We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fireworks outside park and trip back to ocean question

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
fireworks outside park and trip back to ocean question

Heading to DL in mid June Mon-Thurs- we are hoping to fly in and spend time at the beach, see sunset on the beach, drive to hotel across from DL (Ramada) in time for fireworks. Can you see then outside of the park- and is anyplace better than another if so?

2 days in DL- with one at each park is the next plan, then back to a beach before a 4pm flight out.

thought we'd sleep in till 8 if possible that last day, grab something to eat (miss rush hour) and head back to play on the beach again or just explore before flying out. Traveling with 14 year old niece who is likely to be up for anything in or out of the water with exception of shopping- like the idea of being in the water. She has never seen an ocean and this is her first trip to DL so wanted to get in a couple of experiences for both

returning to Phoenix so only an hour flight- so was thinking just a rinse off should be fine if we get in the water and have towels.

any suggestions? Sorry if redundant question- just started researching this trip here

So looking for place for fireworks outside park for first night, and best beaches coming in and going out

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,856 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fireworks outside park and trip back to ocean question

You could get a pretty good view of them just walking up the street a little from the Ramada.

However when staying at the Ramada, you would want to make sure that you have a recently updated room, or are staying in one of thier new Family Suites, as not all of the Motel has been rennovated, and rooms that are not are pretty shabby looking and not well kept Imo. Also keep in mind that the Ramada's rooms are set farther back from the road, and the new family suites a little farther. So your looking at about a 10 min walk or so to the Turnstiles from the Hotel.

I would suggest to view the Fireworks from outside the Park, walking to Disneyland, and bringing a blanket with you and just sitting in the area inbetween the two Parks. Its a pretty good view of the large Fireworks from that area, and not ticket needed to enter that area.

Keep in mind though in mid June, sunset is likely to be around 8pm or a little after that, which will require that you time things just right. I would suggest visiting Huntington Beach which is a short 30 min drive from Anaheim. They have a nice Pier there, and Rubys Diner to eat at the end of the pier ( just standard food) along with some small shops and restaurants in close walking distance.

Fireworks in June which is busy for Disneyland as alot of Schools are on a summer break would usually be 9:30pm.

Manhatten Beach is close to LAX, so you could stop there for your beach time before leaving.

But not sure why you are not just flying into SNA which is half the distance to Disneyland that LAX is. ? Unless flights make it alot more expensive.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fireworks outside park and trip back to ocean question

thanks H2T- last time you helped me out was on our vacation in So Utah- and good advice there as well!

I was hoping you could see the fireworks from the "inbetween area" as that I think will be doable.

I was thinking of LAX because I want her to get to the ocean twice and thought that would put us closer both coming and going. Is it not faster from there or do the highways make more sense to fly into SNA? I am not familiar with this area at all- but someone mentioned that I would be doing a lot of backtracking to get to the ocean flying into LAX - not sure she meant by that- isn't it right near the coast?

I have not bought plane tickets yet- but did see the cost was better for LAX- that's less important than convenience for getting to the ocean- but is something I am factoring in- if that makes sense.

thanks again for your feedback!

Edited: 27 March 2014, 23:12
3. Re: fireworks outside park and trip back to ocean question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 March 2014, 23:57
Edited: 27 March 2014, 23:57
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,856 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fireworks outside park and trip back to ocean question

Yes, LAX is pretty near the ocean, but, the more interesting areas at least to me closest there would be Manhatten Beach which is close to LAX, so you could do that beach both comming and going.

Im not sure what I was really thinking, Huntington Beach really wouldnt make much sense, as it would be a farther drive for that first day.

Since Beaches such as Newport and Huntington, even Laguana Beach are pretty close to Anaheim though, if you want to visit those, or more than one beach, then it makes more sense to me to fly in and out of SNA.

For example, if you flew into SNA, then you could go directly to Huntington beach in about 20 min. Then it would be about another 30 min to get back to Anaheim. Your just going to also miss alot of the rougher traffic thats around LAX which is nice. SNA is also a smaller Airport, and a little less congested driving conditions would make it more appealing at least to me.

So theres nothing wrong with flying into LAX , if its offers a substantial discount for you, or you just want to. Just some reasons to consider something else. Edited: 7:52 pm, today

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,415 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fireworks outside park and trip back to ocean question

The Newport Pier in Newport is actually closer and faster than the Huntington Beach Pier.

http://goo.gl/maps/Csjsx Newport Pier

http://goo.gl/maps/X1KBJ Huntington Beach Pier

John Wayne Airport (SNA) is also closer to the Newport Pier as SNA is partly in Newport Beach.

http://goo.gl/maps/onPGm SNA to Newport Pier

The airfare is usually higher to John Wayne than LAX, but it would have to be SUBSTANTIALLY higher, like $75 each to get me to choose LAX over SNA.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fireworks outside park and trip back to ocean question

well- thank you- talked me out of LAX- just got tickets for SNA as they went down considerably from last check (pretty comparable now) and I did not realize Newport or the other beaches were so close to SNA- makes a big difference and staying away from LA proper makes a lot of sense. I think I also checked and found rentals a LOT cheaper from LAX and that may have swayed me previously, but for the gas and convenience I think this will be worth it. Time to check for cars now.

Is this the right forum for guidance on the 3 beaches you mentioned? I'll take her to Newport for sure- been there and know we can rent bikes, go across the canal and explore that area which she'll enjoy. Just not sure where the best place would be to get in the water. Or if the seal refuge is worth the drive up past Huntington (been looking at a map finally). We're not leaving until 7:45pm Thurs so will have a full day for departure

thanks again! you've been very helpful!!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,415 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: fireworks outside park and trip back to ocean question

You can ask about the beach cities in their individual forums or the Orange County Forum, which is one level up from this one. There are also top questions in the city forums about the individual cites.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,856 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: fireworks outside park and trip back to ocean question

I like the Crystal Cove area. Its pretty easy to get to, and you can drive in and drop people off, and then back across the street for parking. ( theres an underground access where you can walk under the road) and at busy times a bus service for a small fee, but the walk is not long. Parking is at the Los Trancos parking lot.

The advantage to that are in June is the beaches can get very congested, and this is a nice quiet beach even in the summertime, so its something to consider if that may be important to you. But it is about another 20 min farther South than Newport Beach.

california
Level Contributor
786 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: fireworks outside park and trip back to ocean question

Crystal Cove is a great place to be in the water, look at tide pools. The cottage at the far south end of the beach was used in filming "Beaches". On the water there is a restaurant called The Beachcomber. GREAT breakfasts, but a little pricey. Up at the top of the bluff along PCH is a restaurant run by Ruby's called, The Shake Shack. GREAT shakes and pretty good burgers and fries too. I think Newport Beach (and Balboa Fun Zone) one day and Crystal Cove the other, will give you two different CA beach experiences, both VERY close to SNA.

M D
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: fireworks outside park and trip back to ocean question

Fireworks are every night. Sunsets are every night. If you're there for three nights, why are you trying to do them in the same night? Could you just stay at the park late one night and go to the beach the next?