We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday rentals (house/condos) as opposed to hotels

Geelong, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Holiday rentals (house/condos) as opposed to hotels

We are looking at spending around 1-2 weeks in the Anaheim area in September. We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children (15 and 18).

I have looked at a number of hotels in the area as well as a number of rental houses and condos.

A rental looks like an appealing option because of the extra rooms that are available.

My concern with a rental is would there be any risk financially as opposed to dealing with a hotel?

I'm interested in any opinions out there both good an bad regarding the use of rentals.

Many Thanks,

Special Offer
Best of Los Angeles Tour from Anaheim
196 reviews
from US$57.99*
US$67.99
Disneyland or Disney's California...
181 reviews
from US$152.99*
Anaheim Theme Park Transport...
232 reviews
from US$34.99*
Universal Studios Hollywood with...
45 reviews
from US$142.99*
San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday rentals (house/condos) as opposed to hotels

I' m interested in why you would want to spend such a long time in Anaheim. As a tourist destination, it has only a few real attractions.

Edited: 07 December 2013, 01:27
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday rentals (house/condos) as opposed to hotels

I heartily agree with NCG. Anaheim is a place to stay while going to Disneyland. After that, it's time to go.

I assume you plan on time at Disney. How long?

What else do you want to do and see in Southern California after that? The area is extremely spread out as well as densely populated so picking one place as a "base" doesn't work out that well.

Washington State
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday rentals (house/condos) as opposed to hotels

We have stayed in a condo 3 different trips and have had a great experience. We really like having a full kitchen and the amount of space we get with a condo. Especially since we have 4 children. We have gone through vrbo.com. We have paid through paypal to the owners business name, not to the owners name directly. The complex we have stayed at is on the opposite side of the Mickey and Friends parking structure and everything at the park is within walking distance .

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,858 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday rentals (house/condos) as opposed to hotels

Of course there are going to be rentals that you would need to be more careful in dealing with vs a Hotel as there are many more things that can go wrong depending on who you were to rent from ect.

We have had a few people stay in the Condos off of Magic Way and Walnut area that are listed here on Trip Advisor and had good luck with those so far. ( likely the ones that juliannasmommy is talking about) The major drawback of a Condo or home is that there are none in that close of walking distance, and if you are planning on spending multiple days at Disneyland makes it less convenient for you.

The Condos, ect off of Walnut and Magic Way area, are still about a 10 min walk just to get to the Mickey and Friends Parking lot to take the free tram that goes into Disneyland. With that option, it would likely take you about 30 min or so each time you wanted to enter of exit Disneyland. That area also has not much around it at all as far as close restaurants, ect. But some people will pick that option that really want a home type of base and are willing to put up with other inconveniences. So its really up to you.

I believe someone in one of your other posts has already mentioned the Residence Inn Maingate to you which is a good option as well. It's layed out like a low rise Condo like setting with BBQ facilities available. It also offers a shorter 15 min walk total to the Turnstiles that go into either Park, and the Art Shuttle service for a small fee per person if you dont want to walk. It offers free Parking, free Full Breakfast and some weeknight light suppers. It also has full kitchens, and is across the street from the Anaheim Garden walk with lots of restaurants.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,456 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday rentals (house/condos) as opposed to hotels

Since you are coming in September, which can be the hottest month of the year in Southern California, I suggest you look into rental homes near the beach. You will still only be 30 minutes from DL if you have a car, and you will be much more comfortable than you would be staying in Anaheim. You could also rent hotel accommodations for just a few days in Anaheim and then move the coast. Newport Beach offers a lot of rental homes. Check the TA Vacation Rentals link and vrbo.com.

Edited: 08 December 2013, 07:43
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,091 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday rentals (house/condos) as opposed to hotels

1 week vs 2 weeks are very different animals. I get spending a week to see Disneyland, but two weeks is way overkill to stay in Anaheim.

Depending on what else you'd like to see in Southern Cal I'd move to a second or possibly even third location. You could look at San Diego, Orange County beach cities or Los Angeles cities to see the sights in those areas.

Here is a topic on how to find rentals in Orange County. San Diego has a similar topic.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g659482-i12177-k63…

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,582 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday rentals (house/condos) as opposed to hotels

I agree that 2 weeks is too long in Anaheim. As mentioned, it depends on what else you plan to do & see around LA & how many days you want to spend at Disneyland.

When I've finished my 3 or 4 days at Disneyland, I usually relocate to Santa Monica. It's still a bit of a drive to Hollywood etc, but I like the area.

melbourne
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holiday rentals (house/condos) as opposed to hotels

I'll give my view because I did exactly as you all say I shouldn't!

We spent 15 nights in Anaheim. The first 6 nights at Hojo and the next 9 nights in a vacation rental on the other side of Disneyland (walking distance). We loved it.

We had done 5 nights in Anaheim in 2011, then went off to explore the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas and San Diego.

This time we wanted to spend more time at Disneyland, and explore more of the LA type areas. We did Universal, lots of shopping, driving to Santa Monica beach, exploring LA, Hollywood etc.

We did go to Disneyland/DCA on 10 of the days. We explored the whole park, got to do all the small things like the petting zoo etc that we didn't get to last time.

I would definitely say that 15 nights was a perfect amount of time for us, and we didn't feel the need to stay anywhere else.

In regards to a vacation rental, we used one that had been recommended on here by another Aussie. It was wonderful and we had no problems at all.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
370 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holiday rentals (house/condos) as opposed to hotels

Right on Shazza! Glad someone gave this poor chap some encouragement. We've spent over 3 weeks in Anaheim and enjoyed every single day. Stayed in a condo, the walk is nothing compared to the miles you're gonna clock up in the Parks. Our 14 day passes gave us total freedom to use the Parks when we wanted. Besides the obvious reason for staying in Anaheim, we hired a car, drove down to Carlsbad, out to the beaches, up to Universal, shopped at every Mall we could find, wandered around the local Anaheim district and invested heavily in the local economy ha ha. Went to a Ducks game and fell in love with a whole new sport! Kids had a ball, the condo on S. Walnut was perfect and our host was an honest and decent person called Britta. Time out days were spent relaxing by the pools, or just hanging out with our kids in the condo. Basing ourselves in one place meant we only unpacked once and the car hire was factored into our budget from the start.

There's never nothing to do if you use "Some imagination huh?"

Mickey would be proud.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holiday rentals (house/condos) as opposed to hotels

We stayed 12 nights in Anaheim in 2010, 15 nights in 2012 and are staying 16 nights next year. We love basing ourselves in Anaheim and have no problem doing tours to Universal, Knotts, LA etc from there.

We never run out of things to do and love not feeling rushed and being able to fit in some rest days from all the fun

We also like only having to unpack once! :)