We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

staying in the park vs out of the park(disneyland)

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
staying in the park vs out of the park(disneyland)

We are traveling to Disneyland for the first time and have tried to get all the info we can. So far all i know for sure is we want to be close to the gates as after long days you want to get to your room and even mid day to relax. So we have looked at staying at the Camelot Hotel because of the big suite and its location. However becasue of a business reason we have been offered the Grand Californian at more than half price from regular price. We are so torn up ; do we stay in the park at the stunning Grand Californian or do we stay outside the gates at a regular hotel for more money than what we would pay for the over stunning grand californian for. I love pools and pool days which the grand has plenty of that....... also we are staying 8 days one child and plan to do things outside of the park like the beach, shoppping , and sea world or the zoo or universal?

california
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: staying in the park vs out of the park(disneyland)

I think if you were offered "more than half price" off you should go with it!!!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,437 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: staying in the park vs out of the park(disneyland)

Welcome to forum posting WerOk,

Im not sure we can really answer this for you. Its alway a question of cost usually and how comfortable you are with spending more. Imo you can have a nice vacation either way, so its really up to you.

The Camelot Inn... is a nice clean well rated standard Motel, and pretty quiet as far as Motels go. Its about a 7 min walk to the Turnstiles that go into either Park. The outside corridors are part of the building itself and nice and wide with no noise when people walk by which is unusual for a Motel. The pool are is very small. If you decide to stay there, the view of the Fireworks is very good from the 5th floor rooms on the North side of the Building, and they usually honor requests.

For Comparison somewhat, as you cant really compare the two properties.... The Grand Californian is going to be closer to California Adventure Park since it has its own private entrance to that Park. But depending on where you are staying within the Hotel, it can be about the same walk as the Camelot is to both Parks. At the Grand Californian, you would also have a very nice pool area, and access to any early entry thats offered on different days in both Parks along with a valid Disneyland ticket. And, it has some good restaurants onsite such as Whitewater Snacks, ( which is a good standard type of place) Storytellers Cafe, and Napa Rose.

https:/…

However, after looking over your post a little more... If you are saying that the Grand Californian will be less money than the Camelot Inn then there is no question at all... stay at the Grand Californian!!!! its an amazing Hotel!!

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,531 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: staying in the park vs out of the park(disneyland)

Just to clarify, the Grand Californian Hotel is not inside either park. Although it does have a private entrance to Disney California Adventure Park (DCA), the hotel is not inside its borders. It is, however. within the Disneyland Resort and accessible to and from Downtown Disney. Downtown Disney is to the west of the wide central plaza that separates the entrances of the two parks. It is a section of the resort that is itself accessible without admission.

To enter Disneyland Park from the Grand Californian Hotel, guests first enter Downtown Disney and walk from there to the central plaza, going through a quick security check area before entering the central plaza, and then walk to the entrance of Disneyland Park. Alternatively, guests of the hotel may enter DCA Park through its private entrance (and possible security check), then walk through DCA and exit that park into the central plaza, then walk to the entrance of Disneyland Park.

There is a private suite of rooms inside Disneyland Park, but that is only available as a contest prize. It is not being used for a few months, though.

If the Grand Californian Hotel will cost you the same or less than the Camelot (motel), I would not hesitate to stay at the GCH! Do make sure you take into consideration the parking fee which can be as high as $32 a night, and any resort fees. You may also want to make budget and plan for meals and possibly eat outside of the resort for some meals.

Edited: 21 January 2014, 00:30
Seattle
Level Contributor
312 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: staying in the park vs out of the park(disneyland)

If you want a wonderful Disney experience and have the opportunity to stay at the GCH, I say go for it! Your family won't be disappointed. They have great heated (salt water) pools, nice restaurants, right next to Downtown Disney and the private CA entrance. You'll also get the early-hour pass that will let you into the parks early before general admissions.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: staying in the park vs out of the park(disneyland)

Is the question should I stay at the Camelot for MORE money than staying at the Grand Californian? If so, I would take DGC without hesitation or further consideration.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: staying in the park vs out of the park(disneyland)

The Disney web site states hotel parking for hotel guests is $15 and $22 for valet. Where did you see higher Red?

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,531 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: staying in the park vs out of the park(disneyland)

I remembered reading it on the offical website when I needed to make arrangements for my stay, but I could br remembering it wrong. (I ended up getting all three cars comped as part of my prize package, so I don't have any record of the cost.) Thanks for checking and correcting my mistake.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,222 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: staying in the park vs out of the park(disneyland)

If you are getting half off at the Grand Californian it isn't even a question, stay there.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: staying in the park vs out of the park(disneyland)

Red, it is a different price if you are not a hotel guest so that may be where you got the higher price.

Edmonton, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: staying in the park vs out of the park(disneyland)

Oh my ok thank you ladies and gents!!! I have never been to california ; I am reading all your posts!! I think I will go to the grand!! I was told why stay in the park if your there for 8 days but we are only going to do " our event" for two of those days? So I heard stay at any motel as you won't be there much anyway!! With the discount I think we have to go to the grand!!!!! Thank you so much!!! We plan to go to Disney max 4 days we want to shop , go to the beach, don't know which one is the best one yet, and maybe San Diego zoo or universal!!! Thank you for your suggestions, these forums are excellent!! But I think I will have to get water by the case and snacks from grocery store and I will plan to eat outside the park sometimes!! Anything else???