We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anaheim 411 tour

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Anaheim 411 tour

Hi, We are looking at doing the movie star homes & Warner Brothers studio tour with Anaheim 411 in April. Was wanting to hear from anyone who has done this tour, what did you think of it and is it worth it as it is quite expensive compared to similar tours with other companies.

Thanks in advance!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,104 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anaheim 411 tour

Have you searched this forum for that tour. I have seen comments both good and bad on that company

Do look at other options from others as well

Worth it ? So subjective !!

Edited: 20 October 2013, 09:39
Sydney
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anaheim 411 tour

Thanks belomiser, yes I have searched the forum but still undecided :) I think we would like the tour so will do it, just not sure who to go with. Thanks again.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,104 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anaheim 411 tour

It is very early AM in CA, so you will get a response from the folks later on today

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,506 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anaheim 411 tour

As said, reviews are mixed. Some either liked this small tour alot, or, had some issues even getting ahold of the company. So it really is up to you what you may want to do.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,062 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anaheim 411 tour

I'm not a huge fan of taking tours of the city of Los Angeles (and nearby areas) that originate and end in Anaheim. This is because, the tour wastes a lot of time collecting guests from the various hotels, transferring you to a central meeting point, driving through the last of 'rush hour' traffic on the way into the city, and then, after the tour itinerary is completed, the bus sits in afternoon' rush hour traffic on the way back to Anaheim, where you're dropped back at the tour's headquarters where you're assigned to vans that drive around Anaheim dropping everybody off.

If you want to make things simple, the above method is an option but to me, I'd rather be seeing and doing things rather than sitting on a bus going in and out of the city (or waiting for that bus). Here's what I would recommend:

a. Take a short taxi ride (5 minutes) to the Anaheim rail station. -- about $12

b. Take a metrolink (metrolinktrains.com) train to Los Angeles Union (rail) Station -- $9 per person., each way. There's a 7:28 am departure from Anaheim that pulls into Union Station at 8:15. You'll miss the traffic (since the trains are not affected by 'rush hour'), have a pleasant ride with some views (instead of staring at the freeway/motorway) and you'll be able to have a morning snack on the train, if you want.

c. When you arrive at Union Station, you'll get to take a peek at one of L.A.'s treasures (the station!). Transfer to the red line metro rail train to Hollywood. (Make CERTAIN that the train is marked "North Hollywood" as there is more than one train that pulls up to the platform). Get off at the Hollywood & Highland stop. Fare is free (show your metrolink ticket in place of purchasing fare). The transfer takes 21 minutes and trains run every 10 to 12 minutes. There's an 8:25 departure from Union Station that arrives at Hollywood/Highland at 8:56.

d. Exit the metro station onto the sidewalk on Hollywood Bl just west of Highland Av. Walk one minute west (a right turn when you emerge from the station). You are now on the Walk of Fame. You'll see the Chinese Theater up ahead on your right. Enter the courtyard and walk to the ticket booth for Starline Tours which is at the right rear corner of the courtyard.

You now have a host of choices. Here is Starline's website:

www.starlinetours.com/los-angeles-tours.asp

They offer:

a. A 2-hour tour of the Stars' homes

b. A 4-1/2 hour tour to WB which includes the tour of the studios

c. A 5-1/2 hour Grand City Tour of Los Angeles

If it were me, I'd try to do all of them but I'm not sure you'd be able to since the layover would be literally zero minutes at one point and I don't know if Starline can transfer you from one bus to the other in such a short time. Contact them and ask~ Some things to consider:

a. In order to do all three tours, you'd have to take a taxi to WB in order to get there in time for the last tour of the day. If you had the time (and were taking just one other tour), you could simply take a city bus to WB. This would allow you to go to WB whenever you wanted and would be less expensive than the starline tour to WB.

b, You could do just 2 of these tours. The Grand City tour is a nice one but I don't know if you're willing to give up one of the other two.

c, Starline's tour of the star's homes doesn't stop (to let you off) in Beverly Hills and doesn't stop at Carney's -- although they pass by these two areas but the Grand City tour makes several stops including Beverly Hills.

d. Depending on which tours you select, the cost for the day might be less expensive than taking the Anaheim411 tour.

At the end of your touring, you could have dinner in L.A. -- in Hollywood, on the Sunset Strip, at the Farmers Market or the Grove and then make your way back to Union Station for the return train to Anaheim. The last metrolink train departs Union Station at 6:30, arriving Anaheim at 7:13 but there are Amtrak (amtrak.com) trains -- more expensive -- that leave as late as 10:10 pm

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,062 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anaheim 411 tour

Oh, btw, if you wanted to do all three tours, this appears to be the itinerary you'd need to follow:

a. Take the Grand City Tour departing at 9:30

b. You'd return to the ChineseTheater at 3:00 and would need to transfer to the tour of the Star's Homes which also departs at 3:00. (I took it recently and the bus didn't leave until 3:10).

c. You'd return around 5 pm at which time you'd need to take a taxi to WB. The closest taxi stand is at the Roosevelt Hotel (which is 'around the corner' from the Orange Drive entrance driveway to the Hollywood & Highland Mall -- where the Starline buses pull up). Here are 2 maps:

1. One showing this driveway and the Roosevelt hotel

2. One showing the route from the hotel to WB's tour center where the tour begins:

http://mapq.st/17aiLYx

http://mapq.st/19WDdsm

The driving route is about 11 minutes WITH NO TRAFFIC but you'd be driving during 'rush hour' so that would make the drive closer to 30 minutes. The last tour departure at WB is 5:45 so you'd just make it! The taxi ride would be about $20. Note: the address of the 'Tour Center' is 3400 Riverside Drive but you must enter from the rear of the building for tour so, on the map, I provided the address of the rear entrance to the building which faces Warner Blvd.

Once you enter the building, turn left and enter the gift shop. Turn right once inside and walk to the right rear corner of the store and register for the tour. Have fun!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,856 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anaheim 411 tour

I am not a big fan of tours in general, but if I took one it would be with a smaller, more personal operator like Anaheim411.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
195 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anaheim 411 tour

we took this tour last September with Tom, it was a really good tour and I thought it was worth the money! We had a really good day and got really close to the Hollywood sign which was great (have never got that close on other tours that I have been on in previous tours).

my advice if you do decide to book, is to do it a few days in advance just to ensure all the communication is sorted out beforehand if you need to!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
94 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anaheim 411 tour

I've taken that exact tour and written a review for both the Warner Bros lot and the Hollywood tour. The only problem we had was with the WB portion, as you don't get to pick the people that share the golf cart with you - we "lucked" into a large group that were absolutely miserable to ride with. Beyond that issue, it was great experience and totally worth the money.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anaheim 411 tour

HSJ has great comments, but I would NOT go to the Anaheim Train Station.

IMHO, the Fullerton Station is much better, easier to get to using public transit and taxis, same distance from Disneyland, and closer to Union Station. (Less time on the train).

OCTA Public Bus Route 43 or express 543 goes up and down Harbor Blvd, and has a stop right next to the Fullerton Train Station.