We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it packed crowd tracker

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
282 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Is it packed crowd tracker

I have been looking at isitpacked.com to try to decide if early Sept next year would be a good time to go to DL. The forecast calendar does not go that far yet (only goes up to May). My question is do they update the forecast calendar after the date has passed.

So if I look at early Sept 2013 it says 'ghost town' is that what they predicted it would be like or what it was actually like since the date is now passed and they know exactly what the crowd numbers were for any particular date in Sept. is this, in fact, how they predict what crowd numbers will be for the following year. I imagine they take into account large conventions and holidays which may vary from year to year. But is the 2013 calendar a good indication?

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,618 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it packed crowd tracker

I have no idea if that website is reliable. It is never a ghost town in Disneyland! Too many annual passport holders.

I can tell you that in early September each year, both the Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain close to install holiday overlays for Halloweentime and do not reopen until the start of that season. Additionally, Labor Day weekend, on the first weekend of the month, is a very busy holiday weekend and I believe there is a special event that weekend as well. (Half-Marathon)

There are rumors that Tomorrowland section of Disneyland Park will receive a huge make over possibly beginning at the end of summer 2014 to ready it for the anniversary of the park in 2015. I would possibly look at earlier in the year, say May. Or at least be flexible with dates and keep up with rumors. Look into joining Mice Chat and Disboards for ongoing rumors and news.

Another thing about early Sept. It is extremely hot. Arounnd 100 F in Anaheim.

Edited: 18 November 2013, 10:07
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
282 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it packed crowd tracker

Thanks for that. I will look out for the rumours about park attractions. I was originally looking at late sept/oct but the airfares are double around those dates. So by going early Sept I can save about $3000 across the family.

I will have some flexibility in as much as reorganising the itinerary to avoid really packed out dates.

Not too worried about hot weather. We were getting over 100F in early spring this year. Last summer had a couple of days at 113F, that almost made me think about getting air conditioning but it only happens once in a while so not really worth it. Although, today (nearly summer) it was only 68F, I had a sweater on all day!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,462 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it packed crowd tracker

I use that website you mention to get a more general idea of when things might be busier, but I would not count on it as being extremely accurate or anything. It looks like they are only showing info out until July, then its blank after that, so they must do about 8 months out or so. You would just have to wait a while to see that month show up likely. Last years info there is not as accurate since alot of events are on different dates each year ect.

Touring plans also predicts crowds and is pretty good, but does require a subscription ( although is a minimal fee) to their website. ( they usually show about 6 weeks out for free from whatever date is is) They seem to be pretty good. But again, no website is going to be completely accurate, as there are too many different variables to take into account that change from year to year Imo.

You can also look at the various websites that list conventions in the area to see what may be going on such as these two. But, you may be too far out really to see what may be going on for some of Sept of next year. Conventions over about 10,000 can have impacts on crowds at Disneyland, but some wont as well.

anaheimoc.org/convention-calendar/…76-classic

anaheimconventioncenter.com/eventCalendar.as…

You can also keep track of what may be going on with the Mouseplanet website which is a good resource for you as well as you can also look at past years info on what may be going on to see about things for next year somewhat.

www.mouseplanet.com/search.php?type=c&cid=dl

Early Sept though for at least the last 4 years or so has been a pretty quiet time. If you avoid the busy Labor Day Weekend which is August 29th -Sept 1 for 2014, and the busier weekend when Halloweentime starts which is usually always that second Friday in Sept ( which should put it on Sept 12th for 2014, but no official info on that will be out till summertime usually)

And you avoid the last week of Sept as they have been starting the Mickey's Halloween Party nites during the last part of that week usually.

Keep in mind a few things.... The Haunted Mansion is usually closed to get its Holiday overlay for Halloweentime in late August, and doesnt open again till the start of Halloweentime. Space Mountain also gets a Holiday overlay usually at least 3 or 4 days before Halloweentime starts.

As said, Sept can be the hottest time of the year for part of that month so you should be prepared for that and some hot winds that usually blow during that time of year.

Very few Conventions ect are ever held though in Sept making it usually an easier month to pick a less busy time to go.

Hours are usually off season hours, and sometimes like this year could be even shorter than regular hours for alot of the month during weekdays. Its usually around 10am till 8pm M-Thur which longer hours on Weekends Fri,Sat,Sun. Usually Fireworks and Fantasmic show are only offered on the weekends, Fri,Sat,Sun. There is usually a nightly World of Color show.

October is just a busier month with alot going on, and harder to find a time when its not pretty busy now that they have added the Mickey's Halloween Party nites. Usually only the last week of Oct toward the end of the month will have better crowds. And sometimes the first few days of Oct.

Edited: 18 November 2013, 17:03
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
282 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it packed crowd tracker

Thanks for all that info happy, I will certainly check out the sites you gave me.

It's difficult to do too much at the moment as I have started planning quite far in advance and not all the info I need is out there yet. Usually I plan things a week or 2 before we go (I'm quite slack really) but I thought this time I should do more homework as we have 3 kids travelling with us and you can't just show up and hope for the best anymore.

I'm sure I'm over thinking things a bit and I know that whenever we go to DL will be a wonderful experience for us and the kids regardless of crowds and attraction closure.

Cheers.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,462 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it packed crowd tracker

I was giving you a more general idea of what things can be like when trying to find a quite time.

Sept happens though to usually be a much easier time to plan since there not alot going on, and what things there are are usually a set time of that month. So its much easier to plan a trip in that month quite far ahead of time Imo. Pretty much the info I have given for Sept really is set each year bascially the same year after year.

Usually that first week of May is a good time to visit, as theres not alot going on yet, and its a quieter time. Off season info on hours would usually apply as in Sept. But weather is usually mild.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,298 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it packed crowd tracker

>>> since the date is now passed and they know exactly what the crowd numbers were for any particular date in Sept<<<

Well no, that website would not know the exact numbers or even round numbers since Disney never releases daily attendance numbers publicly.

Early September is an okay time to go, but you have to be ready for some big, popular rides to be down to get their annual maintenance work. The rides go through a long hot Summer of 17 to 18 hour days and need to get issues fixed and have preventative maintenance done on them.

I think Disboards is a great place to get information.

www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26

7. Re: Is it packed crowd tracker

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2014, 05:17