We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Older style $100 notes

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Older style $100 notes

Hi we are coming to the USA in April and will be in LA/anaheim for 13 nights. I will be bringing some $100 notes left over from a trip to the states my In-laws did about 20 years ago. I know these notes are still legal tender as I have checked with a bank in New Zealand that they are, but My question is.....will I have any trouble using them in shops and restaurants as I believe that there has been 2 changes in the appearance of the $100 since these ones. thanks for any replies received

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,945 posts
5,139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Older style $100 notes

There are several styles of 100 dollars out right now.

I don't think you will have an issue

but if you do just stop by a US bank and they should be able to help you out (i.e. take your old ones and reissue you newer ones.)

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
17,813 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Older style $100 notes

No trouble due to the older issue, but you might have trouble paying with any $100 bill if the particular place of business prefers nothing larger than a twenty dollar bill. Most businesses are not like that, though, and if they are they will post it. Some cashiers have special pens they will make large bills with than help determine the authenticity. So you might see someone look at the bill and pull out a pen and mark it.

Edited: 27 March 2014, 08:08
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
17,813 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Older style $100 notes

Opps - I meant to say, "Some cashiers have special pens they will mark large bills with...."

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Older style $100 notes

Yes, the issue will not be that the notes are old or not the current style - they are still legal currency and as I believe you will find written somewhere on the note, valid for all debts public and private. The issue would be that some shops will not accept notes larger than $20 or $50 - just to protect themselves against receiving large amounts of counterfeit currency, or from having to return large amounts of change to you - especially true in shops where the typical amount of a sale is far below $100.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,506 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Older style $100 notes

Keep in mind also that at Disneyland in the mornings often they wont let you use a $100 bill for payment, as they havent got the change from the days sales yet is what I was told a few times when I tried to use those kind of bills too early in the morning when I have visited Disneyland.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Older style $100 notes

I know what OP is talking about. When we were in New Zealand a couple of years back, I had some older $20, 50 100 and had trouble negotiating them. The merchants wanted the new issue currency, even though they also said: "This Note is Legal Tender for...". Chuck.

Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Older style $100 notes

Well Im glad the note itself will be fine, does anyone know if there is a bank within walking distance of disneyland that I can exchange them for smaller notes if it becomes an issue.. we are staying at the anaheim plaza hotel. thanks

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,590 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Older style $100 notes

I would first ask the hotel if they would be willing to break them down for you. Two problems solved if they will.

9. Re: Older style $100 notes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2015, 06:16