We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Knotts, Soak City or san Diego zoo?

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
338 posts
278 reviews
Save Topic
Knotts, Soak City or san Diego zoo?

Hello again!

Still planning our Aug. Trip. We have a free day in our Anaheim schedule. The rest will be at Disney.

I had initially planned to go to Knotts. Now, i see that my youngest will be too small for the big rides. Later on in the trip, we'll do LA and Universal, so the teen would get good big rides there (she doesn't reallu love them either as she has motion sickness).

Would Soak city be a fun day and a good break from Disney? The girls will be 7 and 16. And while we have a few 'beach day' we don't have other water activities.

Another alternative is to do a day tour at the san diego zoo. Hubby and I will do San Diego next year, but our daughters won't be there. Would that be better?

Thank you!

Isabelle

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,121 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Knotts, Soak City or san Diego zoo?

The 2 activities are sooo different that it is hard to tell you which is "better". The zoo is not a theme park with rides. It is a place to see animals and perhaps to interact with them on a tour. IF you are a "theme park" family this may not interest you!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,539 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Knotts, Soak City or san Diego zoo?

I dont know if there is a "better" in this case, just what you may want to do, and only you can know what your family may like most. Both would likely be fun, but in different ways. I would suggest looking over the places you may want to visit with your family and see what may interest them most. But I might leave out Knotts if your daughter does not really like the more extreme rides and stick with the Water Park instead.

Edited: 20 September 2013, 18:53
San Diego...
Level Contributor
9,950 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Knotts, Soak City or san Diego zoo?

Maybe ask them what they want. August can be hot and muggy in southern California, so the water park idea is very appealing.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Knotts, Soak City or san Diego zoo?

How about the San Diego Zoo Safari Park? Are there are limits? If I had a small child, I'd consider the regular SD zoo and perhaps Leggoland.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,922 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Knotts, Soak City or san Diego zoo?

I'd go with Soak City and at the end of the day, change into street clothes (they have locker rooms at Soak City) and go to dinner at Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner.

The other alternative would be a day at the beach, maybe Little Corona del Mar with its tidepools.

californiathroughmylens.com/2011/…

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
338 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Knotts, Soak City or san Diego zoo?

Scott075 : what a cool idea!! I love it!!

Sunrise: i've asked the teen(as she now travels less with us - i.e. She spent her summer alone in the Rockies with her school and was then off being a nanny in France for 5 weeks with friends of mine)... And her choice?? Catalina Island. Wasmthis an initial option? Of course not. ;-). I miight now repost... Is Catalina island worth it if we are spending 3 days in Huntington beach? If so, how do I get there from Anaheim!!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,922 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Knotts, Soak City or san Diego zoo?

Catalina is okay as a day trip and there is a boat out of Newport Beach.

http://www.catalinainfo.com/

Is it better than any other activity? Enh.... it is just different. The ferry ride over might be fun.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
17,821 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Knotts, Soak City or san Diego zoo?

To answer your original post:

Check the Knott's website again. Knott's Berry Farm's theme park has rides and shows for all ages and plenty to make a seven year old happy. I have seen kids younger than 7 having a ball at Knott's.

Additionally, in the summer there is a professional ice show every day except Wednesdays, three times a day, included with park admission in a large air-conditioned theater. This summer a new version began, Snoopy Unleashed. Besides Snoopy, it features world class figure skaters, aerialists, and is introduced by a drumline. Lots of rockin' music to please both a 16 yr. old and a 7 yr old.

This year also has a western themed cirque type show on the main outdoor stage. They may be back next summer, but I won't know for sure until then. On days they had off, there was a Beatles tribute band, Britian's Finest, playing on that stage. I was there then. There were people of all ages, from four or five to 70 (guessing), enjoying. In fact, the little kids were really dancing around. This band plays at Knott's every summer.

There are couple of other musical acts during summer nights, including a bluegrass group that kids just love.

There is a good show in Calico Saloon, including can-can dancing. A funny western stunt show in the Wagon Camp, which has seating in a "splash zone". Native American dancers. A fun cowboy show in the streets of Calico Ghost Town. A show featuring the Peanuts Characters in Camp Snoopy. And a new "show" in the street of Calico where the Sheriff makes several kids his deputies. I caught this as I was walking by and thought it was so cute. The deputies wven got to keep their hats and badges.

Here some things your 7 year old may like, along with the rest of your family: Log Ride, Mine Train Ride, Calico and Rio Grande steam locomotive train ride, stagecoach ride, Mystery Lodge (technically a show, but very much like a themed attraction), Big Foot Rapids, Sky Tower (really just an indoor elevator with lookout windows), Coast Rider, Camp Snoopy Ferris Wheel, possibly the Jaguar coaster. There is also a creek in Camp Snoopy with pontoons bridges, aka barrels bridges, that lead to an open ended cave and waterfalls. Fun place to play for a bit.

I do like the idea of taking them to tne SD Zoo, except I have been there in August and it can get very hot with all the walking you must do. Plus it is very crowded. Some of the animals are not as active on a hot day.

Edited: 20 September 2013, 23:27
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
17,821 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Knotts, Soak City or san Diego zoo?

In my opinion, Catalina would make an okay day for your 16 year old, but your 7 year old would be bored. As mentioned, the boat ride might be fun. A harbor cruise from the Balboa Fun Zone area would be just as fun, I think, and the area would interest the 7 year old a bit more. Also available there is the auto ferry across the bay, which young kids usually like.

I'm a fan of Knott's Berry Farm, so I am rooting for that! But, hey, "How you gonna keep 'em down on the farm after they've seen Pari'?"

10. Re: Knotts, Soak City or san Diego zoo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2014, 05:19