We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Club 33

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Topic
Club 33

Hello Disneyland aficionados

In February 2000, my darling wife and I celebrated her 50th birthday with dinner at Blue Bayou. We are Disneyland-lovers from way back, and it was a very special experience for her.

In February 2015, she will be celebrating - you guessed it - her 65th birthday, and I would love to be able to take her to dinner at Club 33. I've researched its accessibility, and as most readers of this post will know, it's only accessible to members (@ $25k joining fee and $10k p/a) and their guests.

As we are from the land down under, we don't know any members, and we certainly can't afford to join ourselves.

Does anyone have any tips as to how I might be able to pull this one off?

Many thanks in hope and anticipation.

Marty

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,957 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Club 33

Not really.

You need to be a member, go with a member or a Disney executive of a certain level. If there were "secret" ways to get in, they would not be secret long given the number of Disney fan boards out there.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,878 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Club 33

As said... sorry, unless you know someone who has a membership.. I dont see how thats possible.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
25,302 posts
5,606 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Club 33

A nice alternative to consider is Napa Rose in the Downtown Disney area - open to all and in my humble opinion a step up from the Blue Bayou (also one of my must do restaurants when visiting Disney)

Sorry cannot help on Club 33 - agree with other responses

but did want to offer a place that is great for celebrations where you just have to step out of the theme park to Downtown Disney to enjoy. We had a very nice celebration dinner here a couple of times and highly recommend,

https:/…

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,753 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Club 33

You could book the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour, which should at least give you a peak in Club 33 and I think they still add a tour of Walt's apartment above the Firehouse on Main Street. What they used to do, I am told is open the door to Club 33 to allow tour members to see the entrance lobby with the antique birdcage elevator. You may get a ride in the Lilly Belle, as well.

The tour won't go to Club 33 in the next few months, though, as work will be in progress for planned changes. The entrance is being changed beginning in a few weeks, which will be on-going for months. Sadly, the Court of Angels was closed and will become the new entrance. I read the elevator may be moved there. A jazz lounge will be added in what were unused rooms above the French Market restaurant. One of the rooms of Club 33 will be gone after the renovations. They need room to put a new kitchen dedicated to Club 33. I assume that by 2015, the tour should offer a peak inside the lobby, but, sadly it won't be the same as in Walt's day.

For a very special celebration, look on line for contests or prize giveaways to stay overnight in the Disneyland Dream Suite, which, in my opinion, is much more special than Club 33 and designed according to Walt's plan. These contests could be through radio or tv stations or other companies. They likely will not do anymore for a few months, due to work going on next door at Club 33 beginning in Jan. And, if there are contests, they might begin in June. They could just be for a Disneyland Resort vacation, but that could include a stay at the Grand Californian Hotel. Contests may be limited to US citizens, but it is a worth searching for information to make sure. You do need to be somewhat flexible with your travel dates. I won a night in the Dream Suite and I know that matching up a date when you can go with what they have available is hard.

Edited: 25 November 2013, 21:04
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,287 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Club 33

I was in Club 33 many years ago for a small charity event sponsored by a member. I can tell you that the ambiance was NOT what I would want for my 65th birthday (Next week), even if I could get in. Animal Head trophies are just not my thing. It is way too masculine IMO.

Napa Rose would offer a much nicer environment and better food.

Take Redland's suggestion and book the tour if you want a peek at Club 33.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,753 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Club 33

If I remember correctly, the animal trophies where removed from that room awhile ago, although the masculine theming stayed. There is more than one room, however, that room is the one that will be removed. Some are upset over that, is this is the room that Walt planned to have automatronic birds in.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,753 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Club 33

Happy early birthday LSCats!

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,155 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Club 33

I agree with Napa Rose. Very nice atmosphere and it's a highely rated restaurant.

I am very sad about Court of Angels being closed. We used to go take photos in there during the holidays. It was all blocked off when we walked by last night.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,287 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Club 33

I think it was about 30 years ago that I was there so my memory is vague but I do remember it was very dark, there were animal heads and we were in an interior dining room. I was underwhelmed.

Thanks for the B'day greeting Red.

Edited: 25 November 2013, 22:25
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,753 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Club 33

I am really sad about the Court of Angels too. I made the most of it when I saw it last. Met a couple and chatted and that is how I found out. We took a lot of pictures there for each other. I would have been really upset if I had not known ahead of my last visit. I just happened to run into nice people who were in the know.

Focus on the beauty of the angel above what was the entrance. It seems to take some of the sadness away, at least it did for me.

Edited: 25 November 2013, 23:16