We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haunted Mansion

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Haunted Mansion

OK - I fully admit this question is somewhat pathetic coming from a 40+ year old - but just how scary is the Haunted Mansion?

I hate horror movies, monsters, zombies, skulls and other stuff like that, always have. For some reason I don't have an issue with ghosts though - go figure.

I know I could just not go on the ride but I reckon my hubby will want to and will NEVER let me live it down if I chicken out! Plus who wants to hang around waiting while he does it on his own.

Oh and we will be there mid Nov so it is likely to be the Christmas themed version.

Thanks for any comments - feel free to mock if you feel the need :)

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Haunted Mansion

Not a dumb question. When they first opened it they had to tone it down a tad. Scared the kids too much. Now.. I'd call it more a Casper ride than a Freddy Krueger. The kind of scary that you laugh at longer than you scream.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,418 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Haunted Mansion

It is not scary but a lot of fun.

You will be fine.

Enjoy the ride.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,506 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Haunted Mansion

It's more of a whimsical fun fright than hardcore horror movie.

If you do happen to see something that seems a little scary just close your eyes for a few seconds....

Let us know how you did!!

Dr. Z

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,957 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Haunted Mansion

>>>When they first opened it they had to tone it down a tad. Scared the kids too much<<<

Actually the ride is very much like the day it opened. The Haunted Mansion is one of the rides that seems to have more rumors and stories about it than most..

It isn't scary at all, nothing jumps out at you, there aren't any zombies (it is the Haunted Mansion, not Zombie Lair, just ghosts), Walt Disney isn't one of the singing busts, that is Thurl Ravenscroft, no one is actually buried in the graveyard and the hearse wasn't used for Brigham Young's funeral.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,878 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Haunted Mansion

Well it does really depend on who you talk to, I know some people who dont like it. I would suggest you take a look at something such as Youtube Video to see what you think, that way you will be prepared before you go.

But, If you are going at Christmastime, you are lucky Imo, the quirkey Christmas/ Halloween theme put on for that time period is very fun, and alot less of the scary feel, more funny than anything :)

LA
Level Contributor
10,039 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Haunted Mansion

It's one of the classic and best rides at Disney.

I find Pirates of the Caribbean more frightening. Especially after the ride got stuck for an hour. That song was ringing in my ears for days.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,155 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Haunted Mansion

Are there not YouTube videos?? I agree whimsical is how I would describe it. Also agree Pirates is scarier.. I didn't realize until I ride it with a 5y old. That part in the dark in the beginning before the drop? My goodness, she clung to me and cried the rest of the ride. : (

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,155 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Haunted Mansion

.... Ugh... sorry folks. Mobile app hiccups. Tried to correct grammar and double posted...

Edited: 03 August 2013, 18:38
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,957 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Haunted Mansion

Snow White is considered the scariest ride at Disneyland, at least for little kids and I have to admit that closing the ride at 1AM, that last walk through of the night would give me the willies sometimes even with the lights on.

Snow White used to be called "Snow White and her Adventures", but so many little kids got freaked by the witch and general spookiness the names was actually changed to "Snow White's Scary Adventures" later on so parents would be forewarned.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Haunted Mansion

Thanks everyone - sounds like it will be on the list then.

I definitely would not have guessed Snow White to be the scariest ride of all - we only have 2 days with no kids so will no doubt skip the kiddy rides.