We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney Parks in one day

HARROGATE
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Disney Parks in one day

We will be visiting Disney for one day; we have a 15 year old son. I see the difference in price between visiting one park or two is 45 dollars each. California Adventure seems the best bet, however I could do with some advice as to whether the other park will interest our son too?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,747 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney Parks in one day

Usually a 2 or 3 day Parkhopper is suggested for a visit, as there is plenty to do in both Parks to keep you busy for at least that amount of time.

Usually for a day, its suggested to visit just Disneyland Park as there is the majority of rides ect at that Park and can easily take at least a day.

And, it depends on if you have visited Disneyland before, if not, then I would suggest just picking one Park, that the 15 year old may like the most after looking at the Disneyland.com website...However, if you have visited before... then a 1 day Parkhopper ticket is a good option.

But that is really up to you what you may want to to , there are plenty of fun things in both Parks to keep a 15 year old busy, its whether or not you would have the time to do the majority of them with just 1 day. But you can get a taste of both Parks with a 1 day Parkhopper ticket.

The two Park entrances are located directly across from each other, so easy to hop back and forth..

arestravel.com/images/…DLR.pdf

Depending on when your visit is for, its may also be quite busy at Disneyland, so you may want to take that into consideration. Also, depending on when your visit is for, and what the hours are at Disneyland if you are visiting from the LA area, you may want to consider spending the night near the entrance at somewhere inexpensive and go back to your LA hotel then next day if you were planning on visiting from the LA area.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,680 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney Parks in one day

Call me crazy, but I think another day at the Disneyland Resort would be far, far more fun for your son then traveling up to Venice Beach and seeing the Hollywood sign. Especially in July. Given July crowds at Disneyland it might take two full days to see what you want.

What is it he expects Venice Beach to be?

How are you getting from San Francisco to LA? How many total nights is the trip? What else are you seeing besides San Francisco and Anaheim?

People will be able to give much better answers if they see the whole picture. It is a bit like asking blindfolded people to describe an elephant when one is allowed only to feel the trunk, one to feel the body and one to feel the tail. Each will give a very different description.

Edited: 05 February 2014, 19:27
Level Contributor
35,258 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney Parks in one day

If you only have one day, go to Disneyland! There is so much to see and do there. Parades, Fantastmic, the fireworks and lots of fun rides. Get there early and stay until closing. If you can go mid-week the crowds will be much less than on a weekend. Have fun! :)

HARROGATE
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney Parks in one day

Thank you so much syrahgirl and happytotrip for your advice. This week is the first time I have asked any advice on this site although I have been registered on it for a few years. The comment from scottca075 might put me off asking for any further advice in the future.......

Edited: 06 February 2014, 13:00
Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
324 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney Parks in one day

We'll actually I feel like we could use a few more people like Scott on this site ... He's really right about Disneyland ... There is so much to see that you really do need more than 1 day. Stuff like the Hollywood sign, Chinese Theatre, Walk of Fame ... These take few minutes to see ... And not a great area of town.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney Parks in one day

I read in your other post that you are allowing your 15 yo to decide what to do on the Anaheim portion of your trip. What does he think about the parks? You and he can go on Disneyland's website and look at the rides and attractions and see what is of interest to him. The parks will be very crowded in July and it will likely get hot. If you only have 1 day you can always start with a 1 day 1 park ticket to DCA, if you decide you want to visit DL as well you can upgrade to a park hopper at the ticket window (one contributor called and confirmed this in the past). You likely will only have time for 1 park unless you really pick and choose the rides and attractions. If you want to visit both parks, you really need 2 days. 1 day for each park would work.

I can see wanting to do the Hollywood sign, Theater, Walk of Fame, etc. as they are very famous. Those can probably be done in 2 hours depending how much you look around.

As for Venice Beach, have you read reviews about the place? If not, please do and decide if it is where you want to take your son. Be aware of the very obvious drug culture presence. My cousin was recently shocked in a 5 minute pop by about the marijuana dispensaries, etc. She only knew the Venice portrayed in the movies and on TV and had no idea about the reality.

Edited: 06 February 2014, 15:08
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disney Parks in one day

To me when this question comes up (one day for Disney - do I do both parks or just one or the other?) I tend to think that one or the other is the best answer. With one day, you can't really see all of Disneyland itself. California Adventure is more manageable in one day. Regardless, you've got the same limited amount of time no matter which you chose, so you aren't really going to see any "more" if you do both parks - more variety, yes, but not more in a quantity sense. So to me it makes more sense to pick one park or the other, focus on it, and save a little money by not paying to see both. Or, just be prepared to explore two a lot less thoroughly than one if you only do one.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,747 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disney Parks in one day

I like Scotts "tell it like it is" additude, and am grateful for thier informative posts here on the Anaheim forum. I also liked the Elephant Metaphor in their post here ;) ....... So please dont discount or be offended by thier info, since they are also just trying to help you plan an enjoyable trip, and what we all try to do here......

Edited: 06 February 2014, 19:49
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,747 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disney Parks in one day

Sorry, that should have said "attitude" not "additude" :)

HARROGATE
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Disney Parks in one day

Thank you everybody for all the advice. We have decided to arrive earlier at our hotel near Disney on the Wednesday and go visit one of the parks and then allocate another day to visit the other one. We are spending four nights in San Francisco and three nights in Anaheim and then we are going to Utah for 10 days to see family.