We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for DL character dining.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for DL character dining.

Firstly, sorry if this has been previously discussed. I am after some advice for DL character dining. We are staying 5 nights outside the park at Red Lion in February. We have a SoCal Fastpass, which gives a 3 day hopper ticket with 1 magic morning.

I want to take my wife and son (3) to a character dining breakfast. After some advice. My questions are: which is best for mainstream characters (mickey etc.); as we are not staying in a DL hotel will we be able to gain access to these restaurants for breakfast considering the parks don't open until 10am and; how early do I need to book. If so, can I book online as we are coming from Australia And international calls are difficult.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,201 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for DL character dining.

Im assuming you meant to say "SoCal City Pass. As the Fastpass abiliity to use comes within every Disneyland ticket and is free.

Available times are given when you reserve your spot and can be different what times they will offer at different times of year. You can check the availability as well as make reservations online now if you click on whichever Charater meal you want in this post it shows you what to do. It also show info on the various meals to see which ones you may like most.

https:/…

Charater meals inside of Hotels are available to anyone who would like to go to one, as well as walking through the Hotels.

Minnie and Friends at the Plaza Restaurant is popular as well as Goofys Kitchen, Storytellers Cafe as well as the Surfs up breakfast with Mickey and Friends.

Some added info... The Red Lion is a well rated Hotel about a 15 min walk to the Turnstiles that go into either Park walking North on Harbor Blvd to the Crosswalk that goes West and into Disneyland. It also offers Art Shuttle service for a small fee per person if you dont want to walk which can be nice after a long day at Disneyland.

Edited: 21 January 2014, 16:29
Level Contributor
35,741 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for DL character dining.

We had a very nice experience with Goofy's Kitchen @ the beautiful Disneyland Hotel. We made advance reservations and had just a very short wait the day we dined there. We enjoyed two full hours of great food and there were several characters that came to our table for pictures. I highly recommend this character breakfast and the Disneyland Hotel did not charge for parking. :)

melbourne
Level Contributor
4,379 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for DL character dining.

We've done Minnie's breakfast and Goofys dinner. We much preferred Minnie's. Just felt better and had heaps of characters.

We called and it didn't cost much at all. I think you can email them now and they will email back with your time etc.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for DL character dining.

Minnie and friends is inside Disneyland at the Plaza Inn so you will need a entry into Disneyland park on that day. Goofys Kitchen , Storytellers Café and Surfs up at Disney PCH grill are all in the Disney hotels , so no need for a park entry , you can now email from Australia if you don't want to call . Of all of them if you want to see Mickey etc. , I would recommend Surfs up at PCH grill in the Paradise Pier hotel . Otherwise Goofys Kitchen is very good . Make sure you let them know if you are celebrating a special occasion , Birthday, anniversary , graduation .

Edited: 22 January 2014, 01:28
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
898 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for DL character dining.

We have done Goofys for dinner and booked a month or so out via email. We also did Minnies breakfast at Plaza Inn with no booking, and were seated straight away.

Both were really good, but probably had a better time (and stayed longer) at Goofys. Next time I think we will do different dining experiences, probably ariels and storyteller cafe

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,201 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for DL character dining.

One thing to keep in mind is that you actually can likely still do a Charater Meal Breakfast at the Plaza without using a Disneyland ticket unless they have changed things. You show up at the Disneyland Park Entrance, and tell them you are going to a Charater Breakfast, and your name. They look up the info, and someone walks you to the Plaza Inn where you have breakfast, and then leave. Usually Charater Breakfasts are before the Park opens, when just Main Street is open, and sometimes during Magic Morning. So basically the end of Mainstreet is blocked off to access to the Park during that time anyway.

Level Contributor
35,741 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for DL character dining.

We also have done Storytellers several years ago and were much more impressed with Goofy's Kitchen. The food quality was way above average for a buffet. :).

Orange, California
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for DL character dining.

As previously posted you can access all of the disney hotels without entering the park. We have done Goofy's kitchen, surf s up at paradise pier and Ariel's grotto (which is in the park and you would need a ticket)

Surfs up is the ony one with Mickey and it is great, we have done it three times. my daughter just turned four, she was In heaven. They had Stitch, Daisy, Minnie and Pluto the last time we were there.....and Mickey of course. Food was really god, they have a great omelette bar but it was difficult to keep my little one focused on eating. It was really a great experience, the characters stay a long time at your table and they do "events" every thirty minutes or so where the characters and kids all get to dance together at the front, learning dance moves, etc. So Surfs up is my pick for sure.

Ariel's grotto was super lame, waited even though we had a reservation, didn't get drinks until 30 minutes after we were seated. Waiter was very nice but lacking any special touches. Princesses took a picture said one very rehearsed sounding line and moved on. Lame. Why didn't I listen to the reviews??

9. Re: Advice for DL character dining.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2015, 05:20