We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proximity to Disneyland vs Standard of accommodation

KNZ
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Proximity to Disneyland vs Standard of accommodation

We are planning a trip to DL in late April as a group of 3 adults and 2 children (7 and 11). We will be staying for more than a week. Last time we were there (5years ago) we stayed at

HoJos and it was great but there were only 2 adults that time and looking at the HoJo site no Queen Suite will be available for our dates. So travel agent has recommended a 2 room queen suite at Hyatt Regency which looks very nice. Our only reservation is that the Hyatt is not walking distance. So my question is should we place greater importance on proximity to DL (and avoiding the wait and cost associated with shuttles) or on the standard of our accommodation?

Also a second question - we are likely to want to do a couple of things in LA such as universal studios and one or tow tours - would it be better for us to check into a hotel in LA for that before transferring to Anaheim or do those trips from Anaheim?

Would really appreciate Any advice on these points!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,061 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Proximity to Disneyland vs Standard of accommodation

The Anaheim experts such as happytotrip will be by later with their advise but as a visitor I think staying close to the park trumps staying away and jumping on shuttles

IMHO it would be best to stay in LA to see LA preferably with a car but the LA forum folks can help you on that forum and then you can move to Anaheim to do the parks

gold coast,australia
Level Contributor
161 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Proximity to Disneyland vs Standard of accommodation

Hi, we stayed at the Hyatt regency in April last year, it's very nice, not within walking distance but the shuttle is very reliable. The cost was $20 per person over 10 for a 5 day unlimited pass, under 10 ride free.

Many dining options available, with a target across the road for food supplies.

You can also use the free OC trolley service that will take you to the outlet shopping centre.

Try google maps and you''ll see what dining options there are.

We really liked it and would stay there again, it is a hotel not a motel unlike many of the accommodations across the road, but it the long term it is only a place to sleep really., good luck and have a great trip.

melbourne
Level Contributor
4,469 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Proximity to Disneyland vs Standard of accommodation

There's no way I'd ever stay further than walking distance to visit Disneyland. I really don't think there's a reason unless you want a really swish hotel.

Also, we stayed in Anaheim the entire time and did day trips to LA, Universal etc from there. We had a car. It was very easy and we didn't find the traffic to be a problem at all.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,026 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Proximity to Disneyland vs Standard of accommodation

If you still want the HOJO, they have connecting rooms for the regular 2 queen rooms. You just have to request it. But it will be paying for 2 rooms so not sure how that will be cost wise. There are always discount codes available.

Edited: 11 January 2014, 14:22
British Columbia...
Level Contributor
932 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Proximity to Disneyland vs Standard of accommodation

We are booked at the best western park place for August. Have stayed twice at hojo and loved it, and once farther away and hated the shuttle. Personally I would never stay where I had to shuttle. I like to just go go go! The best western has suites that sleep 6, which is why we chose it over hojo this time (taking some extra kids!), rating on TA is a solid 4, which sounds good to me, and it's probably your absolute closest to DL.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,409 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Proximity to Disneyland vs Standard of accommodation

We really cant decide for you what may be important to you as far as a place to stay goes. One thing to keep in mind is that the Hyatt is very well rated and a nice Hotel, but is about 1.5 miles from Disneyland, so it may be farther away than what your thinking.

The 2 connecting rooms at Hojos is a good option if you liked staying there, but no guarantees they can accomodate your request usually for Hotels.

If you want a Hotel with suites to sleep your amount of people and be in close walking distance, your going to have to look at standard Motels. Alot of which are well rated, but may or may not be what you are looking for.

If you want to be pretty close to the Main Entrance and be in a Hotel....You could also try something like the Residence Inn Maingate... which is a nice Hotel that offers full free breakfast as well as some weeknight light meals, and full kitchens and larger suites. Its about a 15 min walk to the Turnstiles that go into either Park. Desert Palms... would also be a more basic Hotel...about a 13 min walk. Both would also offer Art Shuttle service.

Heres a Map of Hotels in the area so you can see where things are located in relation to the Disneyland Main Entrance. The Disneyland Main Entrance is off of Harbor Blvd near where it says "East Shuttle Area" on the Map. The Hyatt would be located farther South on Harbor Blvd off of the Map.

printfreemaps.com/maps/freedisneylandareamap…

Hojos appears to have a Kids Suite actually available for late April ( not sure of your exact dates) which would sleep 5

You could also check the Fairfield Inn...... which is a Hotel ( but with mostly Exterior corridors) about an 8 min walk to the Turnstiles. Thier suite would sleep more.

Keep in mind that late April is likely to be very busy everwhere including Disneyland depending on your dates, as theres a large Spring Break the full week before Easter Sunday which for 2014 falls on April 20th. With some Schools taking the full week after.

If you are going to spend a few days or more visiting things in the LA area, its usually suggested to tranfer to that area. Its about a 1 hour drive North of the Anaheim area. However, there are Tours that go from the Anaheim area to the LA area. Grayline Tours and Starline Tours are larger Tour Companies.

Edited: 11 January 2014, 18:11
KNZ
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Proximity to Disneyland vs Standard of accommodation

Thank you all for your quick responses. A nice place to stay is important but doesn't have to be 5 star - HoJo standard was absolutely fine (and loved the comfy beds)! Probably tending towards avoiding a shuttle ...

Would be good to hear what you think of the Best Western vs HoJo Berneice once you.ve been (or from anyone else who has stayed at both).

We won't have a car for the whole time - only planning to hire a car for a few days to get around Anaheim but not sure we will be confident enough to drive into LA itself (not being used to right hand driving). Last time we just did bus tours for universal studios, Hollywood tour etc but will take up the suggestion to head over to LA forum.

Thanks everyone!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,409 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Proximity to Disneyland vs Standard of accommodation

I have stayed in both the BW Park Place Inn and Hojos.

The BW Park Place Inn is a standard well rated Hotel, standard Motel beds. Clean and well run. They are about a 5 min walk across the street to the Turnstiles.

Hojos is a Hotel with interior corridors,and as you said comfortable beds. So really its just the comparison between a Hotel and a Motel and how much that is important to you, and how much time you would actually spend in a room or with the amenities ect. Thats really only something you can decide.

KNZ
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Proximity to Disneyland vs Standard of accommodation

Thanks happytotrip.

Have you also stayed at Residence Inn and/or Fairfield Inn? Would be interested in your view as to how they compare with HoJos.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,409 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Proximity to Disneyland vs Standard of accommodation

Sorry, that should have said "standard well rated MOTEL" not Hotel for the Best Western.

I have done quite alot of research on both of those places you mention to stay, since I might stay there at some point. But I have not stayed in either one yet.

Comparison wise though, the Residence Inn Maingate is a nice well rated Hotel, a step up from the more standard Hotel Howard Johnsons Imo.

The Fairfield Inn... is also a Hotel, but as I said it has mostly exterior corridors, but I have heard very comfortable beds, and clean and nice to stay at. So a more basic Hotel.

Edited: 11 January 2014, 23:02