We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is downtown Disneyland a good place to place to shop and be

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
Level Contributor
478 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is downtown Disneyland a good place to place to shop and be

Hello,

We are staying in Anaheim next week. We are planning to maybe spend a good part of the day shopping at some of the places in Anaheim.

Would downtown Disneyland be a good place to shop and relax. Someone had told me that most of the shops are just Disney sovenir shops that are really over priced and generic. I don't know if this is true.

Is it a good place for some adults in their 20s to check out and look around and maybe buy some cool things.

I know this might be a subject answer.

Thanks,

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,456 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is downtown Disneyland a good place to place to shop and be

Some are Disney oriented, some are not. Downtown DIsney is fun to visit and shop at for a while. There are some good places to eat as well. And yes, it would depend on who you ask. You can also take the Art shuttle or a Car and go to the Outlets at Orange which is a large shopping area with lots of shops about 2 miles from Disneyland. Heres more info on Downtown Disney, and the Outlets at Orange so you can decide what you are most interested in.

https:/…

http://www.outletsatorange.com/

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,976 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is downtown Disneyland a good place to place to shop and be

Downtown Disney will take at most 2 hours to shop. The Outlets at Orange will be more of a full day place.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,285 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is downtown Disneyland a good place to place to shop and be

I would head to South Coast Plaza or Fashion Island for great, high end experiences and great settings or the Outlets at Orange and Main Place Santa Ana for more ordinary shopping.

Downtown Disney is more than souvenir shops, but not a lot of stores. It is fun though.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,537 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is downtown Disneyland a good place to place to shop and be

Downtown Disney is fun for a couple of hours, especially it the parks have closed early or you have arrived in Anaheim late afternoon or evening & aren't going to the parks the next day. Shopping wise it's convenient, but there's not a lot of variety.

I agree with the others, if you want to really shop there are much better options. I like Fashion Island, not sure how easy it is to get there without a car though.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,966 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is downtown Disneyland a good place to place to shop and be

South Coast Plaza is a real shopping experience.

Downtown Disney has street artists and a Disney vibe.

I don't know how to compare the two. With kids, Downtown Disney is very popular. I don't think locals go out of their way to shop there, it's part of the Disney experience.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,596 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is downtown Disneyland a good place to place to shop and be

Do you now have more than a day and a half in Anaheim?

Your other thread sounded like you have one day in Disneyland and leave at 4:30 or so the next day and may use that half day for the park(s).

Edited: 20 September 2013, 05:46
Level Contributor
35,002 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is downtown Disneyland a good place to place to shop and be

We enjoyed a few hours at Downtown Disney before our full day in Disneyland. Catal's, ESPN Zone and Rainforest Cafe are all great places for a meal here. Have fun! :)

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is downtown Disneyland a good place to place to shop and be

They are not just Disney shops but the shopping is skewed towards Disney and children. Here are the shops: https:/…

Calgary
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is downtown Disneyland a good place to place to shop and be

short answer is NO, it is not a good place for shopping. Saying it would take 2 hours is even a stretch IMO, virtually everything is Disney or family oriented. Anaheim Gardenwalk is a place you might be able to get 2 hours out of ( if you have lunch for an hour), otherwise check out the other recommended places ( outlets at orange, Fashion Island, South Coast Plaza )

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,596 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is downtown Disneyland a good place to place to shop and be

I don't think you gave enough information to get the right advice.

I'll go ahead and give my opinion based on what you said in your other thread(s). It would seem that you have one day at Disneyland Park with the possibility of deciding to go for a park hopper. That would be soon, Sept. 28, a Saturday. I read in another thread that you had originally thought of Universal for that day and DL for Friday. So, I assume it is possible that you may be going to Universal on Friday? Then on Sunday you get picked up by a shuttle around 4:30 in the afternoon (to go to the airport?).

You mentioned in your other thread that you thought you might go to Downtown Disney Sunday or possibly go visit one of the parks again. You also said you want as much time in Disneyland as possible. Because of this, it is my opinion that Downtown Disney would be fine to explore in the morning for an hour or so before going into one of the parks and you should completely forget any serious shopping (if that is what you were asking about) and do not bother going looking for malls, outlets, stores. You don't have enough time for things that you can do at home.

Edited: 21 September 2013, 19:50