lacks a lot of the touches that go into a Disney property. TWDC has done the best they can with the DLH, but are limited in they could do.

I am not sure why you think your son would have more fun at the DLH, or less fun at the GC? At 2 he really will not notice nor will he really remember the event.

And I don't care where they would place you in the GC, the DLH is not going to be closer to Disneyland and really not closer to DCA.

But all that aside.... I still think the Club Level rooms are worth the extra cost.

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Disneyland Hotel Concierge Level Yay or Nay?

Thanks for your input.

Looking at the pictures and reading reviews of the newly renovated DLH, it does seem to have a more fun feel compared to the older, yet grander GC.

I honestly have to say how much I hate it when people say "oh your 2 year old wont remember or notice." Whether they remember or not is not important at this age. It's seeing his face light-up, hearing and seeing his laughter. I think people tend to underestimate young ones. My son may only be 17 months old right now, but he does remember things. Whether he'll remember when he's a older, his mind now does remember things like when we go to his favorite park and such.

So please don't tell me that for a 2 year it wouldn't matter. Seeing him enjoy the moment and us having a great family vacation away from our hectic lives is priceless. Don't underestimate little ones...they know more than what people give them credit for.

So again, thanks for your input. I've been researching and researching and just trying to learn and put together a wonderful first family vacation for us. While I may want a luxurious stay, if the new Disney touches at DLH are better (and more recognizable because my son loves Mickey Mouse) then I'm willing to go with DLH and a little farther walk (an extra 5-10 minutes from what I've read....good exercise anyway).

Colorado
Level Contributor
313 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disneyland Hotel Concierge Level Yay or Nay?

When will you be at the hotel VS the parks ?

Concierge Level will get you Continental breakfast, snacks you can take into the parks, appetizer at dinner and wine & beer. They also have bottled water, soda, juice boxes all that you can take to the parks as well, Concierge is in the Adventure Tower so I'd try and make sure you can get your room in that tower too,

The Adventure Tower has rooms facing either Downtown Disney which may get you fireworks views if high enough or pool view on the other side (don't get low rooms blocked by Tangaroa Terrace restaurant). The Concierge room faces the fireworks so I'd go for the pool view if you book concierge because Downtown Disney view rooms can be loud till 10:00 p.m. -11:00 p.m. because there's live music performed close by.

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Disneyland Hotel Concierge Level Yay or Nay?

Thank you CUBUFFS!

I'm thinking we'll do the Minnie and Friends character breakfast one day but the other mornings we would probably catch breakfast at the hotel.

At the least we'll head to the hotel for a midday nap for the little one after lunch then maybe again after dinner.

The soda, water, juice, snacks sound good especially with our little guy.

Colorado
Level Contributor
313 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disneyland Hotel Concierge Level Yay or Nay?

We did Minnie & Friends and had a great time. It was a little chaotic checking in but once at our table had a blast.

The food was fine. Typical breakfast stuff... nothing special but not bad. That day we saw Minnie, Chip, Dale, Fairy God Mother, Captain Hook, Max, Pooh, Tigger, Eyore and one other from the Lion King. Early morning entry is so important with a young one so I'd plan to make a reservation at 10:30 ish ... you can always grab something from concierge right before you take the 8-10 min stroll.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disneyland Hotel Concierge Level Yay or Nay?

probably not worth it but really nice to do. I do not think the rooms are any different. We did it on a recent trip to Disneyworld and just pigged out at breaksfast and had some nice beer and wine in the evening

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,933 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disneyland Hotel Concierge Level Yay or Nay?

Hey I've had two year olds and two year grandchildren I know how those little minds work and what they do and do not remember and from when. A two year old would be happier at a Motel 6 room full of stuffed animals than a room at the Ritz Carlton with no stuffed animals. A two year old would be happier at the Howard Johnson's Water Play Area than the pool at either of the Disney Deluxe Hotels.

How many of the people who stayed at the DLH (in the reviews) have stayed in both hotels (or all three)? I have and was at the GC last in October for the CHOC Walk and the DLH in December for the Candlelight Procession. The GC (built in 2001) was every bit as good as it has ever been, the DLH (I was in the Bonita Tower, built in 1978 and it is the newest tower) and the renovation was okay, they replaced the wallpaper and carpet, but it still is not as nice as the GC. I am not even overly impressed by the new pools and I miss the waterfall, beach, marina and dancing waters show more than I like the new pools.

The Grand Californian that was actually built by The Walt Disney Company is simply better than the Disneyland Hotel that was not built by The Walt Disney Company.

And I don't care how you slice it or dice it, the DLH is not closer to the Disneyland maingate and really not closer to Disney's California Adventure than the GC.

Make the decision you want, that is best for you and your family, but at least do it on the right information.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,360 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disneyland Hotel Concierge Level Yay or Nay?

I've stayed on concierge levels and only appreciated it when it was a free upgrade. Otherwise it wouldn't be worth it for me -- because I just don't drink enough. When I was attending out of town meetings frequently some of the people in our group insisted on the concierge level at hotels because the happy hour drinks were on the house. After a while the hotel just put us all there. I found those lounges full of some pretty obnoxious drunks sometimes. The continental breakfasts they serve are worth less than the cost of the upgrade if you are paying for it. You can get a full breakfast for less (at least outside the hotel). Concierge levels also offer more service for those who need pampering (book my towncar, get my shoes shined, etc.). The rooms are no better. So evaluate whether or not you would appreciate the "extras."

Honolulu, Hawaii
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Disneyland Hotel Concierge Level Yay or Nay?

I just got done with our first stay ever to Anaheim in DLH CA with Concierge this past weekend. I have a 2 and 4 yo. Initially, I was furious with the hotel as I requested a suite in the Adventure Tower where the concierge lounge is located. They put us at the Frontier Tower farthest from everything really. Then they said I never purchased park tickets through them however I did call in park tickets prior to the price hike. I was livid!! Worse service then the Clarion Inn I just stayed at. I called the hotel numerous times to ensure that I would have the room I wanted and the tickets. I really think that people who don't call to confirm have a better chance of getting a decent room because the Disney folks have a sick sense of humor. They did comp me a character breakfast at Storytellers.

As far as concierge. It was totally worth it for our group of 4 adults and a 2 and 4 yo. We took breakfast in the lounge at 6:30. Rented movies because the regular channels in the hotel only have teeny bopper stuff at night. Like Austin and Alley. We rented movies that we knew the kids could relate to with the park. Then we took the monorail in. Did Fantasyland and Mickeys Toon Town. Got fastpass for Autopia. Did Finding Memo. Grabbed a LIGHT lunch. Then Buzz Lightyear. Back to Autopia (I wouldn't recommend it though because the whole ride stinks of fumes and several cars got stuck!!) We took the monorail back the DLH. Stop by the lounge for snacks and drinks. (Not much out at lunch as most people are in the parks) DLH for nap time. We did take in hot appetizers at about 4pm and more water. There was pasta and egg rolls and chicken skewers and more drinks. (You have to ask for the bottled water but the cast members don't mind getting you 6 bottles at a time.) Back to the park for a walk around the "big kids" side...New Orleans area. Not too much we could do besides Winnie the Pooh. And a light dinner.

Take in mind my family are light eaters, DH included. We did not spend very much on food at Disney. We took in a very nice dinner at Naples in downtown and a nice breakfast (that was comped) at Storytellers at the GCH.

The GCH hotel did seem nice but the pool was totally boring. Unless there was a little kids pool I didn't see, the pool itself in front of Storytellers cafe is a deal breaker. My 2 yo LOVED the pool at the DLH hotel. He loved the water spout although there only one??!! The kids were fighting to sit on the one spout. Even if the Walt Disney Company didn't build the hotel, they certainly built the pool. Didn't they ever learn take you can't have just one of anything? Especially a water spout for toddlers to sit on!! Believe me, Walt and Co can also have seriously flawed designs. But again, the pool was a "find your balls" kinda thing for my boys. My 2 yo mastered the baby slide and my 4 yo mastered the red monorail slide. They couldn't get enough once they conquered their fears. So, not about memories but about learning and growing and experiencing new things. They also loved the headboard that lights up. The switch is located on the lamp.

As my kids grow older, I will more likely stay at a Staybridge for 2 reasons. Free hot breakfast (save $$) and the older kids who stay at the swanky Disney Hotels are brutal spoon fed, spoiled, ill mannered brats. It's good that I can't create memories for my 2 yo but rather learning experiences. I don't want him to remind me that we used to stay at the resorts. The DLH is good for that with younger kids.

Honolulu, Hawaii
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Disneyland Hotel Concierge Level Yay or Nay?

Also, you can do concierge for 1 night and have it removed BEFORE 1100 am the next day to avoid getting charged for the next night. Plan accordingly with your character breakfast.