We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self drive days trips from Anaheim

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
150 posts
172 reviews
Save Topic
Self drive days trips from Anaheim

My family and I are heading to USA next month and staying in Anaheim for 2 weeks. We are looking at breaking up the trip by doing a day trip and driving somewhere out of the city etc.

Looking for ideas for day trip locations from Anaheim. I have noticed there are several national parks etc east and north east from Anaheim but not sure.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,507 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self drive days trips from Anaheim

Hi,

Most of us would wonder why Anaheim for 2 weeks but that is another story.

Have you no interest in the cities of LA or San Diego?? They are each about 1 hr. north and 1 1/2 hours south. Perhaps let us know the sort of activities/sights that interest you and it would be possible to make better suggestions. There is Joshua Tree in the desert to the east but if you are here in summer I wouldn't suggest doing that.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,061 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self drive days trips from Anaheim

2 weeks in Anaheim ? Wow. All theme parks all the time I guess. There are so many great areas to spend time after the theme parks, even the nearby beach cities would be more fun imho

Plus what riffm said

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,004 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self drive days trips from Anaheim

Most of the "close" spectacular national parks like Yosemite, Sequoia Kings Canyon, Grand Canyon and Death Valley are not day trips. Joshua Tree is a day, but a long one.

Even if I had a 10 day pass I don't know if I would spend two weeks in Anaheim as there is so much more to So Cal and California. It would be like going to Oz for two weeks and spending most of it in The Rocks.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,409 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self drive days trips from Anaheim

Its usually suggested to split your stay with such a long time, as there are lots of things you may want to see that were suggested that would take more than a daytrip.

However, There are lots of things you can do if you are set upon staying in one place. That is of course an option for some who want to do that. As some dont want to move Hotels, ect.

LA has lots to offer ( about a 1 hour drive North of Anaheim)

Such as Griffith Observatory..... which is a beautiful structure and very good shows ect

Santa Monica... which has a nice tropical feel beach area with nice sand.

California Science Museum.... with the Space Shuttle on Exhibit,and hand on museum is very good! Just to name a few things, there are lots of others that are mentioned in the LA Forum page under "top Questions"

San Diego... is also a great place to visit and offers lots to do about a 90 min drive South of Anaheim.

Such as... SeaWorld, San Diego Zoo, Midway Ship Museum, Balboa Park, lots of Museums, La Jolla Cove, ect, ect. They would also have more info on thier website.

Legoland... in Carlsbad is about a 45 min drive from Anaheim. And there is Laguna Beach, ect.

Places like Newport Beach and Huntington Beach are nice to visit as well and will be a shorter drive of around 30 to 40 min from Anaheim.

The Anaheim forum also has a list of things to do in the area in thier "top questions".

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
150 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self drive days trips from Anaheim

Thanks for the reply. It's more like 12 days I only rounded it up. We are fortunate enough that we get to travel to a lot of places including the USA regularly. This is a short break for us and wanted to stay around Anaheim.

I did have San Diego as a planned trip as we have not been there before. I was just wanting to know if there was anything out of the Anaheim area that was a must do.

Again any ideas are welcome. As for activities we have two children 6 and 4 yr old and we are open to anything especially outdoors.

Thanks

MattRickie.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
54,004 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Self drive days trips from Anaheim

Not a "must" and a long day, but I think worth it is a day at Big Bear Lake. It is a side of So Cal few visitors see.

http://goo.gl/maps/o57js

http://www.bigbear.com/

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
54,004 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Self drive days trips from Anaheim

Oh.... also a long day trip could be the Palm Springs Aerial Tram with a stop at the Cabazon Premium Outlets.

california
Level Contributor
852 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Self drive days trips from Anaheim

With a six and four year old, I would go down to San Diego, maybe even for a couple of days. More theme parks and the beaches down there await. At that age my kids LOVED LEGOLAND. If you want to stay within an hour of Anaheim, you could go spend a day in Long Beach. They have a really great aquarium there and good restaurants/fun restaurants adjacent. Also, if you're actually in Anaheim, an afternoon in Newport or Huntington Beach could be a fun excursion for a 6 and 4 year old. Since I live in Tustin, I think a picnic at Irvine Regional Park is nice too; horse rides, train, small zoo and wonderful playgrounds.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Self drive days trips from Anaheim

Your reasoning for spending 12 days at Anaheim makes sense. Enjoy the break.

You've been given lots of day trip options to consider, including Long Beach.

If you're into history, Long Beach is well worth a visit to see the Queen Mary. As well as its prime place as one of the greatest ever ocean liners, it also has a strong Australian connection. During World War II, it was converted to a troop ship. In 1943, it transported the magnificent 9th Division of the AIF back from fighting the Germans & Italians in North Africa to Australia (much to the chagrin of Winston Churchill, who thought they should stay there rather than defend their own country) en route to New Guinea to fight the Japanese. And the rest is history - Australia has never produced a more gallant body of men.

Anyway, enough history for today. Suffice it to say that Long Beach is well worth a visit, if only to see the QM.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
628 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Self drive days trips from Anaheim

Some of our favourites are;

the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, La Brea Tar Pits, Yorba Regional Park (so the kids can run around and be kids for a bit), the California Science Centre, Venice Beach and Olvera Street