We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extra leg room on American Airlines?

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Graysville...
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Extra leg room on American Airlines?

For some reason I can never find the airline forum on here. So I decided to post this on here and if someone wants to let me know the airline forum then I will repost it on there.

We are flying to Anaheim in June with American Airlines from Pittsburgh, Pa. The flight there is 5 1/2 hours and flight back 4 1/2 hours. There will be 4 of us. Myself, average size female, my hubby, average size male, but a little claustrophobic, and 2 sons ages 9 and 11 at the time of travel. My hubby says it isn't worth is to pay for the upgrade, we always fly economy to Florida, but it is a 2 hour flight. What are your thoughts?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,434 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extra leg room on American Airlines?

Our thoughts. If you want to sit more comfortably then upgrade or if you are a frequent traveler then it beats coach and if you have miles, sure please do .

It is a personal choice wrt airfare, upgrade cost and your budget

With due respect advise is cheap as it is not our money . As a frequent traveler I upgrade when I can or when we travel abroad or have 6 hour flights for the entire family.

United if an option has economy plus with extra legroom and it is cheaper than business

Edited: 27 November 2013, 17:57
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extra leg room on American Airlines?

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trav…

Regular coach these days is very tight. Do you mean upping to "Economy Plus" (or whatever American calls it)? I suppose part of that depends on the price. Won't matter to the kids but anyone over 5'6" would appreciate it.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,957 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extra leg room on American Airlines?

Air Travel forum is here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trav…

Many times, the first upgrade from economy gives you the bulkhead seats (often called Economy Plus). These are those seats that don't have seats in front of them and therefore, more leg room. They also don't have the seat back tray (tray pops up from beside you) and they do not allow you to store your carry-on in front of you (sometimes you can work it out with the person behind you, but if the plane has those underseat entertainment unit, your personal item goes into the overhead bin and someone has to get up and get things down if you need anything).

For me, those bulkhead seats don't work (I am of average height and don't really need an additional 8 or 9 inches to stick my feet out further), whereas I often do need things from my personal item during the flight. Okay, I'll be honest. I'm constantly getting things in and out of my personal item (eye drops, credit card for in flight purchases, prescriptions, wipes, melatonin, iPhone to take pictures out the window, map of destination, iPad for journaling and movie watching - you name it). I also like the seatback entertainment systems better than the ones that pop up from the armrest because, so far, we've never once had the ones in the armrest actually work (to be fair, we've only done this twice - and we didn't have to pay because they were the only seats left and we just got them).

Some Economy Plus Seats are on the exit aisle too (those might be better, I don't know). Business class is the real upgrade, unfortunately.

Oh - and the bulkhead seats are often near the restrooms which absolutely drove us crazy (there were people literally standing in front of my husband in that space allegedly reserved for his feet and people's bodies pressed against him for big portions of the trip - right after meals and right before landing, etc.)

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,514 posts
5,259 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Extra leg room on American Airlines?

Sounds like you still need to talk with your husband and come to a final agreement

You seem to already know the plus and minus

and we do not know the family budget

Whatever you end up doing have a safe flight.

Graysville...
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Extra leg room on American Airlines?

Thanks for your advice.

There are 30 rows on the plane and right now we are booked in the first row of regular seats, row 19, directly behind the wing. If we upgraded to Main Cabin Extra, 4-6 additional inches of leg room, first rows of main cabin, it would cost an additional $78.00 per person. The Main Cabin Extra seats are located rows 11-14 with 14 and 15 being exit rows, which we couldn't do with younger kids. We obviously would like to save the money, but our family has never been on a flight longer than 2 hours, so was asking your advice for those of you that have upgraded and wondered if it was REALLY worth it. I am 5'6" and my hubby is 6'. I also get in and out of my bags mostly because of my kids. It really doesn't do any good to talk to my husband because he usually likes to take the cheap route unless it makes him too uncomfortable. He always sits with the kids so if he feels like stretching his arms out or lean over, he can do that so his thought is that he is able to fly to Florida that way for 2 hours so what is a little more time, BUT, I am afraid that 2 hours might be his cut off time and he will start to feel cramped, but not sure if 4-6 inches makes that big of a difference.

Edited: 27 November 2013, 19:28
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Extra leg room on American Airlines?

It's not just the extra legroom but having the seat in front of you that much further away. In regular coach, if the person in front of me reclines their seat, I'm practically penned in and it's difficult to use my laptop, etc.

And I'm 5'8"

OTOH, purchasing it for the kids is a waste of money.

Graysville...
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Extra leg room on American Airlines?

Thank You WhiteDahlia!!

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,016 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Extra leg room on American Airlines?

Personally, the few extra inches of legroom make all the difference in a long flight (and I think we're about the same height). Could you possibly put you and hubby in the last row of Main Cabin Extra, and your kids in the first row of regular coach? That way you don't spend the extra money for room that the little 'uns don't need, yet you and hubby get a comfortable ride.

(And have the hubby spend a couple of hours in the kids' coach seat and he won't argue about the difference next time!!)

Edited: 27 November 2013, 22:07
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,434 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Extra leg room on American Airlines?

I am only 5'4" but will pay for economy plus if the price is right and longer than 4 hr flight. Some airlines also release these to coach fare 24 hrs before if not taken but not sure if the case with American. We found out on flights to Hawaii on Alaskan that the "bulkhead" seat is only a cloth partition. Great legroom. Have lucked out several times without paying extra just by checking online about a day before.

Graysville...
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Extra leg room on American Airlines?

SFSusanW, I thought about that, but the seats in between are what they call preferred seats. Not sure why besides being closer to the front of the plane and being able to board first, but no extra leg room. You still have to pay extra for those seats as well though. They cost just about as much as the Cabin Extra.

chinita415, thanks for the tip! I had also thought about waiting until the day before or the day of and see if we could get an upgrade for free or for a smaller fee, but something tells me the flight will be full. It is the only non-stop flight to LAX that day and the non-stop flight is new from PIT to LAX so I figure people will want to jump on that. I could be wrong though.

It will cost around $300 for the 4 of us on the way there to upgrade. I was thinking about doing it as a Christmas gift to all of us and then since the flight home is an hour shorter (4 1/2 hrs.) just staying in regular economy. Thanks for all of your input.