We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you didn't mind driving 5-10 mins, where would you stay?

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
62 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
If you didn't mind driving 5-10 mins, where would you stay?

We visit Disneyland a few times a year and have passes with parking.

While we have stayed at several hotels over the years, we haven't found one we love and try to go back to (not that they were bad, just not super)....

We have a car and we have parking on our pass, so walking distance is not an issue.

We have 3 children. Now that they are getting older, they don't find sleeping on a mat on the floor an adventure and would like to have a sofa/bed to sleep on (2 queens and a sofa is fine)

I prefer not to pay for parking or, if I do, have it not make the cost of the hotel go over the average cost for the area.

Any favorites or suggestions for me to check out?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,644 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If you didn't mind driving 5-10 mins, where would you stay?

If I don't stay at a Disney hotel, the Residence Inn Maingate is my next choice. Big rooms, full kitchen, free parking, breakfast included, no problem with 5 people.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If you didn't mind driving 5-10 mins, where would you stay?

If you are willing to drive, I would check out the Ayres Anaheim or Ayres Orange. Both very highly rated, free parking, free Wi-Fi, and one of the best free breakfasts in the area, with cooked to order items most days. Not within walking distance, but the Ayres Orange is close to The Outlets at Orange Shoppertainment Mall.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32825-d217225-…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g29092-d225008-…

But even with the free parking, I would opt for using the ART Shuttle system to get to the park, as if you drive to the parking, you still have to board a shuttle/tram from the Parking lot to the parks Main Entrance Plaza area.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,685 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If you didn't mind driving 5-10 mins, where would you stay?

Why dont you tell us what ones you have already stayed in so we can give suggestions that are relevant.

Do you have a budget per night as well? along with dates?

Are you looking for a Hotel with alot of amenities? or a standard place to stay?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you didn't mind driving 5-10 mins, where would you stay?

just curious...sorry for tagging on...but does the parking lot at disney ever get full? for example, if you wanted to arrive mid afternoon or early evening, is there a chance you could not get a parking spot.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If you didn't mind driving 5-10 mins, where would you stay?

Well, Disney operates multiple Parking Lots, and has arrangements with others for the Disneyland Resort.

The two main locations, the Mickey and Friends Parking Structure for those coming from the LA area going south on I-5. The Toy Story Parking Lot is the one designed from people coming up from say, the San Diego area north on I-5. But they have others they can use.

But yes, the main lots do reach capacity, in which signage would be posted directling you to other lots.

Disney is currently starting to build a new Employee Parking Structure at the corner of Ball and Harbor to open up the currently employee parking lot to guests, so it has become an issue. So Disney does try and make sure guests have parking, though you be detoured to a farther lot, and might not be offered a tram/shuttle, such as the parking lot next to the Paradise Pier Hotel. (Usually used for Downtown Disney Parking).

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,685 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If you didn't mind driving 5-10 mins, where would you stay?

It depends on the time of year pretty much, but yes, that can happen if its busy. Thats why there are multiple parking lots for Disneyland.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,644 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If you didn't mind driving 5-10 mins, where would you stay?

I love the Ayres hotels, but I don't think either one can handle 5 people in one room.

If the Disneyland parking lots are full, you don't want to be there anyway.

It happens rarely like July 4th, maybe NYE, dates like that. On a random Wednesday, even in July or August, no.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
62 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If you didn't mind driving 5-10 mins, where would you stay?

When we were there last Sunday they were using the Lilo lot (my fav) and had signs directing people to park in the Grove shopping area (across from Lilo)... We didn't see if the other lots were full. It was "Gay Days" and I'm thinking that there were lots of people there early on Sunday b/c Disneyland wasn't full (we didn't go to DCA at all and that is were the main events for GD's were happening).

I have been told in the summer the lots do fill up but they will redirect, unless the parks are full too. We avoid crazy crowds so we've not had the issue.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If you didn't mind driving 5-10 mins, where would you stay?

You don't mind driving 5-10 minutes (which is very little, in traffic), but the time it takes to find parking (when lots fill varies widely by date and day of the week), wait for a shuttle and then get to the gate will likely take much longer than that.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
62 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If you didn't mind driving 5-10 mins, where would you stay?

Yes, but many places boast that they are "walking distance" so they charge more for a lesser quality place OR charge $15-20 for parking. We don't mind the drive 10 mins from the park and then waiting for the shuttle...