We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qtns on Disney California Adventure fast passes

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Qtns on Disney California Adventure fast passes

Hi

have decided to go to DCA after all! will be visiting on 5 Dec this year which is a Thursday.. hopefully it won't be crowded!

qtns : think it is still better to get fast passes for both world of colour and radiator springs racers.. would like some advices on which one to get first the minute we enter the park.. cause not sure which one is more popular and would run out faster...

also, understand that world of colour fp machine is located at the grizzly river run. is it a standalone machine and are the machines labelled such that we know which machine is for which ride? and i think there is fast pass for grizzly river run too.. if yes, should we also get fast passes for grizzly river run when we are getting world of colour fp?

thks

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Qtns on Disney California Adventure fast passes

OK, first off, get in line for the Radiator Springs Racers FastPasses.

Then head to Grizzly River Run to get the World of Color FastPasses, which is clearly marked with staff (CM's) helping direct you to the correct machines.

Since both attractions are "standalone" attractions, you could go get a third FP right away, maybe Soarin'. So one person can do that, while the rest of the group can hang out in the Carthay Circle area until they return with all the FP's.

Grizzly River Run on a Thursday in December will more than likely not be popular due to the fact it is a water ride.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,506 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Qtns on Disney California Adventure fast passes

Keep in mind for the Radiator Springs Racer Fastpass, they open Part of the Park 30 min before regular Park opening time, and there is usually a line then outside the Park to get in. So you would want to be in that line ahead of that time. Its easy usually to see the line for the Radiator Springs Racer Fastpass area as its usually the longer line to the left forming pretty close to where you enter. Radiator Springs Racer Fastpass area is located near the entrance to Its Tough to be a Bug attraction.

The World of Color Fastpass area will likely still have Fastpasses available till at least 12pm or after till they are gone for your date since thats not likely to be a busy day. But the best areas for Fastpasses are dispensed first. The Grizzley River Run Fastpass area serves as the Fastpass for the World of Color until those Fastpasses are gone.

Hours on a Thursday in early May should be shortened likely 10am till 8pm, but with 1 nightly World of Color show and there would be a nightly Fireworks show since Christmastime has started at Disneyland. Keep in mind because of the shortened hours, its very likely that the World of Color show will be something like 8:15 pm which is after the Park closes. Keep in mind, that you must be inside California Adventure Park BEFORE closing time in order to see the show whether you have a Fastpass or not, they dont allow anyone in after Park closing time.

Edited: 22 September 2013, 17:47
tucson, az
Level Contributor
3,794 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Qtns on Disney California Adventure fast passes

>>Hours on a Thursday in early -->May<-- should be shortened likely 10am till 8pm, but with 1 nightly World of Color show and there would be a nightly Fireworks show since Christmastime has started at Disneyland.<<

Err, when do you celebrate Christmas?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,506 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Qtns on Disney California Adventure fast passes

Sorry octopusmum, An obvious error on My part, as we were talking about "May" in another thread. But Hours for a weekday in early Dec would be what I posted.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Qtns on Disney California Adventure fast passes

Hi all

thks for the advices and happytotrip, no worries! i know it is a typo...

They r v useful infor! esp the one on being inside DCA before park closing time to watch World of colours...

We will be getting the Southern California city pass with admission to 4 theme parks. That includes 3 day park hopper to DL and DCA. It will also include a Magic Morning.

We will leave Hollywood at around 4.30pm after touring the walk of fame etc on 3 dec (Tues) . hope that we won’t be stuck in any traffic and will be at Anaheim by 5.30pm. have booked Ramada maingate at the park which is just across from DL.

Plan to visit DCA on 4 Dec (Wed) and DL on 5 Dec (Thurs) in order to take advantage of the magic morning. Unfortunately, we do not have 3 full days to enjoy both parks.

Will there be any Fantasmic show during that period of the year? Also we would like to take the Radiator Springs racer at night too.

How should we maximise our time on the first day we arrive at Anaheim? Based on Dec 12 park hours posted at allthingsmouse, DL was opened from 9am to 9pm and DCA operated from 9am to 8pm in the first week of Dec 2012. So, I should have about 2 hrs at DCA or 3 hrs at DL. Should I go to DCA to take the Radiator Springs racer ride at night on 3 Dec? since fast passes won’t be available by then, I assume I have to queue for it? What is the queuing time like for the night race? I guess by the time we reach Anaheim, it may be dark already and hence, we should be able to see the lighted up tracks in car land.

After that, should we go see the fireworks at DL? So that we can see the Fantasmic (if it is on) on Thurs night… I am not sure what is the sequence like… do they happen one after another ? same for the parades.. do they time it such that we can see parades, then fireworks, followed by Fantasmic?

Don’t seem to have much time on 3 dec night since we still have to set aside some time for dinner… but if we do have time , what other rides should we go for ?

Also,for the magic morning, I understand not all rides will be opened. Should we go get the fast passes for rides like Indiana jones first before going for the rides that r opened? How do we make full use of magic mornings?

thks much

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,506 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Qtns on Disney California Adventure fast passes

4:30 pm will be too close I think to miss the rush hour traffic unfortunately, and you likely take you more like 90 min to 2 hours depending on what traffic is like. So you may want to factor that into your plans. I would leave about an hour earlier if you want to miss traffic.

Theres always a nightly Fireworks show at 9:30 pm during the Christmastime season at Disneyland. Sorry though, Fantasmic is usually offered only on weekends in early Dec. Fri,Sat,Sun. There would likely be one parade offered on weekdays and that would be alot earlier at Disneyland Park and California Adventure Park around 5pm or so. If the Park closes at 8pm, Fireworks are likely to be 15 min before closing time for you dates as the show takes 15 min. If they close at 9pm then Fireworks would likely be 15 min before that time.

I would not suggest trying to go on the Radiator Springs racer ride at night. Your right, there wont be any Fastpasses and you will take up most of your time likely in line. You can go to that area first just to check on the line length or look at the wait board for wait times when you come into that park, as you might get lucky, but other than that, I would plan on that on another day. But you can still explore Carsland, its amazing at night.

Magic Morning allows you into select areas of Disneyland Park 1 hour before regular Park opening time. Fastpasses are not available during that time.

Your stratagy depends on what you may be most interested in riding. Rides with Fastpasses have the longer wait time later usually. So rides like Space Mountain, Star Tours, Matterhorn all have longer wait times. So if you are interested in riding those, you may want to do those first. If you are interested in some of the Fantasyland rides, Peter Pans Flight and Dumbo usually command larger wait times later, so its a good idea to do that during that time.

If you are interested in Indiana Jones ride, you should either be in that area right when regular Park opening is, or pick up a Fastpass during that time as it also have a longer line later.

Heres more info on the Free Fastpass system at Disneyland and how to best use it which is helpful

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29092-c3632/Anaheim:…

And heres the list of rides that are usually open for Magic Morning in Tomorrowland and Fantasyland.

Alice in Wonderland

Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters

Dumbo the Flying Elephant

Fantasy Faire

Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage

King Arthur Carrousel

Mad Tea Party

Matterhorn Bobsleds

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

Monorail

Peter Pan's Flight

Pinocchio's Daring Journey

Snow White's Scary Adventures

Space Mountain

Star Tours

Since you may have so little time on that Tues at Disneyland, I might suggest either leaving a little earlier from LA, or visiting instead perhaps on that Friday morning if possible which would have less lines as that first few hours after opening are the least busy time at Disneyland. And I think there are too many variable with trying to visit on that first nite since you may get caught in traffic, you need to eat, and check into your Hotel, and its very possible that Disneyland may close at 8pm rather than 9.

Edited: 24 September 2013, 17:41
Bermagui, Australia
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Qtns on Disney California Adventure fast passes

The line for radiator springs this morning was huge it went all the way down Hollywood. The wait time for the ride was 70 mins 15 mins after the park opened it was crazy! The fast pass line was empty by 11am and there were some for after 5pm left, that's when we got ours after riding toy story.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Qtns on Disney California Adventure fast passes

thks for sharing your experience!

qtn about getting fastpasses for radiator springs...

i read that we can't get fastpasses for the same ride twice in a day. is that right? if that is the case, then does it mean that we have to take the radiator springs racer ride morning and night ride on separate days if we want to go for fast pass? however, how do we get fast passes for the night ride ?

and thanks , happy to trip for such an impt piece of infor re the traffic in LA! i had thought that 4.30pm is quite safe...gosh, what time do pple knock off at LA?? anyway, i had done some shuffling to shift some of the items here and there so that i can leave LA by 3.30pm... right after i landed at LA at around 11.50am on a Tuesday, we will go straight to San Diego , Coronado Island. hopefully , we can clear the customs, collect our car and leave the airport by 2pm. we may reach San diego by 4.30pm if everything goes smoothly... the original plan was to see the SD skyline from Centennial park during the day, but now it looks like we can only see it at dusk..

will traffic from LA to SD on a tuesday afternoon at around 2pm be very bad too? i know it is hard to foresee but would like to have a sense....

btw, the suggestion to go to DL/DCA on friday morning is good but sadly, we simply can't afford the time because the plan is to go to Desert Hills for some shopping that day and outlet shopping is going to take up one whole day...

thks much

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Qtns on Disney California Adventure fast passes

oh, forgot to clarify on the availability of fastpasses during the magic mornings..

when you said fastpasses r not available, does it mean all the fastpasses machines won't be in operation? ie they will only be switched on after the park opens? i thought i read somewhere that the strategy is to get fast passes first for the popular rides during that extra hour before park opens....

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,506 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Qtns on Disney California Adventure fast passes

octopusmum,

Im not sure where you read that you cant get a Fastpass for the same ride more than once in a day? You could just get a Fastpass for 1 ride all day long, but you have to wait until the first Fastpass has expired before getting another one. The Fastpass lets you know on it when another Fastpass will be available to you. Heres a good article that explains the Fastpass system and how to use it.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29092-c3632/Anaheim:…

As far as the Radiator Springs Racer ride goes, those Fastpasses are usually all gone within about the first hour they are dispensed when the Park opens. Fastpasses for various times are given out till the number of Fastpasses they have alloted for the ride for the day are gone. I dont know if you were in line early if you could request a Fastpass for an evening return time or not, but its doubtful Imo. They usually are just dispensed, and you get what you get.

Traffic should be ok at 2pm going that direction, and by the time you are close to San Diego, the traffic will likely be getting heavier around then. Plus, alot of people are going the other direction to get home vs you comming into the City, I think you should be ok. But you may want to check on the San Diego forum to see what they think. There may be variables that Im not aware of as I dont usually travel during that time.

I would consider just keeping the whole "when you are going to visit" on that partial day up in the air. You can decide if you happen to arrive with enough time to spend a few hours at Disneyland that first night, good. If you dont, you could always spend that few hours at Disneyland before you go on your shopping day if you need to.

Keep in mind that Fridays hours at Disneyland will very likely be starting quite early, usually around 8am so you could easily get in a few hours before heading off to shopping which is more likely to not be open till around 10am on a weekday.

Fastpass machine are NOT available for use for any rides until Park opening time, and then even sometimes they are not available for a while after that for some rides, it just depends on what Disneyland wants to offer for that day, and how busy they think those rides may be ect.

The stratagy is to get a Fastpass as quickly as you can for a busier ride after Park opening time if you are there during Magic Morning. Radiator Springs Racer ride is sightly different since the ride has large wait times, they allow people to line up for the Fastpass machine that 30 min before regular Park opening time, so you can be in line... but no Fastpasses are offered till official opening time.