We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting a Fastpass for WOC

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,456 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Getting a Fastpass for WOC

Hi,

I've been working on a customized touring plan for a visit to California Adventure on a Thursday in March -- busy spring break season (crowd level prediction of 7) and have an unofficial guide subscription to help me. The one thing I haven't figured out is if I might be able to get a fastpass for WOC and if so how to get that.

I've heard that the good viewing area in front of LIttle Mermaid only holds about 4,300 and that park attendance averages rates are triple that (probably even higher for spring break), so choices for good viewing seem to be get there insanely early (I wouldn't want to get there more than an hour early) or get a fastpass. If you disagree, please educate me.

The park opens at 9 a.m. with no extra magic hours. If I go to the WOC fastpass booth by 10:30 a.m. or so, do you think I'd still be able to get a fastpass?

Also, we would have already at this time pulled a fastpass for Radiator Springs Racers just an hour or so earlier. Do the fastpasses for WOC work just like the other fastpasses where you can only get these after you have ridden your other ride or two hours has passed? I thought I read that these WOC fastpasses were separate in the unofficial guide website and not tied to the windows. But when trying to create a customized touring plan on the unofficial guide website, it would not let me put getting a WOC fastpass within two hours of getting a different fastpass which confuses me. The Unofficial guide IT folks I'm guessing might just not have this exception programmed. I'd love to hear from Disneyland experts, though, to know the official policy on this.

A third option if what I'm thinking above (my first choice) doesn't work is to book one of those fixed price dinner packages at Wine Country Trattoria. That's though $160 for our party before taxes and tip and a good $100 more than what I would otherwise pay for dinner. Of course dinner would be nicer than where we would otherwise but on this little trip add on, the family members with me aren't the ones who really appreciate fine dining. I also don't want to do table service lunch and waste park time on our one and only one CA Adventure day until we've covered our California Adventure must do list, which we should be able to do by dinner time. So I'm thinking about his, but not loving this option. And the Carthay Circle options looked even more expensive, making me learn to Trattoria given those two choices.

Any other thoughts on seeing this show? Ages in our party are 18+ in case that in any way changes what you would suggest (no young children).

We've seen the Bellagio fountain in Las Vega a zillion times it seems like, but love that. Usually hit two shows every day we are in Las Vegas. So I could say, we've seen enough of this kind of stuff that we could skip WOC or I could say, we like this kind of thing so much that we should go see WOC for sure.

**************************************************************************************

Let me know what you think:

My current thoughts are that I want to get a FP for this show and will do one of these two:

Choice 1) FP pickup at 10:30 a.m. if and only if there is an 80% chance I can still get one then and there is no two hour tie in to other fastpasses.

Choice 2) Make a fixed price dinner FP reservation (dinner at 5:30 p.m. or later) for Trattoria. I know that even if WOC is canceled I'm still stuck with the dinner reservation, but at least it sounds like it will be a nice dinner.

I welcome other suggestions.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting a Fastpass for WOC

Here is the order of how to get FastPass at DCA, basic on the current info.

Get in line ASAP for Radiator Springs Racers. This FP does not count (aka stand Alone), then you can get a World of Color FP at Grizzly River Run, also doesn't count (another standalone), then head to something like Soarin' or California Screamin', that one counts, and you need to follow the rules from then on, including using them in the one hour time frame.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,976 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting a Fastpass for WOC

Agree with DB's plan above. We were at DCA right before Thanksgiving when it was very very busy. We did just what he outlined. Someone from my group got Radiator Springs Racers FP first at around 9am - return time was 3:30p. I had to go to the airport that morning and didn't get to the WOC FP line until about 10:15am - surprisingly a very very short line! Got FPs for Ariel's Grotto Blue. Then over to get FPs for Soaring which had a much longer line than WOC.

As for actually getting to the view areas, we started to walk towards Ariel's Grotto about an hour before the show. Cast members did a good job directing traffic. I did some reading before about where to stand. I picked a section and stood right in the first row behind the planter/fence. Perfect spot.

Edited: 01 January 2014, 23:34
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,456 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting a Fastpass for WOC

Sounds like a plan. I'll take everyone's cards and be the fastpass runner and then meet up with the rest of my party. This way they can take advantage of some short lines while I get the fastpasses. Most of the things they'll do those first 40 minutes or so while I get the passes, I don't mind missing (Well except maybe Tower of Terror), but DS likes this so much that we'll probably try to do it a second time anyway and I've done it so many times at WDW it really wouldn't be a big deal for me to miss.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,435 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting a Fastpass for WOC

What you may also want to consider is where you want to be located for the World Of Color show. Fastpasses which are located at the Grizzley River Run Fastpass area are given out with the best areas being dispensed first which is usually the Blue area which is a more preffered area. So it depends on where you want to be able to view the show from when you would want to be in line for that Fastpass.

The Dinner options at Carthay Circle will usually offer a special viewing area that is a preffered area. Where the others will offer a more standard viewing area color.

Heres more info on the World of Color viewing areas. While the Colors may not be the same as they can change, it does give you some idea of where things may be located. Since its standing room only, you can arrive early and pick your spot, but then expect when people come in they are going to want to fit as many people as possible in each area if its busy.

…wdwinfo.com/world-of-color/p74932-world-of-…

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,976 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting a Fastpass for WOC

That diagram happytotrip linked is what I had looked at. Thanks BTW! We managed to stand in the middle of the green backward "C" with our FPs and didn't get the dining option. Lucky me I guess.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting a Fastpass for WOC

"Let me know what you think:" I think you are WAY over thinking and planning. Isn't this supposed to be a vacation? Or is it work? Chuck.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,976 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting a Fastpass for WOC

LOL Chuck! You are so obviously not a member of the Type A club.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,456 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting a Fastpass for WOC

Taking your advice and playing with touring plans, now we'll first thing do Soarin and Tower of Terror all together (My two all time favorite Disney rides, and these should only take about 22 minutes). (We'll be some of the first people there for rope drop). Then I'll get the Radiator Springs and WOC fast passes while others do Monster's Inc. and Muppets, two attractions I'd just assume skip. Then we are back together for the rest of the day having taken advantage of low crowds for rope drop and having gotten those two early fast passes. // This looks perfect. Thanks so much for the advice. This saves me $100 on dinner. We'll have dinner offsite, so lol I guess we could all get those glow in the dark Mickey ears for the night time shows. (We adults actually wouldn't shell out the $25 for us, but I would not be surprised if my 18 year old son and 22 year old niece get them.) // We'll have time too to get to the areas a good 45 minutes or more ahead of the show, so be in decent area with whatever color we get.

Edited: 02 January 2014, 02:07
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting a Fastpass for WOC

With a crowd level of 7, I would opt to get in the gate before rope drop (30 minutes early) and get in line for the RSR FastPass, then WOC. Then you can get FastPasses to Soarin', and when that is used, get the FP for Tower of Terror. If all the shafts are working on ToT, there is usually isn't much of a wait, even in the Stand By Line.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting a Fastpass for WOC

Do they even let you in the main viewing area if you just show up? In the past they did not. There are some areas you can watch from outside the main viewing areas though.