We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LIttle Mermaid ride and Alice in Wonderland refurbs

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
29,598 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
LIttle Mermaid ride and Alice in Wonderland refurbs

Looks like Disneyland has just officially annouced refurbishment schedules for these two rides.

>>>>" Alice in Wonderland at Disneyland park will close at the end of the operating day on March 9 for an extended refurbishment. In addition to routine maintenance, minor changes will be made to the exterior of the attraction. Alice in Wonderland is scheduled to reopen summer 2014">>>>

>>>>"At Disney California Adventure park, The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel’s Undersea Adventure will close at the end of the operating day on March 19 for maintenance, and is scheduled to reopen in late spring.">>>>>

…go.com/blog/…

Interesting to note... no exact dates are given for when they will reopen. Who knows if these dates or info will even be there a few months from now?

Mentioned in this post
Disneyland Park
Disneyland Park
24,324 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Disney California Adventure Park
Disney California...
13,530 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
543 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LIttle Mermaid ride and Alice in Wonderland refurbs

There is a rumor that Little Mermaid is getting the "upgrade" that has been intended for a while for the 60th anniversary of Disneyland. "This was the concept to fix the big Under The Sea room in this Omnimover ride with new lighting and less obtrusive infrastructure for the ceiling-mounted mechanics. New projection effects, tweaked animatronics, and reworked staging for several of the smaller scenes in this ride were also planned."

Mermaid rarely has a line, so they probably thought a good time to update. Interesting on Alice ride - wonder what will be changed?

There is also a rumor they're working to go ahead on a "Soarin' over California" change that will change it to scenes from all over the world & upgrade to digital and improve the audio. Apparently its the version that will debut at Shanghai Disneyland.

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
307 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LIttle Mermaid ride and Alice in Wonderland refurbs

Other sites have reported this "breaking news" as if it was,well ,"breaking news". If you know where to look, you would have seen that Disney has listed re-opening dates for several weeks. Of course, given recent history, the dates should hardly be considered to be set in stone, but the dates on the Disneyland web site - let's call them projected re-opening dates - are July 4 for Alice and May 10 for Ariel.

[Too bad there's no way to attach an image to a post, so you'll only be able to see the relevant "Closed for refurbishment" blurbs in your mind's eye.]

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LIttle Mermaid ride and Alice in Wonderland refurbs

I'm old enough to remember when Alice in Wonderland was a new ride, starting after similar rides such as Mt. Road, Peter Pan and Snow White. The cars spent more time outside, which seemed a waste. I loved those rides when I was young, but when I have returned as an adult, they seem old and simplistic (maybe like me?).

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
29,598 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LIttle Mermaid ride and Alice in Wonderland refurbs

corona,

I didnt say the info was necessarily "new" as far as refurbishments go, those two were listed on unofficial sites. Just the vague dates they are giving for them being finished in the official version are interesting.

Perhaps you can post where officially Disneyland has announced the dates you have mentioned? Id be curious to know.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,994 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LIttle Mermaid ride and Alice in Wonderland refurbs

There was a whole discussion about the safety of Alice and whether people could walk off the ride down that outside "wavey coaster" (which is still enough of a thrill ride for this poster). It needed rails. I can't recall if they already did that, but if they did, they probably need to check to see if the system works and is stable. Many rides need special cars added that can accommodate wheelchairs and Alice was scheduled to get those - but then, that same ramp/wavey coaster has to accommodate wheel chairs in case of evacuation). Anyway, a lot of closures at Disney seem to be related to ADA compliance, an ongoing process. I know they debated about whether to have wheelchair capable cars on Alice - but I sure don't know what they decided. Obviously, not all rides (Matterhorn??) can have wheelchairs on them but some can...

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
307 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LIttle Mermaid ride and Alice in Wonderland refurbs

It's no secret, but it is kind of tricky. Simply go the map of either or both parks. The trick is that you will obviously not want to see "All Activities", so you choose "Attractions". That is the sensible thing to do, but what does sense have to do with Disney refurbs? You have to wade through a bunch of irrelevant garbage on the map, find the particular ride in question, click, and voila

http://i60.tinypic.com/13zwj1f.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/2vmbsao.jpg

Edited: 26 February 2014, 18:28
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
29,598 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LIttle Mermaid ride and Alice in Wonderland refurbs

Interesing info corona, Thanks

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
29,598 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LIttle Mermaid ride and Alice in Wonderland refurbs

So... I went to the Map for the Parks, clicked on "attractions" under the "all activites" heading, and then clicked on a specific Park in the upper left " where it says "all Parks and resorts" heading ).

Then in the upper right of the page there is a calendar option, so, I basically put in a date. ( even if its todays date, you have to put in a date) and it showed the rides under refurbishments during that time in a different color in gray on the Map. From that point, you could then click on a ride within the Map to see what the dates of the Refurbishment would be.. pretty easy. However, I did have to specify a Park before it would show rides under refurbishment in gray on the Map.

Heres the Map page on the Disneyland.com website that I started from in case anyone else wants to try things out... pretty neat.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/maps/

Edited: 26 February 2014, 21:21
9. Re: LIttle Mermaid ride and Alice in Wonderland refurbs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2015, 06:22