We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Considering Disneyland for my 9 year old daughter and I....

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Considering Disneyland for my 9 year old daughter and I....

My son and husband are going away at the end of January on a 'boys' sports holiday, and I am considering taking my 8 year old daughter who loves princesses, especially Ariel to Disneyland for a few days....Here are my questions:

1) Any way to do Disneyland a little bit 'low key'...I get claustrophobic easily and so, not big on any indoor type of rides, (tunnels etc..) and I am also not big on crowds (hence, hoping end of January not too busy)...I am thinking Ariel's Grotto, a few dinners at some restaurants where princesses are hanging around...any recommendations???

2) Any ride recommendations that are outdoors, and no long line ups?

3) I am thinking a two day hopper pass??? what else would there be to do in Disneyland/Anaheim?

4) What is weather like end of January, any chance to go into any hotel pools?

5) If we do go end of January, I thought Howard Johnson as it has a great water park, but not sure it's warm enough??

Thank you!!!

4)

United States
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Considering Disneyland for my 9 year old daughter and I....

1) Any way to do Disneyland a little bit 'low key'...I get claustrophobic easily and so, not big on any indoor type of rides, (tunnels etc..) and I am also not big on crowds (hence, hoping end of January not too busy)...I am thinking Ariel's Grotto, a few dinners at some restaurants where princesses are hanging around...any recommendations???

There are nice counter service restaurants as well. Without princesses but with nice ambiance at night. Rancho del zocalo has heat lamps! You'll welcome that in jan.

2) Any ride recommendations that are outdoors, and no long line ups?

Look at Disneyland website. They have pix of rides. You might enjoy animation academy. Although inside its generally not packed.

3) I am thinking a two day hopper pass??? what else would there be to do in Disneyland/Anaheim? 2 days if you take it slow and don't do all rides should b ok as long as no big conventions at they time.

4) What is weather like end of January, any chance to go into any hotel pools? Pretty cold! Doubt it.

5) If we do go end of January, I thought Howard Johnson as it has a great water park, but not sure it's warm enough?? I'd just pick a hotel 2 girls would feel safe at alone walking at night. That's pretty far away. I'd try one closer. Maybe the Fairfield by Marriott.

Or red lion -while not close is a hotel rather than motel. Or the crowne plaza. I won on Priceline 3*. If u get a Priceline hotel I suggest 3 day dlr ticket as bus schedules can be unpredictable. For research on that see betterbidding.com

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Considering Disneyland for my 9 year old daughter and I....

OK, a few bits of warning, first off, try and avoid the January 23-26 weekend, as it is the largest convention on the West Coast, held across the street from the Disneyland Resort. (The NAMM Show)

The Convention rents outs many facilities on the Resort, and causes closures (some full day, some in the evening) in both parks, and in the Downtown Disney Restaurants, and uses convention space in all three Disney owned Hotels.

Near Disneyland, is Knott's Berry Farm (America's First Theme Park). It is great for kids, and a lot less costs than Disneyland.

www.knotts.com

As for Hotel Pools, almost all in the area are heated year-round, so using the pools, no worries. As for laying by the pool, some days are better than others, but usually mid-day not a worry, unless it is windy.

As for the Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel compared to the Fairfield, they are right next to each other, so not much of a difference in walking. IMHO, the Howard Johnson's Grounds are nicer, they have interior Hallways instead of exterior ones at the Fairfield, a much better water play area (HoJo's actually has two separate areas). HoJo's also has higher ratings here at TA.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,435 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Considering Disneyland for my 9 year old daughter and I....

You may have a few issues with crowds, later Jan is not usually a good time crowdwise to visit Disneyland as there are some larger events going on. What dates in Jan were you thinking of?

No matter what time of year it is, its not going to be quiet anymore at Disneyland really, theres just too many people visiting the Park, its pretty much an usual occurance now Imo.

Also, dont expect pool weather. Its possible, but not likely.

The Majority really of rides and attractions are indoors, and some of the ones that are not are going to actually have a tunnel of some sort to go through, even though it may be short. Depending on how much things bother you, that may be a real impediment to what you can do at Disneyland. And your daughter is likely to want to visit some rides ect that you may not want to, so Im not sure how you will handle that as well.

I would suggest you look at the Disneyland.com website at the rides and attractions, they have short videos of alot of the rides. And something such as Youtube where people have taken video of rides and attractions which will help you decide much better whether even a visit to Disneyland is something you might find enjoyable or not if you have too many restrictions.

That being said.... can you enjoy yourself at Disneyland with your restrictions.... I think yes, as there are alot of fun things to do that are outdoors mostly, and there is entertainment to see ect. But only you can decide if its right for you.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,191 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Considering Disneyland for my 9 year old daughter and I....

I'm pretty sure this is a list of the attractions that have no indoor features or sections: the Main Street vehicles, Astro Orbitor, Autopia, Monorail, Casey Jr. Circus Train, Disney Princess Fantasy Faire, Dumbo, King Arthur Carrousel, Mad Tea Party, Pixie Hollow, Storybook Land Canal Boats, Mark Twain Riverboat, Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island (but it has caves), Sailing Ship Columbia, Jungle Cruise, Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes, Gadget's Go Coaster, Heimlich's Chew Chew Train, Francis' Ladybug Boogie, Princess Dot Puddle Park, Flik's Flyers, Red Car Trolley, Luigi's Flying Tires, Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, Grizzly River Run (goes briefly through a cave), Redwood Creek Challenge Trail, Golden Zephyr, Jumpin' Jellyfish, King Triton's Carousel, Mickey's Fun Wheel and Silly Symphony Swings. By all means, don't go on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, because one part of it is a tunnel, with simulated railroad tracks below, and suddenly a headlight appears above and you think you will be run over by a train… but it's all a sick joke.

The weather at the end of January could be cold and rainy, or clear, sunny and cool. It's variable. Not really pool or water park weather though.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,537 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Considering Disneyland for my 9 year old daughter and I....

Well, I'll take the opposite view of most of the regular contributors on this Forum. Ordinarily, Disneyland is touted here as the 'be all and end all'. Surprisingly, posters who plan to bring 6 month olds or family members with broken limbs are met with great encouragement. From what you've indicated, you're not going to enjoy a visit to Disneyland with your daughter. Crowds are a way of life at DL. While you won't have hour-long waits, there will be delays and there will be crowds when you enter and exit the park; in fact, there could be waits at local restaurants; even when you check in and out of your hotel.

Anaheim is a RESORT AREA. It's full of visitors rushing here and there. January is winter in southern California and even though our temperatures are moderate compared to many other areas of the U.S., January is not 'swimming weather'. January low/high temps range from 48F to 71F (9-22C). Therefore, most day time temps will be in the 60s. January also has the second-highest amount of rain in Anaheim, an average of 2.86" / 7.26 cm.

It sounds to me that you're trying to 'keep up' with your husband by wowing your daughter as your husband plans to do with your son. It's not a competition! Besides, your daughter isn't keeping score -- you are. (Try to find something to do that both of you will enjoy).

United States
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Considering Disneyland for my 9 year old daughter and I....

Another idea is buy one day ticket to dlr & then you can see if its working. If so, you can upgrade your ticket before leaving the park for the next day or two.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Considering Disneyland for my 9 year old daughter and I....

A lot of Canadians visit Southern California during in the early part of the year.

Favorites are Palm Springs for the warmer weather, San Diego and the "Greater Los Angeles Area", aka the Southland, which is most of the rest of Southern California.

Pool weather when you leave a cold, snowy area is a lot different than a local, who finds a need to wear a sweatshirt when visitors are happy in T-Shirts.

That said, I wouldn't want in a swim in a pool that isn't heated in the SoCal winter. But as mentioned above, almost all Hotels/Motels do heat their pools in the area 12 months of the year. So do you want to swim or enjoy the Hot Tub/Jacuzzi? If so, no worries. Heck, I have been in Hot Tubs when it has been raining.... If you are more interested in laying by the pool in a lounge chair, well, then it really depends on the day, and how much you are willing to wear. Some days, you can get away with a bathing suit, some days you might want a bit more on...

Also many SoCal locations do offer an "Canadian" discount (aka Snowbird) early in the year....

Vancouver
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Considering Disneyland for my 9 year old daughter and I....

Thank you to everyone!!! This is very good information....my idea of a holiday is sun, sand, and the beach...it rains a LOT In Vancouver, and by January, I need some sunshine, so I am really wondering if Disneyland is the right place to go...maybe better as a family and my kids can go wherever they want...

My daughter loves a pool, and the water, and if she got to hang out with a princess here and there, she'd be in heaven...I think there is a Disney place in Hawaii ??? Any suggestions for an alternate holiday?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,435 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Considering Disneyland for my 9 year old daughter and I....

Jan is a hard time to find both a warm beach and sun in the U.S. Hawaii sounds like a better idea likely from what you have posted, but I dont know what weather is like in Jan in Hawaii. Or somewhere else more tropical.

washington, d.c.
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Considering Disneyland for my 9 year old daughter and I....

I can't speak to your specific questions about Disneyland, but I can offer my view on your questions related to a "low-key" trip to Disney, as I did this with my daughter when she was about 10 or 11. We went to Disney World, not Disneyland, but I think the issues are the same.

You can and should make this YOUR vacation with your daughter, following your own wants and needs.

I can't go on the roller coaster type rides like Thunder Mountain because I have a neck injury and can't be whipped around, and my daughter didn't want to do the loud attractions because she has a serious noise sensitivity. We still had a fabulous time doing the rides we were most comfortable with. She ventured a little outside of her comfort zone - twice! - by doing the Haunted Mansion, and in the process conquered a little fear that she had. But we mostly just played it nice and easy, and didn't worry or get caught up in the massive hordes of people rushing about to cram everything in.

If you keep the view of enjoying the time with your daughter and watching her enjoyment through your eyes as your paramount objective, you will have a lovely time. Don't let others tell you what you "must" do. I found a few guides especially helpful - I can't remember now what they were as this was a few years ago - but there are numerous websites and books that rate the various "comfort" factors - noise, darkness, nausea - of the different attractions/rides - and this was helpful. Since my daughter has a tendency to get anxious in situations where she does not know what to expect (or she did at the time), we talked about everything before hand. Then we just went with the flow.

This is a very different approach from what many folks use with visiting Disney, I think. But for us, this worked very well. We did not feel at all deprived even though we probably did less than a lot of people did (although we were there for enough days that we did a lot). And it was just a good experience.

Years ago, when my older daughter was 6, my former husband and I took her to Disney World also (both girls have only been once). For many folks, 6 is considered old for the first Disney experience, but it was just fine (and IMO, probably still a little young). Once we got past the over-stimulation factor, we had a lovely time doing what we wanted but not stressing about having to do anything in particular.

When you are at Disney, you will see many families with exhausted, hungry, and overstimulated little kids who would probably be just as happy splashing about in the hotel pool. Their parents mean well, but their idea of what it means to have fun and what their kids need sometimes gets confused.

Only you can decide if you and your daughter will enjoy this, and whether some of the alternatives folks are suggesting would better suit your needs. But you can do Disney in a lower key way. I would, however, take the excellent advice about when to go in terms of crowds, into consideration. There are also websites that give you lots of information about crowd predictions, etc., in addition to the excellent information offered on this forum.

Hefei98