We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disneyland in Anaheim or Disneyworld in Florida???

Upper Hunter, NSW
Level Contributor
29 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Disneyland in Anaheim or Disneyworld in Florida???

My family and I are planning a trip to the U.S next year. We were originally going to do a tour of LA, Las Vegas, San Fransisco, Anaheim & San Diego. A friend of mine suggested we do to Florida and go to Disneyworld, the Everglades and everything Orlando has to offer. I would love to go to New York so going to Florida means we could do that on our way home to Australia.

My question is, which is better Disneyland or Disneyworld, the East or West Coast travelling for about two weeks. Our kids will be 8 and 14 when we travel next year. Any suggestions would be really appreciated, thanks so much

Danette

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
San Diego
San Diego
California
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disneyland in Anaheim or Disneyworld in Florida???

I've been to both and while Disneyland holds a special place in my heart because m such a Walt fan I'd have to say do Disney world if you have the opportunity. Your family will love Orlando and your kids are at a great age to enjoy both the amazing universal parks as well.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disneyland in Anaheim or Disneyworld in Florida???

What do you want to do?

There are plenty of non-Disney Theme Parks in Southern California, more than what the Orlando area offers.

Also, Southern California has better weather on average (a lot less humid).

Nice beaches, National (and state and regional) parks and forests.

If you want to live "on-property" at the Parks Resort (Disney and/or Universal), Orlando is for you.

If you want to stay near the parks, but off-property, plus do a lot of non-Disney things, than the Anaheim area is for you.

Here is a link to a similar recent thread.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29092-i65-k663132…

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
The Orlando Hotel
The Orlando Hotel
943 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
The Anaheim Hotel
The Anaheim Hotel
105 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
29,598 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disneyland in Anaheim or Disneyworld in Florida???

It really depends on when you want to visit. Weather can be very interesting in Florida in some Months of the year, and you would not want to visit during those times, while Southern California does not usually have many issues with weather.

Really though, we cant decide this for you, both places have thier charms. I would do more research about the two to see what may interest you and your family most about the different areas.

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
SoCal
Level Contributor
5,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disneyland in Anaheim or Disneyworld in Florida???

If the goal of your trip is a resort experience and lots to do on site, WDW is better with 4 major parks, 2 water parks, lots of recreation activities and amazing resorts and hotels at all price points. Islands of Adventure at Universal is absolutely amazing. Gatorland and airboat rides are lots of fun. There is also Seaworld and Discovery Cove. Legoland, Busch Gardens, beaches and Kennedy Space Center near by.

Southern California has a more interesting variety of things to do and see and more scenic overall. However, Orlando has more to do theme park wise in a compact area.

One big issue is weather, when do you plan to go?

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,077 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disneyland in Anaheim or Disneyworld in Florida???

The question really is East Coast or West Coast for two weeks.

If all you want to do is theme parks and spend a few days in New York City, then do the East Coast and East Coast only.

If you'd like the trip to be more than just theme parks, if you'd like to see actual American cities and national parks (Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Bryce and/or Zion) with a few days at Disneyland, do the West Coast and West Coast only.

Don't try to spend time on both coasts in only 13 nights, you lose one full day just traveling.

Oh yes and WHEN is crucial. I would never, ever do FL from late May to early September, especially July & August.

Edited: 28 July 2013, 21:33
Mentioned in this post
Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disneyland in Anaheim or Disneyworld in Florida???

See i'm the oposite, May to September is the BEST time to go to Florida! :) I love the hot weather, smaller crowds and lower prices.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,077 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disneyland in Anaheim or Disneyworld in Florida???

October is the best month for WDW. There are no major school holidays, the humidity has dropped, the average rainfall is half that of September.

September is the deadliest month for hurricanes in FL and has the most number of storms, the largest number of major hurricanes and is the 4th rainiest month after June, July and August.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,535 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disneyland in Anaheim or Disneyworld in Florida???

Orlando/kissimee, Florida is a cultural wasteland. There is NOTHING to see or do there except theme parks, theme parks and did I mention theme parks? If your goal is THEME PARKS, Orlando/Kissimee is the way to go.

If you'd like to expose yourself and your kids to a selection of hundreds of cultural attractions -- big and small, then southern California is the way to go. So, is it FUN, FUN, FUN or is it, SOME fun plus SOME cultural enrichment?

Up to you!

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
California
California
United States
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disneyland in Anaheim or Disneyworld in Florida???

You will all have a great time regardless of where you choose. That said, having done both Disney World and Disneyland twice, and the coastal trip LA to San Francisco (also Vegas, Yosemite, Grand Canyon), I personally would lean towards Florida. From my own experience travelling with kids, I find they are not usually that interested in 'scenery' and picturesque drives - others may disagree here:) There is so much to do within striking distance of Disney World that you will all enjoy, including Kennedy Space Center and Universal Studios (love the new Harry Potter section). We spent 10 days at Disney World when our kids were just a bit younger than yours - that was not even enough time to do it all once we took out a couple of days for Kennedy, Universal, etc.

Can I also suggest that if you do NY, then do it first rather than on the way home - for the kids, Disney will be the highlight of the trip - they'll put up with/tolerate/enjoy some of the more adult things in NY knowing they will then head off to Florida for fun, fun, fun.

We just did our last trip to DWorld, Disneyland and up the west coast in Jan-Feb this year - contact me if you want any extra info.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Universal Studios Hollywood
Universal Studios...
31,015 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
SoCal
Level Contributor
5,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disneyland in Anaheim or Disneyworld in Florida???

There is a lot to do in the general Orlando area, not just theme parks. If you cover the same area as Southern CA you include Tampa and more and there is a lot beyond theme parks.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL