We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camelot in or Carousel inn - and what else to do?

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
338 posts
296 reviews
Save Topic
Camelot in or Carousel inn - and what else to do?

Hi!

I'm looking at a non-disney, yet across the street from Disney to be my home base for Anaheim. What is best between Carousel Inn and Camelot inn? I want a pool, clean lodging and 2 beds. I'll be alone with my 2 daughters (7 and 16). And I won't have a car.

We have 4 full days in Anaheim. We go to Florida Disney and Universel once a year.

Should we do 3 days Disney and 1 day Knotts berry farm?

Or 2 days Disney, 1 day Knotts and something else?

What would be your suggestion for the 'something else'? We'll spend 6 days inLA and 3 days at an OC county beach. We have seen the body exhibit in Montreal, did Medieval times in Orlando and montreal and pirates dinner in Myrtle Beach. Wines country tour? Anaheim 'downtown' visit day? Wifes of OC filming sites tours? Aything is welcome!

Thank you!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,462 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camelot in or Carousel inn - and what else to do?

If you have one of the club level rooms or suites at the Carousel then you would likely be fine there. Those are the rooms that get the good reviews for the property. They also have a small pool area. Its about a 7 min walk

The Camelot Inn is a standard well rated Motel that is clean, but has a small pool area. Also about a 7 min walk to the Turnstiles that go into either Park.

Any specific reasons why you have chosen these two properties? just wondering what you are looking for, as you would likely have quite a few options.

We can likely help you better if you will give us your dates you will be in Anaheim as well as a budget per night for somewhere to stay as prices vary widely with the different seasons. And we may be able to help you arrange your trip so you are visiting Disneyland at a less busy time if possible for your dates.

Here is a Map of Hotels in the Disneyland area so you can see where they are located. The Disneyland Main entrance is off of Harbor Blvd near where it says "East Shuttle Area" on the Map. Most of those are going to be standard Motel closest to the entrance with a few Hotels in a litttle farther walking distance.

printfreemaps.com/maps/freedisneylandareamap…

How many days you want to spend at Disneyland is up to you really and what you may be interested in. There are quite a few things though that are different at Disneyland and said to be better or only at Disneyland and not at WDW. Its a good idea to take a look at the Disneyland.com website to see what you may be interested in doing to judge how many days you may want.

Usually a 2 or 3 day Parkhopper is suggested for a visit as the two Parks entrances are located directly across from each other so easy to hop back and forth in a day.

for example, the enchanted tiki room, Space Mountain, Pirates, and Splash Mt, It's a Small World, fantasmic, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Pirates of the Carribean, Great Moments with Mr Lincoln, Its Tough to be a bug, Disneyland Railroad, Golden Horseshoe, Fireworks Show, Mad Tea Party, Sorcerer'Workshop................ are all said to be better at Disneyland.

Here is a list of rides that would only be at Disneyland and not at Disneyworld.

Alice in Wonderland

Casey Jr. Circus Train

Critter Country

Davy Crocket Explorer Canoes

Gadget's Go Coaster

Grand Canyon Diorama

Indiana Jones Adventure(which is a ride at disneyland,and not a show)

Matterhorn Bobsleds

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

New Orleans Square

Pinocchio's Daring Journey

Primeval World

Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

Sailing Ship Columbia

Sleeping Beauty Walkthrough

Storybook Land Canal Boats

Tarzan's Treehouse

World of Color Show

Carsland

Edited: 16 September 2013, 23:17
Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
338 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camelot in or Carousel inn - and what else to do?

Hapoytrip : thank you for the detailed answer. I chose those 2 hotels are they seemed the closest to Disneyland. I amnot really partial to any of them. I'd like my package to be under 1700 $ which seems to have come up to less than 200 per night for 5 nights and 800 for a 3 day pass for 3. We are coming in Aug. 2014.

The ultra planner in me loves your list rides. When in WDW, i am one of those people with the ride list, planned activites, almost by the 10 min. Disneyland will be something quite different, and I can't wait to get i that detailed planning mood !

What I would need from a hotel is walking distance ( or very good shuttle), a pool, easy access to a grocery store and walking distance to restaurants, and kid friendly. I usually like the Best Western Plus category while on 'sightseeing holidays' in the US. I don't need fancy at all.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,462 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camelot in or Carousel inn - and what else to do?

August is a more expensive time for Disneyland area since its in the middle of Summer Break for alot of U.S. Schools. Hopefully you are avoiding a few dates such as D23 which is a Disney fan event that brings in larger crowds usually around the second weekend in Aug, but I dont see any dates out yet for 2014 its too far out. And you would want to avoid Labor Day Weekend for 2014 as thats also a Half Marathon that weekend. Aug 29th-Sept 1.

Still you may be able to get something around $130 without taxes of 18% add in Anaheim a night close to the entrance so your budget should be more than adequet. If you just want a standard well rated Motel, I might suggest something like the Anaheim Desert Inn... has a standard small Pool. Its about a 7 min walk and is a less expensive option usually if you book far enough in advance as they raise thier prices as it gets closer to a date. They are not showing availablility yet for next Aug as alot will not online. If you want to book this far in advance you may have to contact them directly. But thier standard price should be around $140 a nite with fees and taxes included.

If you want a Best Western, the Park Place Inn..... and Mini Suites is a very well rated clean standard Motel about a 5 min walk across the street so very close as its located right at the crosswalk that goes across the street and through the Disneyland Main Entrance. It would likely be around $150 or so per night with taxes and parking if you have some sort of AAA, but that would be for a king bed with a pull out sofa, the mini suite would be around $200 a nite for that time period.

The Best Western Anaheim Inn.... a standard well rated Motel....would also be an ok option its well rated and about a 7 min walk its likely to be around $150 a nite total.

If you wanted something a little nicer there is the Howard Johnsons ....which is a Hotel with interior corridors and a nice water play area with another nice pool area. They should be around $168 per night total with taxes with the 15% off Mousesavers discount which anyone can use with the promo code LKMS or by mentioning it hen calling direct. They are about an 11 min walk though, but do have an Art Shuttle service stop.

The Art Shuttle service goes from Disneyland to alot of area Hotels multiple times per day for a small fee per person. Its available within about a 2 mile radius around Disneyland, so you could stay farther away at nicer Hotels something like Doubletree Guest Suites, Homewood Suites or Embassy Suites ect which are father down Harbor Blvd and just take the shuttle in which runs about every 20 min or so. Its just really up to what you may want to do.

http://www.rideart.org/

Most places to stay are going to be in pretty close walking distance to standard places to eat which are listed on the map link. And there are some small convenience stores in some of the standard Motels. As far as a full service grocery store, those would not be in walking distance and are located father from Disneyland. The Art shuttle though can take you to the nearest Target store just South of Disneyland on Harbor and Chapman which has a grocery section along with an expaned fruit and vege section. A Full sized Grocery Store, Vons Supermarket would be a little further just down the street on Chapman.

Take a look at these, then if you want more suggestions there may be few more options.

4. Re: Camelot in or Carousel inn - and what else to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2014, 06:20