We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daughter turning 7 while in Anaheim - special restaurants ?

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
338 posts
278 reviews
Save Topic
Daughter turning 7 while in Anaheim - special restaurants ?

Hello again,

My daughter will turn 7 while we are in Anaheim. I am wondering if you are aware of a spécial restaurant where her birthday could be celebrated? Of course, Ariel's Grotto at Disneyland seems a logical choice, but if its anything like in Florida, they don't really celebrate birthdays anymore (its sometimes a yes, sometimes a no) as so many people were faking it.

Two summer ago, we did a fancy high noon tea at a very chic hotel. We had booked hair appointments, got pedicures, got dressed up and then went out. She loved it and still talks aboit it. Any suggestions for something like that or at least a fancy restaurants where kids are welcomed and where they are known to really do something special for birthdays? Price doesn't really matter.

Could be in Disney as well - or not.

Thank you!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,533 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daughter turning 7 while in Anaheim - special restaurants ?

I believe you can still get something special at Disneyland for Birthdays, you can look through the info of what may be offered to see what you think.

https:/…

Theres also the Bibbity Bobbity Botiuque which might be fun

I remember someone mentioning in a post in the LA forum about a fun place for a Tea Party at a Tea Room of some kind with their daughter, but I cant find that thread. You may want to ask that question in the LA forum as well.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,105 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daughter turning 7 while in Anaheim - special restaurants ?

Are you planning to be in LA at all or just in Anaheim for Disney??

I ask because there's an American Girl Place in LA that might be fun:

www.americangirl.com/stores/location_la.php

They have teas/b-day celebrations and of course dolls and doll clothing for sale1

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
17,816 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daughter turning 7 while in Anaheim - special restaurants ?

Inside Disney California Adventure, there is a fancy restaurant called Cathay Circle. This is the newest restaurant as well as has some historic themes that tie in with Walt Disney. You could consider making a reservation there.

Inside Disneyland Park, there is the Blue Bayou inside the Pirates of the Caribbean and the Cafe Orleans outdoors with a river view, both with table service. The Blue Bayou probably feels more special to a young lady than to adults who have had more experience with dining out. It is dimly light and the lighting fixtures are designed to look like Chinese Laterns. This restaurant can be seen from the Pirates ride, as your boat leaves the dock and floats through the bayou.

The Cathay Circle serves alcohol and the other two I mentioned don't. Just thought I would let you know in case your like wine or beer with your meals.

All of these need prior reservations, which the Blue Bayou needing them pretty far in advance - and request a waterside table. Saying it is for a chiild's bjrthday may help.

There are birthday buttons available at the parks' information areas and at the ticket booths. When you arrive, ask for one for her. The cast member will write her name on it. When she is served or greated at a Disneyland Resort Restaurant, they will see her birthday button and wish her happy birthday. Cast members in the parks will as well and often guests will too.

You could consider the Bibbi Bobbity Boutique and one of these restaurants. I read that the dresses can be purchased cheaper than at Disneyland, if you want to do that in advance.

Disneyland has the Mickey birthday party character meal at a separate price. She would not be the only one celebrating a birthday at the party, though.

Edited: 20 September 2013, 21:26
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
17,816 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Daughter turning 7 while in Anaheim - special restaurants ?

I'm sorry, I didn't realize the Mickey's birthday party was discontinued in March of this year. I just now read that.

Since the Blue Bayou is unique to Disneyland and you have been to WDW, and young girls are intriqued with the restaurant they see on the Pirates ride, I would highly recommend choosing that.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,911 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Daughter turning 7 while in Anaheim - special restaurants ?

I would go to Napa Rose at the Grand Californian and maybe do a spa treatment there.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
324 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Daughter turning 7 while in Anaheim - special restaurants ?

What great suggestions! And what a nice family thing to do. Love every idea and don't know which one I'd choose - hope your little girl has a very Special Birthday.

We're still scratching our heads on how to entertain an autistic 12 year old boy. He hates food in general, too scared of Rainforest Café, scared of Pooh Bear and every other life size Disney character, yet he LOVES Disneyland with a passion. We would love anyone's opinion on what we can do to make it special too. I don't want to hijack the OP thread, so if anyone has ideas, please message me direct, thanks.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
17,816 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Daughter turning 7 while in Anaheim - special restaurants ?

Aussiedisney,

Rainforest Cafe scares me too! I have not eaten there. The closest I got was the front and peaking in after seeing video. Too much going on for me in there. Makes me nervous.

I also was scared of any of the large costumed character. Didn't mind them walking by, but didn't want to be close to them. I liked Peter Pan and have clear memories of seeing him at the Jolly Roger/Starkist Tuna restaurant when sitting near Skull Rock. Obviously, a long time ago!

Maybe take him on the Walk in Walt's Footsteps Tour?

Just noticed that you said to message you with ideas. Respond to me in a PM if you want.

Edited: 20 September 2013, 23:52
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,912 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Daughter turning 7 while in Anaheim - special restaurants ?

With that birthday button, the whole park will seem like one big birthday party to a 7 year old. There are more "parties" to attend than anywhere else (except another Magic Kingdom):

She can be a princess in the morning and a pirate in the afternoon:

I'd definitely try and work in a meal at the Napa Rose...

Level Contributor
34,226 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Daughter turning 7 while in Anaheim - special restaurants ?

Blue Bayou sounds like it would be very nice for your daughter's birthday celebration. Call ahead and make reservations well in advance on DINE DISNEY. We love Napa Rose but it is geared more towards adults. Have a great time in Disneyland! :)

10. Re: Daughter turning 7 while in Anaheim - special restaurants ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2014, 05:19